Author Topic: 2012 Trip Reviews  (Read 141858 times)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Trip Reviews
« Reply #270 on: July 01, 2012, 10:09:21 PM »
Went to the park. It was hot.

Really I will post a better summary tomorrow!

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 02, 2012, 10:02:52 AM »
Biscuit-good review! Sounds like a nice short trip!

Rube- I think that sums it up. Went to park. It was hot. I feel your pain through those words.....:) but I do like to read more.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 02, 2012, 10:37:17 AM »
Took a few days of the summer to relax on Table Rock this past week, so I just HAD to get to the city seeing that I was so close. The forecast was pretty scary seeing that we have an 8 month old baby. The weathermen at KY3 were calling for 105*+ temps this week...we were a bit nervous.

We arrived on Indian Point, hit up Ruby Tuesday's for a nice light salad dinner to set a good standard for our meals for the week. We went to the city Tuesday morning and lasted about 2 hours. We arrived at 10:00 and were the last of the cars to park in Lot#3 by the rock pile. It was much more crowded than I imagined. Walking around was not teribly hot, the water rides were packed, and the shows were also. After leisurely walking the City, we headed back to swim in the pool.

Wednesday we bummed around Branson-Tanger, Grand Village, etc. that was about it. This was the hottest day-a record setter for Branson, so we did not do too much

Thursday I headed into the City with my dad. It was nice to walk around with him, he is just finishing up his chemotherapy, as well as recovering from a heart attack...so needless to say it was nice to hang out with him. I took some photos with my Polaroid Land Camera, I will have to post a few of these seeing that I LOVE the look of a few of them. After a few hours, we headed to Danna's BBQ in Branson West (there is also one on 165).http://www.dannasbbq.com/ Man was the Pulled Pork on garlic Texas toast good... I will be there again! For dessert we headed to the strip to see our good friend Andy (Andy's frozen custard) I always get something new when I go so this time I tried the Branson Centennial COncrete. This was a vanilla custard blended with a full piece of McFarlain's one-of-a-kind Branson Traffic Jam Pie made with cherries, strawberries, rhubarb and cranberries. It was sweet and tart, and really good! Oh and I had to wash it down with a Sprecher Root Beer!

Friday we headed into the City for a full family tin type (despite the outragous price). Missed the train by about 10 seconds, and didn;t want to wait 30 more minutes for another one so we wandered the city tried the new Sparkler Taffy (special 4th of July Strawberry-Blueberry-Cheesecake-red white and blue ) and relaxed on the Taffy shop porch with a Sioux City for a while. As the temperature rose, that was our sign to head out for the day.

It was HOT wed-fri, but nothing too unbearable if you hydrated, and paced yourself. We witnessed on man physically ill near the depot being addressed by EMT/EMS , he was confused, vomiting, and about to pass out, the usual heat related symptoms. IT was HOT, but as the week went on, it was more and more humid. I could never spend enough time in the park, but this time due to the baby, and the heat, I spent even less time at the city, and more time at the pool, not too bad either way I guess!

There is plenty more about stores, rides etc. to include, but I will be posting that stuff on the respective threads!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 02, 2012, 04:25:18 PM »
rube, sounds like a good 4 or 5 days,

hope your dad continues to improve!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 02, 2012, 04:46:12 PM »
Rube, didn't know about your dads health. Hope he is feeling better.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 02, 2012, 04:59:14 PM »
Thanks guys!

ALMOST FORGOT!
We went to the Titanic Museum. I was excited, my wife not as much. I really had a good time looking at all the items that made it off the ship one way or another. I would not go back again seeing that I would have seen most of the pieces. but it was something to see once for anyone. I liked it, but the $25 per person was still pricey for a cheapskate like me. I did find out through the mailer upon returning home that you can save $5 per person with a Season Pass from SDC...o-well!

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 04, 2012, 02:15:05 PM »
We went in this morning.  We were there soon after opening, but we missed the opening.  We went to the GE first, and had no waits.  Then we took the youngest for her first ever rides on Lost River and FITH.  I think she liked them.  She called Lost River the "pirate cave." We caught the Wallendas, and we really enjoyed it.  Now we are cooling off and resting in the motel before heading back in this evening.  It is hot but manageable.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 04, 2012, 05:07:51 PM »
We went in this morning.  We were there soon after opening, but we missed the opening.  We went to the GE first, and had no waits.  Then we took the youngest for her first ever rides on Lost River and FITH.  I think she liked them.  She called Lost River the "pirate cave." We caught the Wallendas, and we really enjoyed it.  Now we are cooling off and resting in the motel before heading back in this evening.  It is hot but manageable.

It's only around a 100 today, it's cool. I'm told by a meteorologist friend that July isn't going to be like last year. You put last year together with this year for Ft. Smith Arkansas and 100 degree days are 50 or more. And to think it got to -21 at my house in Jan of 2011 here in Fayetteville.

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 04, 2012, 10:56:14 PM »
We went back in tonight.  I mixed feelings about our evening.  We arrived about 6:00, and it didn't feel too busy.  We did Fm, the train, the carousel,  and another ride on FITH. Line was long for PK.  Had dinner with minimal line.  So, not a bad evening.  By the time went to Echo Hollow, it was closed because it was full!  Somehow it didn't cross our minds that it would be full--lol.  People were routed to GE, but it was crazy there.  We left before fireworks and watched Chateau's instead!  Fun evening, though.  American Plunge was down at about 8:00.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 05, 2012, 07:42:41 AM »
We went back in tonight.  I mixed feelings about our evening.  We arrived about 6:00, and it didn't feel too busy.  We did Fm, the train, the carousel,  and another ride on FITH. Line was long for PK.  Had dinner with minimal line.  So, not a bad evening.  By the time went to Echo Hollow, it was closed because it was full!  Somehow it didn't cross our minds that it would be full--lol.  People were routed to GE, but it was crazy there.  We left before fireworks and watched Chateau's instead!  Fun evening, though.  American Plunge was down at about 8:00.

WOW,, that would be quite a turnout for the fireworks.. The PTB should be happen with that,, Too bad you didnt get a chance to see them..on the other hand, with ALL those people, down in the hole, I bet it was very warm.....

sounds like a good day for you and yours, congrats,

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 05, 2012, 08:30:46 AM »
with ALL those people, down in the hole, I bet it was very warm.....
You KNOW that concrete easy bake oven they call Echo Hollow was more than warm.
That slab of concrete really heats up during the day.
I wonder how the fireworks were, I also wonder where they shot them off from.

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 09, 2012, 05:26:03 AM »
Since the rest of the family is snoring away I'll post a quick review of yesterday...
Got there at open, park seemed particulary fresh and clean. Rode AP twice in a row, fith twice, pk was closed so we hit hdh for a bit, lroto was up next, and we walked into the exit side (they were boarding and deboarding from the same side), went to gg, the bubble show, fm, tnt twice, more hdh and headed out. Attendance was the lowest I have seen it since I was a kid. No lines on rides, no lines for food or drink. Seating at shows still available at showtime. We did all of the above mentioned between 930 and 130. Simply amazing with my kiddos in tow. It was hot but not terrible when we left.
As we shopped in the afternoon the heat was getting bad but still not intolerable
A pretty good storm rolled throught here in the evening.
More tomorrow as we are here until wed!
"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 09, 2012, 07:30:44 AM »
sounds like a great trip so far saloongal.. have fun today! I would expect low attendance to day too...

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 09, 2012, 02:10:05 PM »
wasn't there today,

but heard the Big Swing was down for mechanical reasons, ( something about storm damage) Also sent most  of the employees home early from the Wilson farm area...

Attendence today very low, But I dont have numbers.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 09, 2012, 09:16:54 PM »
Awww...we wanted to go to the City, but ran out of time, and it was hot, hot, hot!  Too hot to be pushed around in a wheelchair (still recovering from broken knee *sigh*), so we did things we have never done before.  1) Took the tram tour through Fantastic Caverns - that was a LOT more fun than I expected!! 2) Took in music shows (we never do this!) - Jeerk and American Idol Finalists -   Both were great!! 3) Rode the paddle wheeler on Taneycomo - again lots of fun! 4) A visit to Bass Pro in Springfield for fly fishing gear. 5) Big Cedar for bbq and fireworks - Awesome! 6) Attended Branson's 100th Anniv. celebration w/bands, food, and more fireworks - more Awesome! So, hopefully I will be at the City near the end of summer to try it again.