Author Topic: Nauvoo, Illinois  (Read 5229 times)

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Nauvoo, Illinois
« on: July 07, 2012, 11:32:59 PM »
If anyone is looking for an inexpensive, fun, family-friendly vacation or day-trip spot in the Midwest, then I heartily recommend Nauvoo, Illinois.  Nauvoo is located about 3 hrs north of St. Louis, MO.  My family has visited there dozens of times.  Nauvoo is a type of restored 1840's village with several original homes and some living history demonstrations.  The vast majority of the sites and demonstrations are free.  Now most of the sites are owned and operated by the Church of Jesus-Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons), so expect a religious sales pitch (it's not overbearing, but it is there).  But if you can tolerate that it's a fun place to go. (For the record my family is  Baptist).  Nauvoo is also home to Baxter's Vineyards, Illinois oldest winery, several bed and breakfasts, and one of the best buffet's in the entire world at Hotel Nauvoo.  For more information check out my blog  www.thenauvoopioneer.blogspot.com .

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Nauvoo, Illinois
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 07:05:16 AM »
that looks like a good way to spend a day,

Let me jump in here, this is the website to Cowtown in SW wichita, it is a living museum as they call it. Would make another day trip if your in the area..

http://oldcowtown.org/

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Nauvoo, Illinois
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 01:57:16 PM »
Welcome aboard Sanddune!  ;D