Author Topic: Woodcarvers  (Read 7140 times)

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Woodcarvers
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 11:54:55 AM »
A shame.

You know, looking at the prices of the mass-produced doors at the local Lowes suggests to me that their hand-carved ones can't be all that more expensive,  Yikes!

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 01:49:45 AM »
There is a guy who live sorta down the street from me who does woodcarvings for a living. Its fun to take the long way home just to pass his house and see what he's got going on in his garage that he usually leaves the door open on. The stuff he makes isn't overly expensive, so I don't really know why the people at the City have to make their stuff so dadgum costly.
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 06:44:44 AM »
Tiff: Theme parks have a monopoly on your day. In addition, they have HUGE costs of operation. I've reported it here before, but back about 1978 or 79 when I was in food service at SDC, it cost three cents to fill a small cup with ice, Coke, and to pay a server for selling it to you. The guest cost for that drink was about a buck with taxes. A huge profit. Same goes for the stuff sold at shops. Remember, everytime they add a new attraction like OUTLAW RUN, it is a giant expense...I think the number I've seen on it is ten million. The prices across the entire park including your admission, help pay for those attractions. Again, if I saw the correct figures, SDC hopes about 26,000 additional visitors will come next year due to Outlaw Run. What is it now for a one day ticket, about $60? Multiply and thrown in at least another $40 per head for food, drinks, stuff from shops, and it is a significant number. Now think of the repeat guests next year that will make a special trip to ride Outlaw Run...the number roll up faster. Big money is collected by parks, but much heads out of the park in the form of them paying their bills and for employees. In the end, though, they do make a profit. That is why they open their doors again year after year.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 10:39:41 AM »
That makes sense.
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin