Author Topic: Being vacated from apartment. UPDATED: Accommodations Found  (Read 3423 times)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Being vacated from apartment. UPDATED: Accommodations Found
« on: August 21, 2012, 06:57:19 PM »
UPDATE: We found an apartment complex that would let us lease for the 45 days. It's a bit of a way from campus, but we have a friend whose schedule lines up with ours, so she's offered to be our transport for the month and a half that we'll be displaced. We have free WiFi, so I should be able to keep up online.

So, I got home from my first day of classes and ran into our landlady outside our building. Turns out that the plumbing problem they've been having downstairs is WAY worse than it initially seemed. So much worse, in fact, that the people living on the lowest floor have to move out and can't come back 'til January 'cause the plumbers have to tear everything up to completely replace the pipes.

Those of us in the higher floors have to vacate for 45 days because the plumbing and water will be turned off that whole time. We have to be out no later than Thursday morning. So my roommate and I are now attempting to find somewhere to stay for the 45 days before we get to come back to our apartment. We don't have to take everything with us; just anything we need for a 45-day stay away from home.

One of our problems is that neither of us drive. And we both have classes this semester. So trying to find somewhere to stay for 45 days that's close enough to the Missouri State campus is, well, proving difficult. All the apartments and houses want leases, but we're not moving. We're just evacuating temporarily.

Is there anyone on here who is familiar enough with Springfield who could give some advice on any organizations we might be able to contact for temporary housing? Or know of any rental companies that would be willing to let us rent for only a month and a half?

Thanks.

Joy
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:27:59 AM by Joy »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Being vacated from apartment. *sigh*
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 07:18:56 PM »
Extended Stay?
SWOOSH

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 07:47:43 PM »
Well, I found them, but they're not nearly close enough to campus for us since we don't drive. That's our main problem right now.

We have a friend who's been working on moving out of her rental, so we've been trying to contact her to find out if it's gotten rented by someone else yet. If not, we could possibly stay there, if the landlord is willing to let us stay there for only a month and a half.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 08:03:36 PM »
Well that's a bummer. Naturally this couldn't happen in the spring or early summer when everything is empty. Does your lease have some kind of provision for alternate housing should something like that happen?
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 08:20:54 PM »
I don't think so. Of course, we aren't *technically* under lease. It's been about a year and a half since our landlords took over from our old landlord. So they took on what was left of everyone's leases.... Then they never had us sign a new one. Probably not a good idea to have gone this long without one, but I pay rent, they don't say anything, so it just never comes up.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 08:38:36 PM »
joy, sorry about your bad luck.  hopefully someone will have an idea that might help.. i am not from the area so........  But have you checked craigslist for housing yet?  just an idea...

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 10:06:01 PM »
I had a similar problem when I was in college.  I contacted a local church who bent over backwards to help me find temporary housing. 

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 01:18:02 AM »
Yeah, one of our friends suggested contacting a church.

We may have a lead, though. There are a couple apartment complexes that MIGHT give us a short enough lease. We've gotta call them up when we get up tomorrow morning.

In the meantime, we're going to be checking with MSU to see if we can stay in the guest housing on campus for our first night or two until we can find a more solid solution. We would stay at the guest housing the whole time, except it's $30-40 a night, so 45 days would be... well, hugely expensive.