Author Topic: Buzzsaw Falls Video  (Read 9069 times)

Gift Shop Gal

• View Profile
Buzzsaw Falls Video
« on: February 12, 2012, 10:21:34 AM »
Just found this today, go to the 2:30 mark in the video to check out Buzzsaw Falls! I miss this ride, it was differant & alot of fun. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WOneYc2NkA

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Buzzsaw Falls Video
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 11:37:30 AM »
That was fun to watch! I don't remember Buzz Saw Falls - which is weird.  There was about a 10 yr. period of time when we spent vacations traveling out west.  What years was it in operation?

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 12:30:15 PM »
It was an interesting ride. It just didn't work very well.

I think it was open 1998-2003.

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 06:57:50 AM »
I rode it one time and really didn't like it. Now Powderkeg is a whole diffrent story.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 07:41:09 AM »
I HATED BSF. It just was not fun. I rode it maybe 3 times tops. I am glad they took a shot on something new. Gave an idea a try. But not all ideas are winners.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 11:56:27 AM »
Yeah, I wonder if nostalgia because it is no longer there prevails in most recollections...or was it really that great?  I rode it a few times and wasn't really "wowed" by it at all.   I appreciated the amphibian technology, but the themeing was lacking and it just didn't have enough heart to keep it fond recollection these days.

Good find on the video though, at least this way it won't be lost to history.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 12:34:51 PM »
WOW!  Must have had my eyes closed.  I don't even remember it, but it looked cool!  When we started visiting the park again, it was usually during the Thanksgiving - Christmas time of year, so if it was there it was probably closed.  SDC lured us back when my son was deployed and we couldn't face holidays w/o him. My daughter suggested our return to SDC and...it's been that way ever since!  :) 

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 01:37:25 PM »
I always wanted to ride it, but by the time I was tall enough, it closed.  :(
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 01:45:58 PM »
It wasn't all that bad, but like betamike said, it really didn't have much heart to it. Really, it didn't have much of anything to it. The ride was simply a prototype to showcase the possibilities of the ride system, I think that's why SDC got it for cheap. The rapids section was short with just a couple rough patches, the coaster section was just a small drop and a long turn (half of which still exists on PK to this day), and the drop was OK, but nothing to be blown away by. Overall it was a nice, unique experience for a park that at the time barely had any rides at all. 1998 was a different time at the park...

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 02:08:56 PM »
I got teary-eyed watching the first part of the video. I miss the City so much!!
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 03:39:55 PM »
I kicked off the snow day today with a ride on the train. I love the guy playing ralphie. Hey hey hey!!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 05:21:16 PM »
Nice find. There's a lot more there than just Buzz Saw Falls, I was pleasantly surprised. We went to the park once when this was open but my kids were little and never rode it. This looks like some kind of promotional or documentary video, does any one know the original source?
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 10:30:20 PM »
The first half of the video was cool.  Thanks for sharing.  The 2nd part just makes me wish old rides never went away.  I wasn't particularly impressed with BSF, but it was unique, and I am sure would have grown on me.  That said, I'm fairly certain most people would agree that PK is better.  Without BSF though there would likely never have been a PK.  Maybe something like it, but not the exact ride.  Of course with the total money spent on both we could have had something even cooler then either maybe.

In a perfect world, I'd rather all the old rides still be around though and just add on.  In the real world, I think we are better off as is, with PK as opposed to BSF.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 05:31:13 AM »
the beginning of the video reminds me of a VHS tape of SDC that my brother used to have, i think it was from the late 90s. same cast of characters & scenes, i believe it was a promotional video, but the one he had concentrated more on the craftsmen of the park. we have no idea where the video is at, we think his son took it to florida.. :-\ 
Live life like it's the last day!

Grapeslie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 11:19:11 AM »
I remember Waiting for Buzz Saw Falls to Open I Was so Excited! I Dont know if anyone remembers but it was delayed a whole year and didnt open till late in the 1999 season because they had to do a major rebuild to the rapids section. Either way I remeber when I finally rode it I felt let down. I remember thinking Thats it? However the ride did grow on me and I do have fond memories. Specifically riding it at night! I got two good rides in the dark on that ride and they still hold the spot as the best night rides on a Roller Coaster I have ever done! And I've rode Raven and Legend in the pitch black! All I can say is it was a magical moment I will never forget! I think it was wise to build powderkeg in its place however. I was very happy though that they paid respect to BSF in the themeing for Powderkeg! Makes me smile and remember those night rides every time I see it! I do miss it sometimes though! But you know what I really Miss! ORE CART! Best Kiddie Coaster EVER!  ;D
The Scariest Part Of The Ride Is The Lift Hill!