Author Topic: First SDC Memory  (Read 29521 times)

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
Re: First SDC Memory
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2008, 03:16:55 PM »
Interesting guess, a bit twisted perhaps,but interesting :-X
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 05:56:10 PM by Old Guy »
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2008, 09:48:51 PM »
OK, one more question.  Is your wife's name Deanna?
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2008, 09:52:05 PM »
Nope. Keep going. (I'll admit the prize at the end isn't all that exciting)
If you're really stumped Terry Sanders knows. I was his camera man for Patty in Branson
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 09:56:54 PM by Old Guy »

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2008, 10:46:19 PM »
Yah, I kinda figured that was a wrong guess after reading one of your posts in another thread.  So now I'm guessing that is you hammering the strings?
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2008, 11:02:26 PM »
I figured it out, but I never would have guessed you were Sally Beale!!!

Sally?!  LOL!!!!
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2008, 11:09:42 PM »
Yah, I kinda figured that was a wrong guess after reading one of your posts in another thread.  So now I'm guessing that is you hammering the strings?

Wait....John Corbin?  For real?!

Catfish maybe?

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2008, 02:25:32 PM »
Yes I'ts true I'm Catfish Corbin Beale !

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2008, 09:07:54 PM »
Yes I'ts true I'm Catfish Corbin Beale !

Tee hee!   ;D

DocSpeleo

« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2008, 10:01:22 PM »
is that the catfish that is at the city now? lol

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2008, 06:58:55 PM »
^Lol! I ran into him at the banana split contest. Funny dude.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2008, 07:36:49 PM »
I always liked Catfish.  Physically he reminded me of Mercy Purvis.

firstyear1967

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2008, 10:12:12 PM »
Wow what a great site.  My first visit to SDC was back in 1967.  I was four years old.  At that time the only thing on the mountain was SDC and a place to buy cememt animals.  I remember that we had tickets that got punched at every ride.  I remember the stage coach ride, the mine ride(that was really scary, and there was a drop), the lost river, going down all those stairs into the cave, the train robbers, buying lye soap, grandpa man, the tree house, and so much more.  I remember watching the glass blowers and the candy makers, the wood carvers and the the battle between the blue and the gray.  We used to come to Branson two or three times a year.  We stayed in Springfield that first year because there were no motels that my mother would stay in in Branson.  Do you remember how long the ride was from Branson to SDC, it seemed like it took for hours.  I now have pictures of me at a very young age looking in the holes, pictures of my kids looking in the holes.  I have been to SDC with my grandfather (he grew up in the 1880's) my kids have been with there grandfathers, and I have been with my grandkids.  I have smelled the wood and had the thoughts of SDC return.  I have watched it change and grow for over 40 years, some good and some not so good.  I do not like the cutting into the woods for the big coasters.  Do you remember the sub ride?  I remember when Fire in the Hole opened I was still young enough to be scared out of my mind.  Do you remember the little gift shop at the top of the tram ride out of the cave.  I could not believe it when we came back one year and they had built this huge(I was still a kid) store.  I remember watching as a kid the Beverly Hillbilly's go to SDC.  I could not understand how they could spend the night in the city hotel but we could not.  One last thought did they change the way the Lucky Mine Restaurant looked inside?  It seemed that the last time we ate there it looked different.  I love reading all of the stories from SDC.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2008, 10:27:54 PM »
Thanks for sharing the memories, firstyear1967, and welcome to the site!

I didn't even know SDC had a punch ticket system back in the day.

I haven't been back into the Mine Restaurant for a year, but I don't think it's changed that much - at least as far as I can remember. The special table is still there and everything.

DocSpeleo

« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2008, 10:37:32 PM »
the punch system was great because the cards sold only had enough punches for all rides except one so if you wanted to ride all the rides  you had to get an extra punch... i was just talking about this with an employee at SDC.

the gift shop at the cave exit! that would be nice.... there used to be so much cool cave merchandise to buy now little is available due to the merchandising above the cave exit.....  :-(

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2008, 02:08:24 AM »
My first SDC memories start about 1970, and I remember the chance to buy cave photos (including the group photo) after riding the cable car out, plus postcards and various knick-knackery, but I don't remember it being a "cave store" as such.

Punch tickets were gone by my first visit. Or to be more accurate, I don't recall ever using them. Since I was all about the rides as a frantic 7 year old, I think I would remember being limited by punch tickets.

I remember the stagecoach being a "ride", but I didn't understand why anyone would bother. We never did. "Hey, I can run all over the place a lot faster than those horses move!" was our way of thinking.