Author Topic: Working In The City  (Read 3874 times)

Grapeslie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Working In The City
« on: April 27, 2012, 08:30:50 AM »
So me and my boyfriend are considering moving to the Branson area. Now I have dreamed of working at silver dollar city since I was a kid. Now I know that there are tons of different jobs within the park but I was wondering about basic pay rates for ride operators people in shows and other things. Also what is the atmosphere like working there. I worry though that if I work there the park might lose its magic. I have years of public relations and customer service under my belt I am just wondering if this is worth actually considering. Thank you  ;D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 08:32:01 AM by Grapeslie »
The Scariest Part Of The Ride Is The Lift Hill!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Working In The City
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 12:05:05 PM »
If you have years of experience, and they have a similar job...move in that direction for better pay. About the money, you will NOT get rich working there, but pay is fair for the area. Many people work day jobs at SDC, and work at other places part time at night or on days off. I did that many years ago, working at night at a live music theater. This is common, to work two jobs in the Branson area. As far as by working there will the place loose it's magic...to some degree, but all these years later, I still love the place and am now a season pass holder. SDC is a unique place, and although it has changed over the years, it still retains more magic than places like WOF or Six Flags. My STRONG suggestion, land the basic, full time job before making a big move, or you may move and find  your nest egg running low and no job in sight. Branson is like any other town in a weak economy. It will be hard to find a job if you have no experience or skills, so plan ahead, don't move to Branson...or Orlando (Disney) or anywhere else unless you have all  your ducks in a row.
-
I should mention that years ago a law was passed allowing different pay rates for the same job...sometimes kids under 18 and older folks might be offered a lower rate of pay than others. Ask about that. Ballpark on ride operator rates of pay, probably between $8 or $9 up to $10 or $11, but leaning toward the lower end. Shows are different, depending on skills and experience. Again, make sure to know the pay offered before you accept. Remember you will work at SDC in most cases at best 30-36 weeks per year, and they don't pay you in the off season.
-
Another note: There are many families and individuals who work hard all season at one or two jobs each, then go on unemployment benefits in the off season. I know from having lived in Branson that this is a thing GENERATIONS of families have done...just like the nasty cycle of poor people who had grandmas and parents before them on various relief...welfare...unemployment...medicaid...and so on. Let me say this in a straight forward way: DON'T TRY TO LIVE YOUR LIFE THAT WAY. Try to make a good life for yourself. I had to move from Branson to pursue college and a completely different career path, and I have no regrets. (And this comes from a guy who had an opportunity to work his way up in the company and be part of SDC management. I was an assistant manager at the diving bell in 1981.)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 12:20:40 PM by Junior »
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 06:03:38 PM »
working at the City never got old for me or made me feel like any of the magic was lost.   I was young, and lived well within my means so the money was never an issue for me.  True, it's not a get rich quick scenario, but most theme park jobs aren't unless you can become salaried.   

I took the job because I loved what I did.  I then used my introduction to theme park operations and management and moved away from there and got a job at Disney where I'm proud to say, I've elevated myself through the Company.   So it's a great place to get a foundation on the theme park industry, but Junior is right....you have to go into it knowing that this is a "Seasonal" park and you can't just ask for more hours when they aren't there.

To answer your question about the environment within Herschend...I feel you can't beat it.  I am who I am today because of Silver Dollar City and the people I knew there helped shape me.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 06:19:37 PM »
But how sucky is it during the summer? It gets so hot....and I am a pansy. Is there a means to cool off somewhere for the citizens?
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
I was primarily a summer employee actually....AND I MADE CANDY OVER 300 degree kettles!  Ha!!!  Actually, I can speak for myself that the Candy Basement is kept as cold as a tomb, but I'm not sure how the asphalt and availability of break rooms (or lack of) affected others.    Yeah, the summer sucks and it doesn't get any better in Florida either, but that again is all part of the theme park love/addiction/territory.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 08:39:34 PM »
Someday...someday, if only for one day.

To quote the great Wayne Campbell: "It will be mine. Oh yes. It will be mine"

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 09:57:21 PM »
Trams and I were talking about this just the other day!
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 11:29:48 AM »
You will get used to being outside all summer. I did 10 diving bell shows per day in a building that only had three big blower fans and somewhat crappy air conditioning in the capsules. Rest of the time, we were all outside. Rain, wind, sleet, cold, hot. We were young and full of health, no problems. The costume shop issues long johns and jackets for cold days. We made it, todays "citizens" can too. So can you...go for it! ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 02:02:54 PM »
You will get used to being outside all summer.

The key is to be outside early, before it gets hot.

I spent two summers working on a railroad section gang, and we started at 6. It was blazing hot, but not like it would be if you stepped out into it in the middle of the day.