Author Topic: You went....How much did you spend?  (Read 10215 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
You went....How much did you spend?
« on: June 07, 2012, 09:11:40 PM »
Just out of curiosity and also some commentary I am curious when you go how much did or do you normally spend.  On what and why?  I know the SDC people read this and although they do send out survey takers in the park we may not be as candid with them as we are when we are on-line.  So, last time you went, with the exception of admission how much did you spend on drinks, food, trinkets?  were you satisfied with what you spent your money on.....?  And why?

big doings

• View Profile
Re: You went....How much did you spend?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 09:42:22 PM »
I can go usually on 200 or 300 dollars. Reason being is I just don't spend much. I drive there from Kansas city too. So I try and pinch every dollar.  I might get a shirt or something.  And eat. But Thts about it.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 09:50:44 PM »
I live 1.5 hours away so I frequently go for half a day.  I do not buy drinking in the park and if I do it is the frozen lemonaide.  As far as food goes I will buy the Apple dumpling as a standard snack.  Normally I do not eat in the park.
When I go I may spend $5 to park close then buy a bag of black walnut brittle for a friend.
I would eat more but there isn't much that appeals to me anymore.
Total cost per trip 17.00.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 10:45:13 PM »
Most trips we buy 1 or 2 frozen lemonades and a bag of kettle corn. Occasionally we buy a loaf of cinnamon bread. Last week my husband bought a BBQ brisket dinner in Red Gold and used his season pass for the discount (food was not very good). About once a year 1 of us buys a t-shirt. So most trips we get out for less than $20 and from April through December we usually go at least once a month.

We used to plan on eating a meal in the park but quit doing that when the meal prices started averaging $8 - $10 a person and the food quality went down.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 10:48:09 PM »
On opening day I ate breakfast before leaving the house, walked the park and snapped photos, checked out some shows and rides, and all I purchased was a 20 ounce bottle of Coke. That was a cheap day on park. Fortunately for them, most people aren't that tight with their cash.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 04:25:59 AM »
Just earlier this evening I was engaging in my semi-monthly winning lottery fantasy session, and SDC featured prominently in the "entertainment" category.

It ranged from the minimal (win a couple hundred thousand, take the immediate family) to the extreme (MegaMillions, buy season passes for everyone I know).

Visting the City gets easier when you own a condo with room for your whole family and kennels for the pets. Or, at least I assume it does, since that was part of my lotto fantasy!

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 06:21:32 AM »
thats funny mhguy77, i was gunna start a topic like this a few weeks ago.

we are the same as "big doings", we can go on $200-$300, if not less. our first purchase is a motel, just over $40.00 -- eat cheap on Sat. night & Sun. morning. eat lunch at the park, thats around $18.00. eating dinner on our last night is usually our biggest purchase, $25.00-$30.00. every once in a while we may ride a go-kart or 2 & buy a t-shirt at SDC. and ofcourse ya gotta have gas to get back home.
so, if we be total tightwads, we can go on about $120-$150. but, we all know that you always find something at SDC or in Branson, to purchase, that just hits ya right in the face. there has been alot'a times when i take $300 & come home with more than $100.

cool topic!  ;)
Live life like it's the last day!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 07:43:24 AM »
Well MH, At the city, usually not much expense, depending on days,

maybe lunch for the 3 of us..20-25.00
I drink water,  ( except OTC, hot chocolate).
Afternoons- Kettle corn for sure 6.00
thats about it unless i get an "urge", (which doesnt usually happen)
My dentist has backed me off of the taffy purchases.. :'( :'(- Normally that would be 15-20 per trip ;D)
About once every 3 months we will breakfast out there. 20-25.00

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 07:55:40 AM »
If we are doing a down-and-back trip, that usually gives us 6 hours on park. In that time we will usually spend 30.00, including parking. A couple refills, maybe a popcorn, a piece of candy for the kids.

If we are staying in the hotel and going to be there a couple days, we still make an effort to eat off-park. Usually take food with us.

I figure the less I can spend on each trip adds up to more trips I can take.

We *may* buy a tshirt for the kids if I find one on clearance.
"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 07:57:34 AM »
Not counting hotel stay, we spend about 5$ We pack a lunck/snack and water. We have refillable mugs and will get a soda for the kiddo here and there. Once a year we will go crazy and get food at park.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

cousin bubba

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 08:56:41 AM »
2 adults and two grandkids

gas (up and back) - 80
hotel deer run 2 nights - 120
food 160
  cottage resort restaurant - 60
  hardee's - 20
  mill restaurant - 40
  barbecue - 40
Ozark market place(pictures) - 16
waxworks (kids hands) - 20
leather shop (suspenders and whip) - 75
apple butter shop - 20
Hannah's ice cream - 18
barbecue sauce - 15
blue grass cd's - 80
parking - 12
misc - 50
TOTAL - 676

new memories with grandkids - PRICELESS

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 09:27:15 AM »
Other than gas, nothing.  The rest is comp'ed
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 02:11:07 PM »
Other than gas, nothing.  The rest is comp'ed
Interesting
Swoosh do you find its hard to give a realistic opinion and report in a non biased way when your trip is supported by those you are reporting on?
As in, they are comping everything so there is nothing but praise of the company on your website and in your public opinions?
I can see how that could be a conflict of interest.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 02:12:13 PM by mhguy77 »

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 02:14:17 PM »
Last time I was at SDC, I only spent $1.99 (+tax) on a garter, but I'm not sure how much my mom spent buying everyone's lunch and she also bought a few things at some of the shops. It was probably some where around $50 because of jewelry and some candles and other little random things.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 02:16:36 PM by tiffanylynnt »
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 04:43:47 PM »
I'll defend Swoosh until he answers. I was a news reporter for about 20 years. I got in free to everyplace I went...complementary entrance, free meals sometimes, and so on. I was usually at a place or event to cover the event or to cover a speaker at the event. No comp ever influenced the outcome of the story. Ever. If a comp meant I had to do a complementary story in return, I didn't go. Ever. I assume he follows the same guidelines as a print or broadcast journalist, because that what he is. He takes photos, he writes a story/review, he is allowed in his area of work to give his opinion. That's the view from where I sit. I'm interested to see Swoosh respond to your question.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"