Author Topic: 1950s Dress  (Read 3197 times)

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
1950s Dress
« on: March 06, 2012, 02:21:02 PM »
For my 19th birthday, I'm taking a few friends to see Memphis at the Fox Theatre in St. Louis. It is set in the 1950s and were are going in theme. I'm looking for a dress that is inspired by the 1950s. I don't want it to look to costume-y and I don't really want to spend more than $40. Does anybody know where I could find a dress?

I've already asked my grandma and she said she would look in the attic (she doesn't get rid of anything), but she said she doubts any of her old clothes would fit me.

P.S. I wear between a size 3 & 6 dress, depending on how it is made.
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 1950s Dress
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 03:15:11 PM »
Tiffany, try your local Goodwill, Salvation Army, or thrift store.  We get lots of costumes there for school plays, etc. for only a few dollars. 

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 06:49:54 PM »
Go purchase some poodle skirt material at a fabric store and some no sew tape stuff and whip you up a poodle skirt. Cotton balls for the poodle a little puff paint and tacky glue and your in business. White button shirt to match.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 07:36:16 PM »
Go purchase some poodle skirt material at a fabric store and some no sew tape stuff and whip you up a poodle skirt. Cotton balls for the poodle a little puff paint and tacky glue and your in business. White button shirt to match.

I have a poodle skirt from dance a few years ago, but I wanted something a little more casual, and I think my sister might be wearing my poodle skirt.

The friends that I have going are going to ask the choir director if they can wear what they wore in the musical at the high school. They just finished "Bye, Bye Birdie" last weekend and all my friends that are going to see "Memphis" were in "Bye Bye Birdie". We are trying to talk Robby into wearing his Conrad Birdie wig lol
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 07:48:53 PM by tiffanylynnt »
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin