Author Topic: Save Our Ticket Booths!!!!  (Read 34272 times)

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
Save Our Ticket Booths!!!!
« on: May 20, 2012, 09:57:47 AM »
Okay, I decided to begin the thread with an alarmist title just to get attention, but I just wanted to say that the picture below represents one of the smaller, but more important aspects of the Silver Dollar City experience for me.

Not to fire the flames of rumor (when to my knowledge it isn't even one), but how long before we will no longer have these awesome murals to represent our Park's past history?   Jim Owen Float Trip, Silver Dollar City Railroad, Grandfather's Mansion....!!!!!  These murals are an amazing part of the City and have been there as long as I've been alive.

Speaking to this group particularly, we are all mostly in a place where we don't have to pass through the ticket booths any longer.  Do the first time Guests even notice these amazing little vignettes?

So I ask:  If these went away, would anyone notice? 

I think we should start a register of Historic Items to be Preserved in case the day comes when things like old fashioned ticket booths are, shall we say...outmoded?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skinnytie/4914201707/

You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Save Our Ticket Booths!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 10:11:45 AM »
Last year I started a thread that showed photos of some of the park artwork. The HH mural, FITH mural, Baldknobber pix in FITH, there is a wonderful mural in the Flooded Mine, showing a cross section of the mine. It is not totally original, the original was damaged by water over the years and I think it was either completely repainted or repaired extensively. Also the artwork of Gold Medal Flour in Sullivan's Mill. There is a wonderful mural at the exit turnstyles. Those ticket booth paintings are unique and should not be changed, either. I'd love to see all the classic artwork of SDC in a huge coffee table sized book, but for one reason or another the park management has never really paid much attention to their history...except in the 50th anniversary year. Most of the time when something is outdated or upgraded they toss the old stuff into the dumpster and add the new project...the old robbers shack is the most recent to go, and maybe Hobo Junction, too! On the other hand, saving the float trip channel and incorporating it into the Wildfire and AP lines, well, that was great. There is still a sign on the side of lost river that says "Dugan Salvage Yard," too.  Thanks for reminding us, Betamike, about those ticket booth paintings. I took a look at them last week when I took my grandson up to the park for the first time. I'm glad they are still there. I'm also glad the treehouse and the first train depot, covered in vines is still in place. I don't know how much has to do with preserving the past, or how much it has to do with the costs of tearing something out. Think of that wonderful artwork on the back of Christmas Hollow that has the Norman Rockwell takeoff of the girl showing another girl her missing tooth. Think of the Uncle Sam painting on the front of the General Store urging us to send a postcard to the folks back home. Think about the Santitation Squad painting on the Springhouse with the men in "bobby" caps.  SDC would just not be the same without the classic old artwork posted around the city streets.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 10:16:51 AM by Junior »
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 10:26:33 AM »
I agree with you that in most cases, it's an "affect" that makes the City what it is.   Sometimes it is a building as well, like the Robber's Shack, but I know that progress usually wins out over actual architecture.   Still, those are things worth preserving too.

I love the idea of a coffee table book of all this amazing art.  The Sanitation Squad sign is one of my favorite items on Park (I've taken tons of photos of it).  Just think of the access the folks who currently work at the City have at getting good photos of that stuff when they are stringing up Christmas lights!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 02:43:46 PM »
The cave waterfall is by far my favorite.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 03:04:09 PM »
Sorry If I am the bearer of bad news Beta, but I believe that the Sanitary Squad sign has been updated recently.
old sign
new sign
RIP Sanitary Squad

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 03:19:30 PM »
BOOOOOOO!!!!!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 03:58:37 PM »
Sorry Beta! I saw it and thought about it in April to post when we returned home, but I had forgotten about it until this post. It will happen again, but I would hope some of the signs would be replaced with a replica of the original

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 05:48:39 PM »
but I would hope some of the signs would be replaced with a replica of the original
I spoke with a man a few years back that came into business I was running that was a sign painter,. Older man had his portfolio with him and started to show it to me. I noted signs I had seen in SDC, much like the Sanitation Squad sign. I was intrigued and started what ended up  being a long conversation about artwork at the city.  Apparently this man was with the company for many years and told he that they had specific methods of painting and he had to learn them to produce these pieces.
One of the things he shared was none of the paint could be shiny, it all had to me done in a matte finish to look right. These days when I look at the new signs I can see that this has been thrown out the window.
They are shinny now ( some are) and they don't have the " feel" they once had. Much like the sanitation squad they went from looking period to looking comical.  I think it loses period when they do this.
Wish they would return to the hand done signs. 
I did note the ticket booths today as I went through getting some folks in free with BAF. the murals are still there. I had forgoten about them until this morning.  I hate to lose the old stuff.  WE aren't Disney, and when they polish it up it seems like we are trying to be.
IT doesn't fit, come back with the traditional matte finish hand painted and drawn artwork.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 08:22:03 AM by mhguy77 »

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 06:57:25 PM »
I had not thought about the matte vs gloss finish, but it is something that is very true. Looking at the newer signs, several are gloss. Others (like HDH) are manufactured via machine...which looses the hand carved/ personal feel.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 08:19:15 PM »
Aw geez, the whole character of the Sanitation Squad has been compromised.  Look at those faces...how sad. 

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 08:23:34 PM »
At least it is still around albeit changed. Besides having a dirty sign couldnt be good business in the sanitation department....
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 08:54:15 PM »
Ohh trams!!!!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 09:28:27 PM »
I hate the printed glossy signs. The old signs, hand-painted on wood, were perfect. They contributed so much to the theme and atmosphere, even when most people wouldn't notice.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 10:01:16 PM »
Well I had a vision when reading Beta's comments, and was drawn to an image in my head that I needed to create. For you BetaMike, and all others mourning the loss of the sign, I give you the first in the line of t-shirts (my original designs).
Who is in? Stay tuned for the rest of the designs throughout the summer months.

(Oh, and thanks for modeling the shirt for me Beta ;D)

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 09:59:38 AM »
Rube!  I LOVE it!!!!  I'd be the first one in line to buy one of these!!!