Author Topic: Grand Village  (Read 1405 times)

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Grand Village
« on: November 04, 2022, 08:33:09 AM »
My family has always enjoyed stopping by former-Herschend-property-Grand Village when we are in Branson. Over the years, we have watched cycles of it sliding downhill, perking up a bit, then sliding back down. A few years ago, a developer announced a major rehab and the addition of new buildings, but it never happened.

We visited this past weekend, and I believe it's in the worst shape ever. There are only a few stores left, and the vacant spaces look really shady. The centerpiece of the village--the cupola on the main building--is so rotted that it looks like it could collapse at any time.

The nicest store in the complex is Pete Engler Designs, and the lady working there told me that they would close at the end of the year and move everything to their store downtown.

It's almost to the point that the place needs bulldozed. One would think that in an era of stores moving out of indoor malls into strip malls that this place could thrive, especially in a place like Branson. It's sad to see its decline.

kbosch1

• McCoy
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Re: Grand Village
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 08:54:39 AM »
Ditto everything above! 

My wife always enjoyed going to GV to shop.  There are a couple of stores that I enjoyed, but mostly I enjoy sitting outside by a fountain on a park bench in the sun and enjoying the day. 

We were just there a few weeks ago, and I noticed all of the same things you mentioned.  I really hope someone does some work to it, or it'll be another bulldozed memory soon.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 10:49:20 AM »
Wait, is the Christmas store still there? That is the main attraction for my family. We have been visiting for decades mostly for this store. It's part of our Branson Christmas routine.

I have also noticed the stores falling off, but sometimes interesting new things come along to replace them. I haven't been since last year though. The loss of the food sampling at that one store due to covid put a damper on things - that was the second best attraction! The leather store is also really good if it's still there. Everything I bought there over the years is still going strong despite daily use.

They were supposed to expand with a new addition on the south side, but I think covid scrapped those plans. Now it is suffering from a lack of vision. Branson absolutely would still support this place, and their proximity to the new aquarium and Wonderworks should be working in their favor. Too many retail landlords have no idea what they are doing though.

kbosch1

• McCoy
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 02:12:44 PM »
Wait, is the Christmas store still there?

Yep, still there (just there about 3 weeks ago).  That has to be one of my wife's favorite shops in Branson.  I will usually go into it one time a year with her.  The other trips down, I'll enjoy the benches outside!   

The toy store is always fun and interesting.   I always enjoyed the sampling at Mulberry Mill and we will always take a spin in the Thomas Kincade gallery.

I truly hope they put some money into the buildings!

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 09:21:53 PM »
Sugar Leaf Bakery is the only reason that we go to Grand Village. If it was in a different location I don't think that we would ever go to the shops.

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2022, 12:56:02 PM »
Same

Sugar Leaf Bakery is the only reason that we go to Grand Village. If it was in a different location I don't think that we would ever go to the shops.