Author Topic: Syrup  (Read 7295 times)

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Syrup
« on: June 20, 2012, 11:07:00 AM »
A point I have been meaning to share...
On our first trip to the city this year, we bought some maple syrup (I belive in the apple butter store). It is pricey for a bottle but thought it would be fun to hear the kids excitement on pancake day at seeing the SDC logo.
Anyway, I got it out this weekend. Tasted it and nothing. It tasted like nothing. So I grabbed the usual maple syrup out and tasted it, delicious. So my taste buds were properly calibrated. So I turn the SDC bottle around looking for a date, and my eyes caught the ingredients. Corn Syrup, caramel coloring, maple flavoring. I know that it is my fault for not reading the ingredients before I bought it and I am mad at myself for that.
So now instead of feeling like a paid a little bit too much for Maple Syrup, I feel like I paid an exorbitant price for old thin karo syrup. Awesome.
I just didn't think that I should question the quality of a product that SDC was willing to put their label on. I didn't think the Home of American Craftsmanship would be selling a product of lesser quality than the box store generic brand.
LESSON LEARNED. No more jar/bottle products from the city.
"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Syrup
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 11:25:07 AM »
Where was it made? or packaged? does it say,,,,, ??? ??? ??? ???

I would give odds NOT at SDC>> :'( :'( :'(

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 12:33:25 PM »
It does say made FOR Silver Dollar City. I knew it wouldn't have been made on site.
Just think it is odd for them to put their name on a product like that. I don't know if the merchandising people don't have to choose vendors that will uphold a certain standard, but wouldn't think they would enter into a contract for products that were subpar.

Or maybe this really is the stuff they are using on-site in food service. I hope not...

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 06:44:35 PM »
I just read this to the hubs and he remembers buying maple syrup there once a long time ago, and said it was "real" and "good".  That's outright false advertising if it's labelled as maple syrup. I used to buy 5 jars of plum butter at a time from SDC because it tasted like grandma's and couldn't be found anywhere else.  The last time it was purchased was the last time it will be purchased.  The vendor changed the recipe, and it was more like jelly.  Such a bummer!

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 09:36:27 PM »
probably just another fine product that has fallen to the way side in favor of $

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 07:29:57 AM »
Like I said, I blame myself for not reading the label before purchasing. I made an assumption that it was maple syrup (since that is what the bottle said) and not maple flavored syrup (as the ingredients indicate).

And if the bottle had cost the equivalent of imitation syrup and not a premium maple syrup I probably wouldn't be quite as irritated.

I used to buy their pepper jelly, haven't for a while, and now probably won't. 

To spin this in a more positive direction: Are there any of the jarred/bottled SDC products that anyone loves? Apple butter?

Every fall I buy several of the honey "straws" for the kids sore throats. And have bought a jar of honey there and that was excellent.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 07:47:55 AM »
Regardless, it's still false advertising!  The apple butter is still very yummy, and don't forget the sarsaparilla!  During the BBQ fest, there was a family selling cajun mixes, like sloppy joe, chili, hot sauce, stew, etc.  It was so good I had to remind the hubs we couldn't purchase ALL of it.  It came in canning jars.  We noticed that SDC is now carrying it at Ozark Marketplace.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 09:48:36 AM »
My family (and many of the folks in my reenacting unit) are addicted to the Cherry Butter.

The apple salsas are marv-u-lous!

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 09:49:14 AM »
I am fond of the sweet potato butter! YUM!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 10:01:03 AM »
I love getting Apple Butter at the Mill for breakfast, but I've never bought the jars of it they sell. Is it the same stuff?
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 10:45:54 AM »
I love getting Apple Butter at the Mill for breakfast, but I've never bought the jars of it they sell. Is it the same stuff?

Ozarks, that's a very good question.  I'll ask about it next time I'm there.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 12:23:13 PM »
I am assuming it is the same apple butter. At least to me it taste the same.

I also have purchased the Sorghum Molasses many times...YUM!
You have a great past just ahead of you.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 12:55:38 PM »

Now see, I would guess the apple butter they serve comes in BULK (maybe gallon containers lor bigger)... And the apple butter they are selling by the jar is probably from a different source.....

Just my thoughts... ??? ??? ???

LadyDrifter

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 02:40:37 PM »
You guys are making me hungry!  LOL.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 04:54:17 PM »
SDC branded bbq sauce is sold in our local grocery store. It's made by OTT's, and not too bad, but you have to look pretty close to figure out that it's not really SDC made sauce. I suspect you could buy that syrup elsewhere also.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett