Author Topic: Universal Studios Hollywood  (Read 3273 times)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Universal Studios Hollywood
« on: June 02, 2008, 08:39:07 PM »
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/la-me-studiofire3-2008jun03,0,381876.story

Have any of you heard about this yet? I saw it on the news and I think it is devestating. That's a lot of good movie history gone. Back to the Future was my favorite movie for a really long time and it is still one of my favorites. But this morning on tv I heard that it wasn't true that it was destroyed. Who knows though...
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcforever

Re: Universal Studios Hollywood
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 10:23:54 AM »
That is sad.  I'm not sure what was destroyed.  All I heard was a two-block area was completely destroyed, including back lot sets, a video library, and the "King Kong" attraction.  There weren't any details besides that.  Has anyone heard any further details regarding this?

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 09:13:22 AM »
^I don't think they know very much about it even. King Kong was for sure destroyed then?

sdcforever

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 10:22:03 AM »
^I don't think they know very much about it even. King Kong was for sure destroyed then?

Even sadder, I just found out exactly what was destroyed.

The iconic courthouse square set from "Back to the Future"--completely destroyed

the King Kong attraction that bellows at tourists on the tram tour--completely destroyed

two recreated New York and New England streets used in films and as tourist displays--completely destroyed

a video vault holding 40,000 to 50,000 videos and reels--severely damaged (however duplicates and originals are at another location, so the vault can be restored by making more copies)

I'm glad I've been there and seen all of those attractions, as they are now gone forever.  :-[

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 10:42:56 AM »

Even sadder, I just found out exactly what was destroyed.

The iconic courthouse square set from "Back to the Future"--completely destroyed

the King Kong attraction that bellows at tourists on the tram tour--completely destroyed

two recreated New York and New England streets used in films and as tourist displays--completely destroyed

a video vault holding 40,000 to 50,000 videos and reels--severely damaged (however duplicates and originals are at another location, so the vault can be restored by making more copies)

I'm glad I've been there and seen all of those attractions, as they are now gone forever.  :-[

That is awful!! I'm glad I've been there and seen it all also. I'm glad they can bring some of the things back though by rebuilding and searching for other copies.