Author Topic: Kid Tips and Tricks  (Read 5625 times)

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Kid Tips and Tricks
« on: March 06, 2012, 10:37:44 AM »
Talking about strollers in another thread made me wonder, what are your tips and tricks for an easy day in SDC?
Also, how old were your kids when you let them explore on their own?

One thing that has worked well for us the last couple years is to pack to "kits", one that stays with the stroller and one that is in the backpack so that if we split up, everyone still has sunscreen, water, sanitizer, etc. instead of waiting until we meet back up.
I also put ice cubes in a ziploc with a wash cloth, then you have a cold rag if it is needed.
I always put a couple towels in the seat of the stroller, it makes messes easier to clean up and makes it nice for after water rides, also if one get dirty or wet, the second one underneath is usually fine.

"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Kid Tips and Tricks
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 10:55:02 AM »
I cannot stress the importance of ziplock bags enough!! Holy cannoli! I pack clean clothes in them along with things that cant get wet. Must have.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 10:59:58 AM »
That reminds me, when mine were babies, I used the snack size ziplocs to premeasure formula, then just snipped the corner off to put in the bottle.

And I take extra ziplocs to put dirty clothes in.

I think I use ziplocs for more non-food use than food!

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 11:13:35 AM »
My mom ALWAYS had a couple towels (usually borrowed from the hotel), a box of Ziplock bags, a change of clothes for both my sister and I, Germx and sunscreen. Usually Mom would make trail mix because she hated spending a ton of money on snacks in the park because my sister and I couldn't care less what we ate when we were really little, like the stroller age and a few years older. The only food we would buy was lunch or dinner, or breakfast depending on what time we got there.

My mom let me and my sister wander off by ourselves when we got cell phones, which was the summer before I was a freshman in high school which meant my sister had to stay in my sight until 2 years later she got her phone, but if we brought friends who had cell phones, we could go off with them. I think the youngest I got to be by myself was 7th grade, because my best friend had a phone and she came to SDC with us a lot! I think if it wasn't for the safety thing, like my mom worrying about us being kidnapped, she would have let us wander off a lot sooner whether we had phones or not, because we basically knew where everything was and kind of had an idea of where to find everyone if we had to.
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 12:37:43 PM »
I never roamed outside of GG. I didnt like to be away from the 'rents. Plus my 'rents were fun!! Dad took brother off somewhere mom took me off. We had walkie talkies. The most I would do was ride flooded mine without them. Then they would be at the exit lookin in a shop. I heart mommy and daddy. lol. I am so nerdy.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 01:18:34 PM »
I love my parents too, but sometimes I just need to get away from them lol
When I'm in a really bad mood on a day we go to SDC, I wander off by myself (nobody but me, not even my sister or a friend) for about an hour or so until I feel better then I get back together with everybody. The same when I've had something on my mind for a while, I wander off to be by myself at SDC then I find everyone again later when I decide the thing on my mind isn't important anymore.
I do like to hang out with my mom. She's the only other person in my family who cares about theatre, so we hang out at the shows while my sister and dad go ride rides, except for the train. Dad thinks of the train as "nap time".
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:21:30 PM by tiffanylynnt »
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 11:19:27 PM »
My girls are 11 years apart.  We had gone through the stages with my older DD.  We had gotten to the stage where she kept track of her own belongings, and then we started over!

Currently, we bring little disposable containers (like Ziploc) and fill them with snacks--cereal, Goldfish crackers, and Teddy Grams.  I try to pack things she doesn't get all of the time so that they are a novelty.  These are handy in shows.

This sounds a little bad, but I have some emergency Ring Pops in the diaper bag.  They fit on her finger so she is less likely to drop it, and there isn't a stick that gets soggy.  This can entertain her for quite some time.  So far, no biting the candy or licking it enough to get too small.  You just have to watch carefully.

We always bring extra clothes, shoes, and all sizes of plastic baggies.  We also always bring our own stroller.  We can use it in the parking lot if we need too, and it reclines nicely and has a tray for a cup and snacks. 

If you stay at Deer Run, you can take a break nearby during the early afternoon and return in the early evening if your little one needs to get away. 

My older daughter could roam for short periods in a predetermined area when she got a cell phone at age 11.  She is not a thrill-seeker, and often she just likes to explore on her own a little.

IHeartSDC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 01:13:42 PM »
We have two kids, ages 9 and 5. This is what we do:

1. We carry a backpack into the park, full of necessities.

2. We freeze bottles of water several days before we leave for SDC. We keep them in the cooler or fridge at the hotel, and every morning as we head out to the park, we put several bottles into the side pockets of our backpack, and as the frozen water melts throughout the day, we have cold, fresh tasting water. (I know, you can get free water in the park, but let's be real here, it tastes NASTY!)

3. On days we are going to do water rides, we wear our "wet clothes". Swim shorts and light cotton t-shirts for my guys, nylon running shorts and light cotton t-shirt for me, swimsuit and nylon shorts for my daughter. We wear our tennis shoes into the park, but change into water shoes/flip flops when we are ready to ride the water rides. We store our backpack in a locker, ride the water rides until we are soaked to the bone and have had our fill, then we make our way back to the locker, change into dry socks and shoes, and go on about our day. Our clothes dry quickly, and we don't have to worry about walking around all day in wet shoes! We also make sure we have ziploc bags in the backpack to store any wet stuff in.

4. We stay at Deer Run! The free shuttle is a lifesaver. It drops you off at the entrance to SDC. It picks you up at the exit at SDC, and basically drops you off at your motel room door. 

5. Best advice ever: Get to the park at rope drop, leave by mid-afternoon. Go back to your hotel room and swim/rest/cool off. Go back to the park after dinner.

6. I get in line for shows up to an hour early, and my husband takes the kids to do a couple of rides while I'm waiting. That way, the kids don't get restless and bored.

This is all I can think of right now! Hope this helps someone!
Season Pass Holders since 2009!
Me-33
Hubby-34
Little Man-9
The Princess-5

Happy, Homeschoolin', SDC-lovin' family from Oklahoma!

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 04:52:21 PM »
Sounds like a great plan IHeart. Thanks for sharing.

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 04:09:04 PM »
IHeart-We are the same way about water rides, we plan when we will ride them and we are prepared.
I cringe when I see people walking in soaking wet tennis shoes.

I got a new back pack this year and the bottom section if it is a cooler. I think it will hold 3-4 water bottles a couple juice boxes and some snacks with ice packs.
Excited to give it a trial run at the city.

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 11:07:06 AM »
Our first trip of the year is coming up this weekend.
While making my packing list I came to the sudden realization that I only need about 1/4 as much as I did two years ago for trip to the city. And I still probably dont need all that I am taking. It is a huge relief.

I am really hoping that the measure stick at SDC puts my son at 42 inches too. I think he is that tall from home measurement but you never know.

This morning the kids and I reviewed that all employees at SDC have a name tag that looks like the sign and who it is safe to talk to and how we ask for help there. Oldest knows our phone numbers but youngest doesn't yet, I will probably put a label in his shoe so he has it with him.

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 11:29:02 AM »
Just to note the measuring station in now located next to the roller coaster in GE.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 09:50:24 PM »
Wipes!  We go through more during a day in the city than in an entire day of diaper changing with the new baby.

Extra sunscreen.  Those tend to be lost easily so it is always good to have an extra. 

We have stopped cooling our own bottles of water.  We take our refillable cups and bottles of water at room temp and get free ice in them and cool the water that way.  That way it doesn't make your bag or stroller wet. 

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 10:31:07 PM »
Just to note the measuring station in now located next to the roller coaster in GE.

Isn't that where it's always been? They really should put it closer to the park entrance instead of making people have to go all the way to the back of the park just to get a measurement for their kids.

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 07:54:05 AM »

Isn't that where it's always been? They really should put it closer to the park entrance instead of making people have to go all the way to the back of the park just to get a measurement for their kids.

I agree!! Centrally located would be much better! We aren't just measuring to see if they can ride back in the GE, we want to know for all the rides.