Author Topic: Old restaurant at School of the Ozarks  (Read 5390 times)

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Old restaurant at School of the Ozarks
« on: July 18, 2012, 12:28:47 PM »
One of my favorite places to eat breakfast while in Branson used to be the old restaurant at the School of the Ozarks. The food was great AND cheap, plus the wait staff were all college students from every imaginable walk of life.  It was not uncommon for us to eat breakfast here every day of our trip. Unfortunately, when the new Keeter Center was built, the restaurant was closed. Anyone else remember this great little place?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Old restaurant at School of the Ozarks
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 06:46:16 PM »
Yup. I was a "School of the Ozarks" student from 1980-1983. Everything you said is right. It was also a meeting place for area businessmen. My father, an administrator of a Branson nursing home, met with others at the Friendship House restaurant. It was always busy. I only went in there a few times, but they also had a gift shop and other offices for the college. I think the Friendship House building is still there, although remodeled and used for other purposes now. As long as we are on the subject of C of O, anyone remember the Beacon Hill Theater or the "train" they used to transport tourists around the campus? I hated getting stuck in traffic behind that thing!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 06:59:45 PM »
junior, i didnt realize you were C of O graduate, I cant say that I am surprised.. but i didint know...  congrats!

I have toured it several time and have spent several afternoons looking around the campus.. it never ceases to amaze me..

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 07:25:23 PM »
I remember that restaurant!  I loved it!!  I think about it every now and then.  When the kids were little, we use to tour the museum, and get a lunch or snack at the restaurant.  Great waitstaff!  I've never met an unfriendly student on that campus.

Junior, I almost went to school there.  I couldn't go because I had a four year scholarship awarded to me because I had polio.  I almost gave it up to attend COA.  At the time, I was almost mad about getting the scholarship because I wanted to attend COA so bad!  LOL

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 07:54:50 PM »
I would gnaw off my left leg to attend C of O. They dont offer what I need but still....
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 08:24:33 PM »
AND since we are talking about the college IF you catch yourself in branson and it too HOT to play outside...(not that that ever happens. ;D)... or maybe your rained out...

looking for something economical to do...................

Check out the Robert Foster museum @ the college.. It costs like 6 bucks, there are 4 floors of goodies! And 1 entire floor dedicated to firearms from today to pre civil war...

there is also a tractor museum, and it is free admission... now granted it can be walked through and checked out in an hour or so... BUT the price is right,,,

check 'em out!!....    http://www.rfostermuseum.com/

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 08:25:40 PM »
I would gnaw off my left leg to attend C of O. They dont offer what I need but still....

DON'T DO IT TRAMS!  You'll have to do physical therapy on yourself!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 06:22:22 AM »
Clarification: I attended College of the Ozarks 1980-1983. I graduated from Southeast Missouri State at Cape Girardeau. I attended SEMO from 1983-1986/87. I was on the seven year plan at two four year colleges. Not a great student, was more interested in working to earn money, chasing girls and sipping a cold one. However, in the end, I did graduate. I encourage everyone to go as far as you can with your education. The smart cookies
stand a better chance in this big ole world!

--
Side note: One of my fellow students and part time running buddies at SEMO in the mass communications department was a guy from St. Louis named Cedric Kyles. You might know him better as Cedric the Entertainer. (The Steve Harvey Show, Be Cool, The Honeymooners, Code Name the Cleaner, Cadallac Records, just to name a few...he currently has his own TV show on TV Land, a sit-com about a preacher man. And yes, I helped train him in college just a little bit. What I learned I picked up at SDC. So, this IS stretching things quite a bit, but there is a little bit of SDC in Cedric's pool of talent!) I've always been glad to know him, he was a nice guy, and I wish him well.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 06:23:49 AM by Junior »
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 01:49:59 PM »
Now that the college offers a BS in nursing, after 31 years in the field I attempted to inquirer  about admission.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 11:46:46 PM »
Not to be confused with the University of the Ozarks in Clarksville AR. ;D

For a minute, I thought you were going to drop a Limbaugh name.