Author Topic: Foggy River Boys  (Read 8065 times)

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
Foggy River Boys
« on: May 05, 2012, 06:15:13 PM »
...anyone remember the Foggy River Boys on the strip?  This was the ONE and only show that my parents regularly booked for us to go to in the late 70's and 80's.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foggy_River_Boys
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Foggy River Boys
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 07:02:32 PM »
I never have seen them beta, But 1 of their members, Mike Patrick works at grand country. not sure of his title, but he is directly involved with the hiring of musicians and singers for all of their shows. Mike also is the  Emcee for the evening show.(( He is very close tot he top of the food chain there at grand Country))

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 07:58:32 PM »
Yes, I remember the Foggy River Boys and have been to see their show. They had a reunion at the big 100 years of Branson celebration show at the RFD-TV theater on April 15th.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 03:32:00 AM »
Two Foggy River Boys members, Dale Sullens and John Mitchell, were in the church choir at the church I attended in Branson when I lived there, 1978-1984. My brother had John Mitchell as his choir teacher at Branson High School. Funny thing is, I never did see the show! Both men were very nice. I missed having Lloyd Durre (Well known as the Shepherd at the Shepherd of the Hills play) for my art teacher in high school by one year! He retired, and his replacement, and my teacher was John Swaffer, who was one of the square dancers at Shepherd of the Hills. I went to high school with Bruce Herschend (Jacks son) and Kelly Trimble (whose dad owned Shepherd of the Hills at the time) and Shawna Snadon. (whose dad owns Shepherd of the Hills now.) A classmate in high school was Jace Land, whose grandfather, Townshend Godsey, was a noted journalist, photographer, and College of the Ozarks honcho. I learned some basic photography skills from Jace, who was taught photography by his grand dad. I feel pretty lucky to have lived and worked in Branson when I did. I remember also that Gary Presley's wife would drop off their kids in front of the junior high each morning while I waited for the bus to take me to the high school. (Presley's Country Jubilee) Those two boys are now part of the show, one of them plays the comedy character "Cecil."
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 05:30:28 AM »
We always saw the Foggy River Boys and the Presley Family. Never did see the Baldknobbers Jamboree. About the time I graduated college and stopped going (because I was off to Germany and other places), a group we knew personally called The Texans moved to Branson.

They were from Grapevine, Texas, and made the church circuit , including our tiny church (Sunday morning attendance about 40), in western Arkansas. They were the Master's Three, then the Master's Four, then The Texans. J.D. Capps sang bass, and I think he stood about 6'9".

Shortly after their arrival, Nashville moved to Branson, and the local independent shows got shoved aside.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 05:34:13 AM »
At one of those local independent theaters, we saw Shoji Tabuchi when he was just the novelty act. He was at a couple of different theaters before setting out on his own.

One of my last couple of years going to Branson with my parents, the Hee-Haw theater was open, and we saw Misty Rowe and Kenny Price. I was surprised that Misty could actually sing, and Kenny had a way of being dirty without really being dirty.  ;) ;D

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 11:10:36 AM »
I can't recall exactly where the Foggy River Boys used to play, but I do recall they had their own theater.   The Marquee was a permanent style marquee with their logo (which had a big sweeping font style).   Of course this was back when the "strip" stopped at where The Titanic picks up so it had to be between there and White Water. 

Back in the day, you just had the local acts and Roy Clark when it was building steam.

I also recall them singing "Glow Worm" more than I remember anything else about the show.  I started the thread because the Lawrence Welk rerun was performing that song this week and it made me think of the Foggy River Boys.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 02:02:49 PM »
The Texans now appear at a dinner theater at the Passion Play property at Eureka Springs. (KB Craig)
-
Misty Rowe appeared at Hee Haw in '81, and Kenny Price appeared there from 81-83. I got to meet them both, since I worked there. Kenny and his family were especially nice. I once tried chatting up Kenny's daughter, Jennifer, for a date. She was wise to me, and it never worked out!
-
Foggy River Boys Theater was directly across from where Ride the Ducks is. I think the property is occupied by the old Bobby Vinton, now Branson Variety Theater.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Aunt Mollie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 10:46:55 AM »
While at School of the Ozarks, I worked in the Foggy River Boys' ticket office.  They were one of the first music shows in Branson to use computers in the box offices.  The Sons of the Pioneers did afternoon shows in the theater for a while.  One stormy afternoon, the electric went off on that side of the strip. (Their theater was across the street from The Ducks.) instead of canceling the rest of the show, they opened up the doors near each side of the stage for some light, pulled out more accoustic guitars and put on one of the best concerts I had seen.  I don't recall anyone asking for their money back that day.

They were my mother's favorites. She pretty much listened to The Statlers and The Foggys.