Author Topic: fire in the hole question  (Read 69201 times)

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
Re: fire in the hole question
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2008, 02:56:18 PM »
To increase ride capacity by making it shorter.
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2008, 02:49:59 AM »
To increase ride capacity by making it shorter.

True. I recall hour-long lines for FItH, with zig-zag queues snaking through the firemen's cemetery and back around the corner. Of course, it was the only coaster-type ride in the park at the time, and it was very popular.

These days, when it's more of an iconic/cult classic ride, and there are much more exciting rides for the coaster fans, it makes sense to restore it to how it used to be. Complete with the full soak splashdown for everyone in the third row on back.  ;D

sdcforever

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2008, 09:08:08 AM »
Back before TNT I remember lines all the way back through the Firemen's Cemetery (which I think is one of the greatest theming elements in the entire park).  I just wish I'd actually get wet on Fire In the Hole.  No matter where I sit I only get a few sprinkles of water.  Back in the day, did people actually get soaked?

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2008, 10:37:19 AM »
I just wish I'd actually get wet on Fire In the Hole.  No matter where I sit I only get a few sprinkles of water.  Back in the day, did people actually get soaked?
The only way to not get wet was to sit in the first two seats, or at the very back. When the train hit the water, it splashed outwards, then off the walls and back onto the train. Rows 3-7 got really hosed.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2008, 04:13:23 PM »
There are a couple different water effects to FITH. The splash is used as a break and that is what they use if it is cool outside. Then there is a water drop from the ceiling that usually gets everyone wet, at least a little. Then there is a spray type gun that mostly gets the left side of the car wet. This is only used when it is HOT outside, but many times they don't turn this one on.

I was told by FITH M&C that scenes nine and ten were taken out in 1982 for capacity issues.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2008, 04:45:43 PM »
What is scene 9 & 10 being used as now?  Better yet, is it at a place where it could be converted back or has that ship sailed?
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2008, 04:49:03 PM »
A better question is: will the park ever go through the effort of investing in the ride that much? Or if they do invest in upgrading the ride, will it be to restore it to it's original glory, or will they do something different?

I could see them eventually bringing back the old scenes from the ride, but I could also see them wanting to pep up the ride and market it as new and improved...

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2008, 07:24:25 PM »
^which they should have done last year for it's anniversary. *le sigh*
SWOOSH

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2008, 10:49:37 PM »
I think you get wetter this year but I might've imagined things. I never experienced the ride as it was before so the FITH I know now is the only one I have ever known.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcforever

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2008, 08:22:15 AM »
Back in the mid-90s we used to sit in the last row of FITH and get absolutely drenched.  That's not true now.  In fact, we'd get so wet that we got into a routine of riding FITH, then getting on the SkyChase Balloons to dry off. :D

That changed sometime around 2000 or so to where we'd only have to use the balloons to dry off if we rode the Wilderness (now Waterworks) Waterboggan or Lost River.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2008, 11:08:30 AM »
Actually now, the back seat is the dry-est seat on the train and is the only place we'll sit when we ride FitH because we don't WANT to get wet.
SWOOSH

firstyear1967

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2008, 12:03:34 PM »
It has always been a great ride.  It is to bad they don't make it what it was.  I would really like to show my kids what it was like.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2008, 09:53:53 PM »
I can see it marketed the same as Disney DVDs: restored and including lost scenes.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcforever

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2008, 09:53:18 AM »
^FiTH:  Uncut

or

FiTH:  Unrated

:D

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2008, 01:19:29 PM »
We want FitH with lights, but I'd also ride FitH with NO lights - just sound.  Talk about a scary ride!
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating