Author Topic: Escape from the Flooded Mine  (Read 8186 times)

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Escape from the Flooded Mine
« on: August 29, 2012, 11:31:25 AM »
First of all i am fairly new here, so hopefully I will not be stepping on any toes or offending anyone with this post. Also, this probably should have been posted in the thread about new attraction ideas, but for some reason I just wanted to start my first thread. ;D I have heard snippets of a city rebuild and have wondered what this would mean. Some of our beloved attractions are really starting to show their age and are in desperate need of a rehab or replacement. Here is my idea to help that along and free up space for future expansions.

New Attraction: Escape From The Flooded Mine

This attraction would be a modern version of the old log flume concept and be a Mountain type adventure. It would be located in the area of the park where the Waterbogan used to be, and take in splash harbor and part of lake silver. I have checked Google maps and believe it could fit.

Theme: As in the old flooded mine you would board your ore carts or logs as a prisoner being transported to the inner reaches of the mine. You would pass old familiar  scenes along with new scenes on you way to you imprisonment. Instead of old animatronic characters though more modern techniques could be used like water projection screens mixed in with traditional. As you travel through you would climb a few short inclines on the way to your underground cell. Somewhere along the way the boat is diverted down a side passage and  you come across a group of renegade miners getting ready to blow a hole in the side of the mountain with the familiar phrase of " I'm getting out of here" As they blow the passage a door or water screen opens and you break out on the side of a Bald top mountain. You are now outside ( sort of like Disney's  Splash Mountain) and as you are making your getaway you come across the local Sheriff and the mine Warden meeting with a local group of Baldknobbers to enlist their help in rounding up the escaped prisoners. The chase is then underway and your boat is being pursued by the lawmen. You enter the woods and the boat starts the climb and you can here the horse hooves beating behind you as you go up. As you near the top the sheriff yells "Watch out, they are heading to the cave" just as your boat goes down into the Abyss of Marvel Cave. You then float through a simulated cave to the unloading dock.

This attraction would obviously take up a lot of real estate. But it would replace the FM and  AP which would free up those spaces for future expansion. I would love to see a attraction similar to Toy Story Mania at Disney or Spider Man at universal in the old FM spot. And, maybe a Mystery Mine style coaster in the spot that would be freed up by this attraction replacing AP.

pintrader

Re: Escape from the Flooded Mine
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 12:00:18 PM »
Love the idea!  After a big thrilling new coaster it might just be the perfect ride to calm the nerves.  But I would hate to see them replace the FM or AP.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 04:57:17 PM »
AP is second favorite ride (Fire In The Hole is #1).  I just wish they would repaint the tunnel and bring it back to its glory.  Trams had an idea somewhere on here about everyone chipping in to help out with paint.  That was funny!

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 05:00:52 PM »
 ;D Flash mobbing the AP would be f-u-n fun!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 05:45:01 PM »
Interesting concept, but I should point out that you really can't replace AP and FM in one swoop. FM is a fantastic ride for families to do together, and I don't mean just young active families. Everyone from toddlers to grandparents can ride it. Not many attractions like that exist in parks anymore, and I wish there were more.

Awhile ago I came to terms with the fact that AP just needs to be rebuilt one of these days. It's still a very charming and enjoyable ride, but it's not as good as it used to be, and it could be a lot better. I'd love for Hopkins to come in and rebuild the ride with modern boats like DW's flume to increase capacity and extend the ride through the old float trip channels, maybe even adding a second drop in the back near PK.

AP is second favorite ride (Fire In The Hole is #1).  I just wish they would repaint the tunnel and bring it back to its glory.  Trams had an idea somewhere on here about everyone chipping in to help out with paint.  That was funny!

Repaint the tunnel? ... it was never painted. There used to be actual animatronic scenes inside of it that can't exist now because it is built into reenforced concrete walls designed to withstand vertical loads from heavy equipment rolling around on top of the hill above it.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 05:54:19 PM »
FM is in some dire need of serious love. I guess I lost my sentimental feelings about it when it changed to the shoot out. The last time we rode in June most of the guns in our boat did not work correctly or did not reset at the beginning of the ride. My concept above has zero chances of being built, but is just a dream on my part to bring back the memories of a classic attraction in a new setting. AP was never one of my favorites due to the lack of serious theming.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 07:30:08 PM »
There weren't murals on those walls at one time?  Geesh, I'm losing it!  >:(

emmabugsmama

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 08:08:07 AM »
I'd like to see some work done on AP as well.  What's with the bear?  I want the falling outhouse back.  Seems like it's been put on the backburner too long!
I'm gettin' outta here, no matter what!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 08:26:32 AM »
The mural at FM was still there last time I rode last season. It is on the wall opposite the loading area...the side where you unload on. It shows a cutaway of the mine and what is happening on different levels...I guess it's really not a mural, just a big painting, but I'm glad it was still there. That original painting dates back to the late 1960's although it has been retouched, or maybe completely repainted...I seem to remember the plywood it is painted on was rotted at the bottom on one trip...came back some time later and it was all OK again.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 02:56:09 PM »
I love that "painting/drawin of the mine... I look at it every time.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 04:40:43 PM »
I love that "painting/drawin of the mine... I look at it every time.

Me too.  It's just part of the "theming" that makes me love SDC!
I'm Your Huckleberry