Author Topic: Giant Swing Downtime  (Read 5075 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Giant Swing Downtime
« on: July 30, 2007, 03:18:29 PM »
It seems the Giant Swing has fallen prey to the usual Screamin Swing problems, but luckily it isn't as bad as what the other swings are going through (especially at Kennywood). I've been hearing several reports stating that TGS has been down for entire days lately, and at other times it tests for hours with no riders. Come to think of it, it was down for most of the day when I was there on Memorial weekend.

Now, Screamin Swings have a history of problems, especially the large early models, but TGS was supposed to be the first swing to implement a series of upgrades meant to fix all of that. Even with upgrades though, it seems that while TGS has had a fair bit of uptime, it isn't living up to expectations as far as operations go.

I'm sure everything will be fixed eventually though; just be glad we didn't have to go through what DW did with Timberrrr Tower.

Anyone know just how much TGS has been down lately?

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Swing Downtime
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 02:11:29 PM »
I dont know why it has so much down time but what I want to know is why do they let the line get so long and not use both swings? I have never seen both swings running and the lines are rediculously long. why spend moey for two when ya only use one....
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 10:27:32 AM »
I have yet to visit Silver Dollar City this year so I had no idea about all of the down time with the swing. Is it the same problem over, and over, or is it something different each time?

I suppose it does take large equipment to move those massive arms through the air! As far as why Silver Dollar City only uses one arm most of the time, I don’t know. Perhaps they are trying to save energy cost, or perhaps they are trying to conserve wear, and tear on both arms.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 10:35:08 AM »
If there is a problem with swings, hopefully they get it figured out before they build the new one at dw.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 04:53:24 PM »
Usually, when one side of the swings is closed it has to do with park attendance figures, capacity issues, and personnel available to operate the ride. If they don't get too many complaints, you bet they will operate only one side...less money put out for utilities, less money put out for personnel. Sometimes one side will be closed due to maintainece issues. You would have to ask ride attendants on duty what the issue was about. Some will tell you, some will keep in character and tell you a joke answer.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

chitlins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 07:31:41 PM »
I feel that the giant swing was a giant waste.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 07:59:53 PM »
 :-\ :-\

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 08:50:53 PM »
A giant waste? Well, to each his own. They have a wide variety of attractions on park to attract a wide variety of guests. It's all in an effort to make more money. Simple enough idea. Hey, that's the American way!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 09:11:30 PM »
I think they've significantly improved the uptime of TGS since I started this thread in 2007. It is still a big, sensitive ride however, so there will always be times when it's down or can only operate one arm. I don't think they run one arm on purpose unless there are very light crowds.

As far as being a waste - again, to each his own, but it does add to the park and it helps curb the lines down on the big attractions.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 10:29:12 AM »
I don't think Giant Swing was a waste. I LOVE that ride. I go on it every time I'm at the park. (okay, not every time, but every time I'm there to do rides... lol)

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 11:50:31 AM »
It was up & going the last 2 days. 1 side tho', just not mant people ridin' it.
Live life like it's the last day!

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 02:57:20 PM »
I know I might have mention this before, but on of the most joyish time I had was when my Son-in-Law ( who doesn't  necessarily like rides) yelled "I Love This Ride".
SDC has always made a great past to remember

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 03:07:32 PM »
I just got back from a week long trip at Silver Dollar City, and I didn't notice (or know of), a single hiccup in the operation of the Giant Swing. Bottom line, it's a machine, and like all good machines it has a "break in" period so to speak.

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 08:01:03 PM »
My family loves the Giant Swing.  Best I can remember, it has always been running on our visits the past years since it opened. I do get frustrated some times when they are running only one arm and I feel the crowd would support both arms running.  I am looking forward to riding the new swing being put in at Dollywood.