Author Topic: fire in the hole question  (Read 69254 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: fire in the hole question
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2008, 01:15:13 PM »
I'm surprised they don't try to affix fire hoses to the vehicle so we can shoot water at the fire.  We shoot at so many things on SDC attractions these days for some reason.  Thankfully this would be difficult to pull off on a coaster.

They could probably figure out a way to have firefighters shoot hoses from the scenes at the cars though.  I would just hate to see the focus be taken of the Bald Knobbers.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcforever

« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2008, 05:48:24 PM »
Today they can run a maximum of 5 trains, they usually only run 4 trains at most.

When the trains get to close to each other the ride shuts down and with new laws of leaving loose items behind it takes people too long to put their loose items in the storage boxes. With 5 trains they have exactly 25 seconds to unload and load guests, so the ride is more than likely to shut down with 5 trains. I have heard in the past that they use to run 6 trains. Of course this was when they would let you carry anything with you on the ride.

Holy Moly! :o  25 seconds!  One of my favorite aspects of Fire In the Hole is the theming, especially with the Fire Chief.  I love it when the chief interacts with the riders, teasing and joking, etc.  With 25 seconds all the ride ops would be able to do is make sure people move it, move it, move it getting on and off the trains.  Seems like the only way they'd be able to do it in 25 seconds is by using a bull whip! ;)

bradhig

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2008, 07:27:54 PM »
Last week the line for Fire in The Hole was back by firemen's graveyard and I thought that was the result of Powder Keg breaking down.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2008, 08:41:50 PM »
Yes the Blazing Furry has red cars; well today they are red with black smudges.

I forgot to mention when they were running 6 trains they had two dispatch zones. The lines one through six that exist today were accompanied by another line of one through six. The location of this dispatch zone was where the fireman’s office is today, directly to the left of the current dispatch zone. There were also no gates to separate riders from trains. This all made it possible to run 5 and 6 trains with no problems.

Why are there laws that say what can and can’t be brought on board the rides?
-Things fly and hit people. This hurts and causes rides to be down. Not to mention could seriously injure someone.
-Also, fire codes are stricter. What if FITH was on fire and you had to go in and evacuate 12 people out and they were all caring bags, back-packs, purses ect…? All hell would break loose and someone would probably die.

That is why people should just obey the posted rules. Make it easier on ride attendants.

Dukefan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2008, 12:58:55 AM »
I forgot to mention when they were running 6 trains they had two dispatch zones. The lines one through six that exist today were accompanied by another line of one through six. The location of this dispatch zone was where the fireman’s office is today, directly to the left of the current dispatch zone. There were also no gates to separate riders from trains. This all made it possible to run 5 and 6 trains with no problems.

This is all very interesting.

Do you know if Blazing Fury was initially set up like this as well?  There is a corner of the Blazing Fury station that has been boxed off into another room, I thought it might have been part of the loading platform to begin with.  You can see in this pic:

http://rcdb.com/ig501.htm?picture=2 

(BF has 3 cars per train, but perhaps early on it had just 2 per train like FitH, hence there would have been enough room for a double dispatch station)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 01:09:28 AM by Dukefan »

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2008, 07:13:18 AM »
I remember The cars at FITH were red to begin with. Here is a shot from 1972
http://www.flickr.com/photos/skinnytie/2539102172/in/set-72157601729928940/
Don't remember when it changed though.
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2008, 11:36:58 PM »
Wait... FitH cars aren't red?

I know I'm getting Sometimer's Disease, what with having first visited SDC over 35 years ago, but if anyone had asked me, I'd have told them the cars were red.

I understand the reasoning behind banning loose or handheld items. In an ideal world, each person would be responsible for keeping up with their own stuff (and any damage it caused if they didn't), but this isn't Galt's Gulch. In today's world, if someone's $2,500 pro-sumer HD camcorder flies out and gets smashed on the ground, they'll sue SDC over it. And if it gets smashed over someone else's noggin,they'll both sue SDC. "Because that's where the money is", to borrow a quote from Willie Sutton.

The answer for visitors who wish to actually take responsibility for their own stuff, is cargo pockets. "Nope, nothing loose on me. It's just as secure as my wallet and car keys!"

SDCmassive

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2008, 09:49:23 PM »
I remember when I was there in 16 years ago.  It is long time to remember but I do remember that Fire in the Hole and the ride should fast enough and see the building is burns flicking.  Right now, I recent went over there from last weekend is disappoint for me because I have told my friend about the history such as KKK historic, that place has burned that kind of example.  It is not there as today and I wonder what happen to fast, fire, and smoke.  Yes it has dip ride as fast but it is like I can run than the rider does.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 10:44:50 AM by SDCmassive »

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2008, 12:17:51 PM »
FitH has not changed speed; it is a dark story-telling ride, that includes roller coaster features.  And it is not about the KKK if that's what you are trying to say, but it does tell a pretty colorful part of Ozark history.

The Bald Knobbers were vigilantes, looking to punish offenders that the law was letting free.  The costumes were intended to frighten more than they were intended to hide identity.  In fact, the Bald Knobbers were pretty well known.  They would leave a bundle of sticks on a person's front porch as a warning that they would return if that person didn't get out or change.

The Bald Knobbers quickly got too big in their own minds and became out of control.  The governor's office was even asked to bring in the national guard at one point when the group officially disbanded.

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2008, 01:25:22 PM »
While there this week I noticed some things not working.  Like when the window breaks after the gun shot.  Not long after I rode it 3 times it broke down and was down the rest of the night.  It was then down part of the next day.  I was told that they had to fix all of the cars.  On Wed they only had one car going.  It really made the line take a long time. 
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2008, 01:47:44 PM »
The ride is an older one and has to be constantly maintained. Yes, the gun shots are not working. It has been off and on all summer. The maintenance guys will be working on this soon. It is difficult to fix some things when the city is in seven day operation.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2008, 08:34:28 PM »
I found this on the net too. Some wrong and confused information, but it is worth the look!

http://cneil.blogspot.com/2008/06/silver-dollar-city-fire-in-hole.html?showComment=1213333380000

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2008, 09:05:59 PM »
Yes, I have seen this blog.  I especially liked how they dissed this forum in the last section.

cneil

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2008, 12:09:18 AM »
Hey,
I'm glad some of you appreciate my post on Fire in the Hole. 
I apologize if you perceive my closing comments as a "diss." There really was a cut-and-paste claim from wikipedia that I could not verify with my own memory, my friends, or other internet sources.  It could just be that my friends and I are under thirty.

If the ride was changed in 1982, that is way before my time.  I wouldn't have even been walking yet.

I'd love to update the article with more correct information.  Can anyone tell me what scenes were taken out of the ride? Better yet, are there pictures?

Cneil
http://cneil.blogspot.com
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 12:10:02 AM by cneil »

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2008, 02:20:38 AM »
I am not old enough to remember either. I just happen to be acquainted with people who can tell me these things. I liked your article. I was excited to find it. There is only one other problem I had with it. The guy by the cabin is not dead he is getting water to put the fire out. There has been talk about fixing this scene up. The dummy does look like he is supposed to be dead, but nope. I sent Steve [SDCFans] some photos of the areas. They should be up when he can get to it.