Author Topic: Apple Dumpling's  (Read 15153 times)

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Apple Dumpling's
« on: May 22, 2012, 11:16:19 PM »
In light of our recent discussions on the declining quality of certain foods at SDC, I would like to give a shout-out to my favorite SDC delicacy....the Apple Dumpling (preferably with cinnamon ice cream). These deliciously, decadent, dumplings never fail to please.  Sometimes they can be very hard to find.  But, there is one stand that sells them year round (or at least they did last year) and that is at the stand next to the exit of FITH.  Happy eating!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Apple Dumpling's
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 07:37:15 AM »
You are correct, Parson!  I've yet to have anything but an excellent apple dumpling.  One of my favorite treats, by far!!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 07:52:04 AM »
I agree 100%.  They are a simple yet tasty dessert, the ice cream is also a great touch.
I was looking for them Sunday and couldn't find them.  Interestingly I asked the employees some of them at stores and other restaurants.  Nobody knew where they had them.  The Dumplings are the type of foods SDC won us over with, nothing gourmet but more than just pulled out of a foil pan.
I really hope those F&B people read this blog.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 08:47:07 AM »
Hey, I wish I could take you all back in time to 1979 when the strawberrys and creme concession debuted at SDC. I was one of the first people to work that concession, and I gave out such generous portions of strawberrys and ice creme, management got on my case and told me to cut the portion back by about half. I said no way, if someone will pay $2 or $3 bucks for this, I'm going to give them a REAL portion. (That was big $$ in the day) and so after about two hours in the concession, they put me back in the Vineyard and never let me work in strawberrys and creme again!  :'(  True story!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 10:35:26 AM »
Good for you, Junior!

Again, if anybody ever needs an Apple Dumpling fix, and you can't find them anywhere. Try the stand by the exit of FITH!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 11:24:52 AM »
How did I miss out on this Apple Dumplings secret? Now, I know what to track down during my next visit.;D

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 11:41:44 AM »
How did I miss out on this Apple Dumplings secret? Now, I know what to track down during my next visit.;D

Last year I asked a vendor why they didn't sell Apple Dumplings all year round.  He told me they did at the stand by FITH.  Every time I visited last year they had them at that stand.  I haven't visited yet this year, so I don't know if they still do.  Perhaps some friendly SDCFans member can verify if they are still at that location.  That way all of us dumpling addicts will know where we can get our fix this year.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 05:57:08 PM »
When I was a "youth," you used to be able to find the Apple Dumplings served in midtown in the old Medicine Show stage (converted to a quick service stand in the 80's) just outside the Springhouse and Carrie's Candles.

In recent years, you could always find some served out of the Apple Butter Shop (both incarnations and moves around the City).

I will say that I have indeed tasted a bad one before (cold) and they have changed in form over the years.   More recently, they are in a square-ish pastry, but as a kid, they were in a rounded pastry with just enough covering the apple.  In fact, they used to use an entire apple (cored of course) so you got a fully baked apple baked in a pastry shell with glaze over it.   I personally miss the old style that I remember, but still LOVE the apple dumpling in its current form.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 08:02:50 PM »
In fact, they used to use an entire apple (cored of course) so you got a fully baked apple baked in a pastry shell with glaze over it.

This year at the World Fest mine was served whole cored and peeled. It was wonderful and as I already stated I couldn't find them during the Blue and BBQ.  I didn't know to look at FITH but none of the citizens I asked knew either, they kept saying " maybe near the red gold" I explained I had already checked there.
 In retrospect if I were in Disney they would have picked up the phone and called to see where I could find them but not one of them offered.  Maybe I should have asked them to call but I didn't.  Brings to mind the level of service and interest in there jobs and the park. 
Anyone have the recipe for the apples?

coalesce99

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 01:59:25 PM »

I'm wondering the same thing. I'll have to try them next time.

Anyone a fan of those sweet potato chips w/ the marshmallow sauce? Man those are good.

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 03:45:15 PM »
yea i thought the sweet potato chips were pretty good. a nice change of pace from the regular food. i hope they continue to have a new food item each fest

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 10:04:36 PM »
The Apple dumpling is confirmed to be at the FITH Mountain Cookie stand. It is also probably the best deal in the park as far as food goes. The Mountain Cookie is 3.99 but the Dumpling with Cinnamon ice cream is 4.99.  I am really happy that I have found something I can enjoy each trip.  The price is right and the quality is top notch.  I will say mine on this trip was not really hot but that's OK, I don't think it needs to be on a hot summer day.
Kudos to the F&B people at SDC for having something you cant get elseware.  I am just surprised they quarantine this to that one little stand.
It is my dessert recomendation @ SDC.

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 12:28:14 PM »
^^^Thanks for the confirmation mhguy77.  And I agree with you the Apple Dumpling is my favorite SDC Dessert as well (with Hannah's homemade blackberry ice-cream a close second).

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 12:32:01 PM »
I went to get me a scoop of that there ice cream and when I saw it was pert near 4.00 a scoop I walked out. I just could not spend that much on ice cream for myself.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 01:54:49 PM »
I saw it was pert near 4.00 a scoop I walked out.
I agree but if its made there I don't have a problem with it.
You know a large bowl of dippin dots is 5.59!  Now I can handle $4 for homemade ice cream a lot more that I can handle
the price of dippin dots.