Author Topic: 5 Years of SDCFans  (Read 16666 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
5 Years of SDCFans
« on: July 14, 2012, 04:30:24 PM »
Today marks the fifth year of operation for SDCFans.com. I started this site back in 2007 partly to assuage my enthusiasm for the park and the amusement industry in general, and partly to hone my programming skills by using the site as a sandbox of sorts for various programming techniques. We're now on the 11th revision of the site, with most of those revisions having occurred during the first couple years due to the fact that I was constantly re-writing the site's code. I've certainly tried a lot of things with the site over the years, but these days I'm taking a smarter approach and am focusing on what really matters for the site: the community.

Over the last five years the site's look and features have changed over and over again, but the community that has risen up around it on these forums has remained a consistently friendly and thriving place that is both full of information about the park and enjoyable discussion. Getting to be a part of this community has definitely made all the work worthwhile.

As you may have noticed recently, I'm taking a different approach to the site and have stopped attempting to code my own features or manage a lot of random little updates. My basic plan for now is to focus on the forums and add third-party features that support and expand them. I've reserved our domain name for another couple of years and hosting for another year (after which I'll probably move to another host), so we're set to keep moving forward for at least awhile longer.

Thanks to everybody that's been a part of this site over the last five years. I hope you guys have enjoyed it as much as I have.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Years of SDCFans
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 04:35:14 PM »
It has been great! What a way to spend 25 days 10 min. on the site since being registered in 2008.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 04:57:44 PM »
Congrats, & Thanks for this site shavethewhales. Love this place.  ;D
Live life like it's the last day!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 05:46:07 PM »
Thanks again Shave, we all love the site, and appreciate you time and effort!! :) :)

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 05:50:47 PM »
one of the best sites around with great people contributing. keep up the great work everyone!

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 08:51:54 PM »
Yes- this really is our SDC away from SDC.  Higher praise I could not bestow!
I'm Your Huckleberry

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 10:59:14 PM »
No milestone or hard work should go unnoticed.  Great job with the site!
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

bobber620

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 11:00:48 PM »
I'm with everyone else, this site is our home away from home as it pertains to Silver Dollar City!!!! I have enjoyed reading everyones posts and have gained quite a little bit of knowledge from our resident historians. We have also prayed for and with each other in our times of need. Love the site and wish to send out a special THANK YOU to Shavethewhales for starting it in the first place. God Bless everyone and here is to many many more years of SDCFANS!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 11:02:55 PM by bobber620 »
KANSAS CERTIFIED EMT, AND FRIEND TO THE PARK FOREVER

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 07:58:22 AM »
Happy birthday, SDCfans! Great work, Shave, and THANKS! ;D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 11:06:36 AM »
You should be a proud "father", shave!  This is THE site for friends of SDC.  And, believe me, SDC management does take notice of what goes on here.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 05:03:24 PM »
I'm glad to still read about SDC management knowing about what is happening here, Zephon. All of us at this site love the park, and although we sometimes get a bit critical or over zealous about new things like the roller coaster project, we are some of the biggest boosters of SDC, and I hope that really shines through and management can see that.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

eagle1

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 09:46:51 PM »
Congratulations Steve! You've done a great job and it is awesome to be a part of this. Here is to many more years to come!  ;D

sdcDave

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 11:32:04 PM »
Thanks for all of your work Shave.  I don't post much here , but this is my favorite forum to visit because of two things:
1. SDC is just a wonderful place and
2. You couldn't find a friendlier community than the folks that are here

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 11:48:28 AM »
Thank you so much for creating this wonderful website. I have been a member since November 2010. It truly is remarkable that a Forum site exist with hardly no obscure, obscene, inappropriate, or negative comments.

:)
You have a great past just ahead of you.

LadyDrifter

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 03:06:23 PM »
Thank you so much for this site.  Although I might not post as often as I should, I read here daily.  Thank you again!!!!