Author Topic: If anyone knows anything about cats... Help!  (Read 7073 times)

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
If anyone knows anything about cats... Help!
« on: February 09, 2012, 07:33:03 AM »
We rescued a cat from a not-so-very nice guy and Mom says as soon as the weather warms up (and stays that way), Angel is being kicked outside. She was raised inside by the bad guy and by us, so I'm afraid she won't be able to survive outside. Angel has never been outside for more than an hour and that was with my dad being right there with her. Then the poor thing was too afraid to get off the porch. Dad would set her in the grass and she would get a really sad look on her face and give a very pathetic cry until her put her back on the porch. I'm trying to convince Mom that Angel should stay in the house, but with no luck so far. My dad agrees with my mom all the time, and my sister is honestly way too busy to interact with Angel at all, so she's not much help either. Angel is very sweet and usually follows the rules, but she has her moment. But who doesn't? There are a ton of stray dogs around our house, also our neighbor never puts their dogs away. Also, our neighbor has turkeys that get into our yard. One of them has already attacked our dog, and she stands about to my knee, so she isn't small and it messed up her leg. Our dog did not provoke the turkey. The stupid thing just ran up and scared our dog, so it was more or less self defense. I would hate to think what the turkeys could do to a cat who has never had to fend for herself.
I'm looking for more reasons to keep Angel inside. Could anyone help?

(She wouldn't sit still for the picture.)

I would like to add: nobody in the house is allergic to cats, so that's not why Angel has to move outside.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 07:52:44 AM by tiffanylynnt »
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Re: If anyone knows anything about cats... Help!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 08:29:32 AM »
I don't know a whole lot about cats but someone needs to clean up that hot dog stand pronto!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 09:04:55 AM »
Pretty Cat.  wont last a week outside on her own, You need to convince the family to keep her inside, or start posting gice away ads, at the local markets or vet offices.. 
You can run free listings on Craigslist also..
You might try Facebook also..

She needs to find a Nice indoor home.  good luck..

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 10:52:21 AM »
I'd really like to keep her, but its really hard to convince my mom to do anything she doesn't want to. Lucky for Angel, I'm more stubborn than my mom is.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 10:57:49 AM »
What if you agreed to keep her in your room? Purchase a kitty condo for the cat to play on and what not.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 11:42:44 AM »
Injun Joe and Trams - that's too funny!  That was my first thought, also:  Miss Tiffany, get that room cleaned up!  Trams is right on this one!  See if you can make a deal with mom.  Keep us posted.

NebFan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 03:56:22 PM »
What is the reason mom won't let you keep her indoors? Is she declawed? It sounds like the cat is afraid to be outside,so if mom says the cat should be outside,look around for another home,the vet's office would be a good place to ask. Putting up free ads is not usually a good idea,people get the cats to be evil to them most of the time Check with the local pound,some have no kill policies. We have adopted our cats through them.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 06:59:19 PM »
i really dont have any advice for ya tiffanylynnt, & hope the best for both of ya. we have 4 cats. 1 is a cat that i've had since the mid 90s, & the other 3 were born out here on our 7 acres right before a bad snowstorm 2 years ago. we got new ones fixed & they go outside, but not for long. too many other cats & animals around here, we have had some crazy moments out here!

hard to say what to do tiffany, all these replies are really good advice, i wish you 2 all the luck. i hope ya find something.
Live life like it's the last day!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 07:56:07 PM »
Meow, meow meow. Meow meow meow meow! Meow. Meow! (OK, I hope that clears things up.)  ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 11:18:15 PM »
I told Mom we could save more money if she stays inside, because there would be less chance of flees, and she probably wouldn't need every single shot if she's inside all the time. Also there wouldn't be as many injuries, so less trips to the vet, which can get really expensive... And I kept going on with stuff like that.
Mom kinda gave me a look like, "good try" and she said, "I'll think about it." Which usually means 'no', but if she really in truly thinks about it, I bet she'll give in  ;)

I also mentioned the stray dogs and since we live on a corner, there is twice as many cars and of course Angel doesn't understand that you stay away from giant speeding objects.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 11:18:46 PM by tiffanylynnt »

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 01:03:58 AM »
Cats who are raised indoors are hard to move outside (for the most part). She has no outside survival skills, and even if she's okay she'll be miserable.

If she's been declawed, she absolutely can't be allowed outside, at all. Not only have her primary defensive weapons been taken away, but her means of escape, too! (Declawed cats can't climb trees.)

If your mom won't relent, find her a good indoor home.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 12:42:49 PM »
Mom had mentioned a while ago that 'if' Angel stays inside, we'd have to get her declawed, so maybe she's thinking about keeping her inside. I don't know. Mom can be unpredictable sometimes.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 12:53:50 PM »
We got our family cat the minute she was weaned (she was from a litter born to my aunt's cat). We had her spayed and declawed in the front as soon as she was old enough for the procedures. She remained indoors her entire life. Aside from one bout of sickness when she was still fairly young, she never got sick, and she died last year at the ripe old age of 19.

Most of my aunt's cats were outdoor cats, and none of them lived to see 10.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 03:58:52 PM »
I bet you can talk her into it, Tiff.  You seem like a fine, responsible young lady!  Make good on your promises to mom.  Maybe you can talk her into a trial period to see how it works out.  Keep us posted.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 01:40:49 PM »
If it keeps snowing, I'm not gonna have to worry about it!