Author Topic: Silver Dollar City Ephemera  (Read 9969 times)

BelmontATO

• View Profile
Silver Dollar City Ephemera
« on: May 23, 2008, 01:08:32 PM »
Hey, check out these old SDC Artist Renderings I found on Flickr!

http://flickr.com/photos/skinnytie/sets/72157601729928940/

sdcforever

Re: Silver Dollar City Ephemera
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 01:22:43 PM »
^Wow, those are great!  A real treasure and great look into SDC's past!  Definitely priceless!

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 01:39:35 PM »
I think it'd be cool if they placed that fence somewhere in the park for families to take their pictures. It would add some a small but good theme element to the Grand Expo perhaps...
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 01:45:01 PM »
Wow, this is some amazing stuff. I'm really going to have ask the owner for permission to use some to these on the site.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 02:01:19 PM »
I am sure he will let you Steve. He is a great guy. He use to work in the Candy Factory at SDC years ago. His picture still hangs on the wall. I believe he works for Disney now.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 06:29:14 PM »
That's me for sure Copper!  (and thanks for the compliment)  You guys can post all that you want on here, I certainly don't mind.  In case you all are interested, I just started a photo sharing group over on <a href="http://www.flickr.com/groups/silverdollarcity/" target="_blank">Flickr</a> for Silver Dollar City enthusiasts.

See link below:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/silverdollarcity/
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 08:46:21 PM by betamike »
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

sdcforever

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 09:50:52 AM »
^Great group!  Hopefully it'll attract some attention.  I liked seeing the photos of the old petting zoo (some fond memories were had there!) and Gandy Dancer.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 02:18:12 AM »
A question for betamike:  Did the candy factory ever make anything other than peanut brittle?  It seems like I've seen video of someone making candy canes, but I don't know if it was at SDC.

Even if it wasn't, how hard would it be to make different candies for different seasons?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 02:11:36 PM »
Oh yes.  The brittles (peanut, cashew, black walnut, Peco flake, and pecan) were the biggest sellers along with the fudges.  We would make the different kinds based on sales and because we supplied the Riverboat, Grand Palace and Village shops, as well as the Ozark Marketplace, you could imagine why those took precedence.

In the basement of the candy shop, we have a production center where we make A LOT of other candies.  June dips most of the clusters that you see up by the sales registers while we also make the taffy base for the taffy factory in the morning. 

We also make the 3 Layer Coconut, Fool's Gold (Peanut Brittle without the Peanuts), barks, caramels, and the hard candies which are the sticks and the pillows.  If you ever make your way to the middle of the galloping bridge just past the candy factory, you can smell what is being made inside the basement as the exhaust is directed out that way.

To answer the last part of your question, in the winter there are hard candy stick demonstrations using the batch roller.  It fits with the season and because the air is less humid, you can make it upstairs....plus it is themed to the season. 

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 02:25:55 PM »
That's good to know, and I'll definately check it out the next time we're there (hopefully soon).  I had thought most of the candy was made elsewhere and just packaged with an SDC logo, but this gives me a new respect for the operation.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 02:32:29 PM »
Hahaha, when I was there, they were introducing a lot more of the purchased items (which we do re-package)  :-\

but the bulk of what you see, we make right there in the shop!  This practice of buying from vendors goes waaaaay back though.  As a matter of fact, one of my favorite items as a kid when I visited were the fireballs and the red licorice "pipes" which were all part of a vendor purchased/re-packaged item.

Have fun when you go.  I will be there in August!!! 

Happy 4th everyone!

sdcforever

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 08:00:33 PM »
^Wow!  Cool!  And 6 bids already; clearly there are some SDC collectors out there.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 09:51:44 AM »
Oh, there are definitely collectors out there. I'm STILL waiting for my chance to get those Coca Cola door hangers. I got outbid every time I tried for 'em.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

kctx

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 09:31:05 AM »
Thank you so much for the memories!!!!!!! :D