Author Topic: SDC Vs. other MO theme parks  (Read 17395 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
SDC Vs. other MO theme parks
« on: September 06, 2012, 08:50:18 AM »
I think most of us would agree, SDC tops the three major Missouri theme parks for overall quality. How do Worlds of Fun and Six Flags compair to SDC? Which of the other two parks comes in as second best...which is in third place. Me: SDC is #1, Six Flags #2, Worlds of Fun #3. That primarily is because as a kid living in the St. Louis area, Six Flags was nearby and easy to access for our family every few years. Worlds of Fun has been a one time trip for me, back about 1990. Spent about half a day there, saw it, rode a few rides, saw a couple of shows, and was ready to hit the parking lot. Perhaps because by this time I was in my mid 20's, and our family never visited there when I was a kid. How about you?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
Re: SDC Vs. other MO theme parks
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 10:35:35 AM »
MO has other theme parks besides SDC???  :P
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 06:51:43 PM »
THEME PARKS (heavy on theme) in MISSOURI
1. Silver Dollar City 2. Worlds of Fun 3. Six Flags St. Louis

THRILL PARKS (heavy on thrill rides) in MISSOURI
1. Six Flags 2. Worlds of Fun 3. Silver Dollar City

BEST VALUE (most fun/activities for the dollar) in MISSOURI
1. Worlds of Fun 2. Six Flags St. Louis 3. Silver Dollar City

While Silver Dollar City is great as theme park, it falls flat when it comes to having a wide variety of rides and attractions.  It is top heavy on coasters and shows and bottom heavy on kiddie stuff but it fails in the midsection - on the rides that the whole family can ride together that are not too intense or too mild.  The big plus here is the different festivals, but I think the park relies too heavy on them as "new things" each year as opposed to actually adding something new that can be enjoyed the entire season.  SDC OWNS Christmas in Missouri.

Six Flags St. Louis is a great value as it includes both Hurricane Harbor and Six Flags St. Louis.  The problem here is that it has become a thrill destination park.  If you don't like major coasters and major thrill rides there is not much for you to do here.  The live shows are non existant and those that they do have are half-***ed.  The are practically no flat rides to speak of here.  There is a kiddie section but no rides really to ride as a family.

Worlds of Fun is also a great value starting in 2013 when Oceans of Fun is included in the park admission.  The park gives a lightly themed atmosphere that beats anything that Six Flags has to offer, but doesn't go over the top like SDC does.  The park has many rides for all spectrums of visitors including major thrill rides to medium rides and even kiddie rides.  The live shows are really good for a chain park.  Their Halloween HAUNT is second to none in the state and makes the big haunts in downtown KC look silly.  Worlds of Fun OWNS Halloween in Missouri.
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 01:23:53 AM »

What??  Really?? More than 1..??

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 09:17:23 AM »
We are planning to hit Worlds of Fun first weekend of Oct to take in the Halloween feel. My daughter loves spinning coasters and they have one too. Swoosh is right. Little middle ground rides at SDC. I'm thrilled that Outlaw run being built but my wife will never touch it. A solid twisty like Ozcat and she's on board.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 10:12:48 PM »

That's exactly what I was thinking before I even clicked on this forum :)
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 03:59:53 PM »
I guess I'm just an old fogey. I'm not that much into rides anymore. The food, the crafts and the music are what keep me going back.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 11:55:46 AM »
I'm not that much into rides anymore. The food, the crafts and the music are what keep me going back.

Same here.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 09:43:17 AM »
I guess I'm just an old fogey. I'm not that much into rides anymore. The food, the crafts and the music are what keep me going back.

YEP!!!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 07:20:23 PM »

...and years of memories. 

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 08:15:41 PM »

Yep!

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 03:09:48 AM »
Ugh. I went to Six Flags this year for only the second time in my life, with the first being when I was so young I wasn't allowed on any of the thrill rides, and good lord, I hated it.

Granted, it was one of our hottest days this summer, but even if it hadn't been, I just wasn't impressed. A good number of the rides can also be found at Worlds of Fun, and those that can't just aren't my thing.

I didn't get to ride the shot tower or Batman coaster 'cause their over-the-shoulder restraints did not fit over my womanly figure. I've never had that problem with Detonator or Patriot at Worlds of Fun.

After my last trip to Worlds of Fun a couple years ago, I'll never go again during the summer, but I'm more than up for going again during Halloween. Worlds of Fun is AMAZING at Halloween. Long hours for riding rides and doing the haunts, and the weather is much milder.

But overall, SDC will always win for me because of the quality and pricing of the food, the quality of the entertainment, and the cleanliness and friendliness (although, I do have to give some credit to Six Flags -- they were touting their cleanliness this year, and it really was very well kept up; their employees, too, didn't seem as resentful about being there as the kids working at Worlds of Fun always do).

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 05:07:44 PM »
Ugh. I went to Six Flags this year for only the second time in my life, with the first being when I was so young I wasn't allowed on any of the thrill rides, and good lord, I hated it.
I've always hated Six Flags, even when I was a kid. I think the last time I went I was bout 12, and I didn't even want to go.

There was never anything fun about standing in line forever in the blazing Texas sun just to ride a ride.

of course, I'd been spoiled by the atmosphere of SDC since I was just 6, before there were any rides other than FITH.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 02:33:50 PM »
I have always hated Six Flags too, but when friends give you free tickets and guilt you into going, you have to try your hardest to pretend you are having fun (it's happened to me).
I've never been to Worlds of Fun, but I've been wanting to. I get the chance in March 2013 when the local high school band that my sister is in goes to KC for a few days to play at various places. Worlds of Fun is one of the places they are playing at, so I'm excited for that.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 07:25:32 PM »
I used to like WOF, but the last time we there a few years ago, the theming had really gone awry. Talk about not in Miss Mary's time, a 50's diner in Africa? Come on!
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett