Author Topic: You went....How much did you spend?  (Read 10222 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: You went....How much did you spend?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 06:09:32 PM »
Other than gas, nothing.  The rest is comp'ed
Interesting
Swoosh do you find its hard to give a realistic opinion and report in a non biased way when your trip is supported by those you are reporting on?
As in, they are comping everything so there is nothing but praise of the company on your website and in your public opinions?
I can see how that could be a conflict of interest.

Not any different than any other news source.  If you'll notice, I don't really give an opinion strongly either way.  I just present it and let the reader formulate their own opinions.
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 09:02:02 PM »
Not any different than any other news source.  If you'll notice, I don't really give an opinion strongly either way.  I just present it and let the reader formulate their own opinions.

Very good responce, I myself have been in broadcasting, reporting on a story, event or situation you do need to remain neutral. However what and how you report can definitely make a difference. I am glad to hear that you are conscientious of your position and the perks you are receiving and balancing them appropriately.

But
You dont even buy a coke or eat Swoosh? You buy nothing?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 10:18:26 PM »
Not usually and I don't drink soda.
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
It is me observation that people are not making the purchases they made in the past @ SDC.  I can remember being a kid where everyone had bags when they were leaving.  That no longer seems to be the case.  I wonder what they could do to increase purchases.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 02:27:47 PM »
It is me observation that people are not making the purchases they made in the past @ SDC.  I can remember being a kid where everyone had bags when they were leaving.  That no longer seems to be the case.  I wonder what they could do to increase purchases.

MORE Craftsman
MORE made in USA
MORE one-of-a-kind pieces

LESS China crap they one could buy @ Wal-Mart
You have a great past just ahead of you.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2012, 03:41:45 PM »

Amen to that.  I do think that the key is the specialty items and things that one can only find at SDC.
That would apply to merchandise, candy and food.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 05:06:43 PM »
While walking through Sullivan's Mill prior to rope drop on opening day this  year I overheard three employees who said they were glad when they came into the shop they discovered this year there was more made in USA merchandise as opposed to last year. There is hope. Rejoice!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2012, 05:29:28 PM »
junior, someone had posted thet earlier this season.
More Made in the USA would be great! Made in branson would be better, Made in SDC would the BEST!!....  (in my opinion) ::)

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2012, 11:32:44 PM »
i agree sanddune, & in bulk so the prices aint too high for us average folk. i know they can only make certain things in a working day at the park, but it sure would be nice. i miss my ol' coffee cup that i broke.. :'(
Live life like it's the last day!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2012, 04:40:47 AM »

Well, just to keep things in perspective... even in the grand old days of SDC in the '70s, most of what we bought was "China crap" (or the imported equivalent for that era).

I'm pretty sure my Hillbilly Hat and coonskin caps and hillbilly flip-flaps from way-back-when weren't gen-u-wine products of the Ozarks.

jmc75

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2012, 11:50:15 AM »
Well I usually I and my family which is a total of 4 people.
Usually go to the mill for breakfast which which is normally about 30.00
Usually we will do lunch somewhere which I would would say is another 30.00
probably another 10-15 for some desserts and drinks through out the day.
As for as mechandise we will get mix from sullivan's mill if we are out usually a big bag of the pancake/waffle mix. I believe thise are are about 15.00 a bag.
Then I normally try to pick out something from one of the craftsman for my collection.
So I would say I probably spend about $100-$120 at the park on occasion.
I look at it like this we usually go just one day while we are down there and since we have our own condo to stay we eat in the rest of the time so I feel it kinda evens out.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2012, 06:38:35 PM »
Today,

Succotash $8.75
Taffy   5.38
Apple Dumpling 0.00  ( they didn't have them)
14.13 for 2 of us.

If there were Apple Dumplings they would have gotten 10.00 more

Great day at a bargain price.  I am aware that SDC operates on $ and almost feel guilty that I am not paying my way while expecting quality entertainment and rides that are operational and up to quality.  The problem is things are expensive and there isn't much I feel is exceptional enough to comand the price.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2012, 10:18:05 PM »
Not too long ago, we would enter the park and eat our way through it.  We took advantage of the 20% off coupons that came with each season pass.  We typically ate breakfast at the Mill and finished with dinner at the Mine before we left.  A stop at the Taffy Shop was a must.

This year,  one our first trip we shared a dinner during World Fest and a cinnamon roll.

BBQ - cinnamon roll
         2 ice teas
         shared dinner at World Fest
         $20.00 on 75% off items
         $10 on 30% bbq sauce (Christmas gifts for son)

Kids Fest on Sunday - 2 coffees
                               cinnamon roll
                               2 Sarsaparilla's to go
                               woodworking tool (with 20% off coupon)

We'll be limiting our daily allowance to $15-20.00 per trip (that includes sarsaparilla and taffy).  I'm increasingly unhappy with the food quality and pricing.  It just makes more sense for us to eat before we arrive, buy a snack, and have dinner at our condo.  I usually put something in the crock pot so it's ready when we get back.  If I see something I really want, I will probably buy it, but it takes a lot for me to hand over cash these days.  And, I think a 20% coupon should be given for each season pass purchased - it used to be that way.  Now, it's one per family.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 08:47:34 AM »
I'm increasingly unhappy with the food quality and pricing.

This seems to be the concensus from responces.  My stand is that if the quality is there I am willing to pay the price.
This seems to be an underlying message from others on this blog as well.

bobber620

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2012, 11:53:30 AM »
We try not to spend more than $100.00 when we go down for just a day trip. We usually try to take water bottles with us and refill them at the drinking fountains ect. Our biggest expenditures are always lunch, be it at the Rib House or the buffet at the Mine Restaurant, and the souvenirs, as all the kiddos think they have to have something to take home to annoy us with LOL. We do use our Season Pass discount as much as possible so we usually end up making it home with $50 or more!!!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:08:27 PM by bobber620 »
KANSAS CERTIFIED EMT, AND FRIEND TO THE PARK FOREVER