Author Topic: WiFi at SDC?  (Read 10394 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
WiFi at SDC?
« on: August 16, 2012, 09:52:19 PM »
Is there Wi Fi anywhere at the city?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: WiFi at SDC?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 02:58:24 AM »
Good question for those who want to be wired everywhere they go. I don't know if they have WiFi, but I hope  not! Enjoy the park, put away the computer for a few hours...that is what a theme park is about. You know, that "memories worth repeating" thing! HA!  ;D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 07:08:38 AM »
Not sure. I just read a article that Disney was getting ready to wi if all their parks soon. Not sure I want to be that tethered. I did enjoy the Disney app. For my I phone that gave attraction wait times and for what time fast passes were being issued for. Pretty sure they operated over the network though.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 07:18:46 AM »
I sure hope SDC stays away from WIFI. Its a great feature dont get me wrong but it is not suited for SDC. Most motels have it. And while I am at SDC I want to look at the fantastic scenery and not my phone screen.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 07:36:11 AM »
Yes, I was was just wondering for the uploading of pics to facebook and such. I just got my Iphone and I must admit it is a huge time waster, not such a bad thing for me at work. Maybe your right maybe it should stay in the locker at SDC.

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 08:37:06 AM »
We just jumped on the smart-phone bandwagon ourselves this summer. I don't think they have wifi right now. I thought I remembered a comment on their Facebook page sometime back about wifi maybe coming the future? *shrug*  I don't know who your carrier is, but Verizon has excellent 4G signal (and therefore 3G I would guess) in the park.
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 02:38:49 PM »
i have always had a good verizon signal in the park and have uploaded several pictures there with no problems...

St. Nicholas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 06:25:45 PM »
I think wifi would be a great addition.  For those who don't, it is like everything else.  People pick and choose what they use/do at SDC.  Some might turn into phone-faced hunchback zombies, others may just use it to shoot a text to someone telling them where they are, send a photo, etc.  ymmv

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 04:57:43 PM »
On visits this year to SDC, I cannot tell you how bummed out I was that people were walking around talking on their cell phones. Gee, forget about modern life for one day and enjoy your trip to SDC! Listening to loud talking people on phones also destroys the atmosphere for me, too. I don't need or want wifi at SDC, sorry, but seeing folks sitting around pounding away on laptops would be a bummer, too.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 06:16:56 PM »
On visits this year to SDC, I cannot tell you how bummed out I was that people were walking around talking on their cell phones. Gee, forget about modern life for one day and enjoy your trip to SDC! Listening to loud talking people on phones also destroys the atmosphere for me, too. I don't need or want wifi at SDC, sorry, but seeing folks sitting around pounding away on laptops would be a bummer, too.

I use it as my camera, video camera and I instantly share my children's moments with their grandparents. Sorry.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 12:58:11 PM »
I've never had trouble getting a good signal there, but if you want to use SDC's wifi, I think you have to pay a few dollars /day for it.  Seems like there was a thread about this last year. 

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 11:13:05 AM »
They didn't have wifi in the 1880's!!  ::)

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 10:34:14 PM »
They don't currently have WiFi, but I wish they did offer it.  There are a lot of work related issues that having an internet connection would greatly simplify.  The offices are connected with DSL but it's not very convenient to run up to the office every time you need to connect, and it's strictly regulated by the IT guys anyway.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 11:11:52 AM »
I’m surprised they don’t have a password protected, WiFi in place for company use. However, a public WiFi wouldn’t be a bad idea either. Silver Dollar City’s new app is very dependant on an internet connection, and if I am going to use their app inside the park, I might as well use free WiFi instead of burning my own data.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 12:10:19 PM »
I’m surprised they don’t have a password protected, WiFi in place for company use. However, a public WiFi wouldn’t be a bad idea either. Silver Dollar City’s new app is very dependant on an internet connection, and if I am going to use their app inside the park, I might as well use free WiFi instead of burning my own data.

DITTO!