Author Topic: TNT - Could it ever be expanded?  (Read 36858 times)

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
TNT - Could it ever be expanded?
« on: January 29, 2012, 08:17:58 PM »
Does anyone think it would ever be possible to extend the circuit on TNT? It's a fantastic ride, but It's always bugged me how short the ride is, particularly how abruptly it comes to a end after the long lift and offers a mere single drop to close the circuit.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
Re: TNT - Could it ever be expanded?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 08:23:21 PM »
I've been thinking the same thing. Very often I hear people say, "Is that it?" as the train pulls into that first building, I guess its the workshop.
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 09:11:17 PM »
Absolutely it could happen, but it would be far more likely that they would just take the ride out and replace it with a different, maybe similar experience. TNT was produced by Arrow Dynamics as one of the last mine train type roller coasters the firm ever built before going out of business in the early 2000's. This type of coaster is actually what catapulted Arrow into becoming a giant in the roller coaster industry. They built dozens of these things around the world, but SDC's was probably the last and greatest of them all (most of them were pretty boring honestly, so it's not that big of a compliment).

Anyway, the point is that TNT is part of a legacy that has past on. The park has made a lot of effort in keeping the ride up over the years, but it is still a bit rough and of course the layout is now overshadowed by the rest of SDC's coasters. Arrow Dynamics was purchased by S&S Power (the company responsible for Powderkeg and TGS), so parts are still available, but the practicality of renovating and/or extending the ride on top of what currently exists is minimal.

With the new coaster that is coming to the park, TNT may become upstaged and with the passage of a little more time management may feel it warranted to finally replace it. In 2004 it actually sounded like they were looking into the possibility of replacing it with a new mine coaster, but luckily they choose to replace Buzzsaw Falls instead.

I don't feel like I would miss it too badly if they went ahead and replaced it with a new mine coaster in the same spot. It holds a sentimental place for me, but it could be so much better, and now without the backwards facing cars it has lost a bit of what used to make it special.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 11:42:43 PM »
The park has made a lot of effort in keeping the ride up over the years, but it is still a bit rough and of course the layout is now overshadowed by the rest of SDC's coasters.

I agree that it is overshowded by the other rides. It is very rare (except on extremely crowded days) that TNT ever has a line long enough to call a line, maybe having to wait for 2 or 3 groups of people before riding, but for the most part, hardly anybody is there. Probably because everybody is over at PK and TGS making those lines last for EVER! It is still one of my favorites rides in the park :)

TNT is as old as I am! 1993!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 11:43:41 PM by tiffanylynnt »

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 08:54:08 AM »
I am not sure if the ride could be expanded, but I sure think the que-line could be shortened. Back in Thunderations hay day the zigzag que-line was a necessity, hoards of people would be standing in line waiting. But now, it takes more time to walk through the que-line than it does to actually ride the roller coaster.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 09:34:07 AM »
Agree with all of the thoughts thus far. For a mine train coaster, I've always thought it was a great little ride. The double helix is an amazing element, but in my opinion the only thing that really makes the ride for me. And while I totally appreciate the attention to detail in terms of theming, something has always bugged me about the replica locomotives leading the train. I just don't particularly like how they obstruct the view of the rider(s).

All that said, if it's ever fiscally feasible, I would also be in favor of seeing them replace TNT with a newer, longer mine type coaster. Just hope they would pay homage to its predecessor with the inclusion of a double helix into the circuit.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 11:10:53 AM »
Leave it alone, it's a great stepping stone for kids that have to build up to the bigger coasters like powder keg and then wildfire. Some folks get caught up in their experience e and overlook others.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 03:58:52 PM »
That's fair. It was just a hypothetical question. I don't think anyone expects this to happen anytime soon, if at all.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 04:57:41 PM »

This may be worked on quicker than you think.
Have you noticed the lift hill when you are climbing it?
Its real real crooked, as it half of it has moved over to one side, very noticibly.
They may have to work on this at some point, thats when they may make a change.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 05:20:04 PM »
It's been like  that for as long as I've been riding it. The arrow rides were built with different "techniques" than what are employed today. Namely, they built a lot of these sections by hand, using drawings. I suppose by the time TNT was built they could have had some kind of CAD drawing to look at, but probably not much.

They've already gone through and rebuilt a lot of the structure in recent years from what I can tell. Lots of fresh wood every year.

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 05:33:15 PM »
Back when it was first open , they had a model of the ride at the stand where they sell the show passes. (Maybe Zephon can go to the storage area and get a picture of it) But it showed that TNT was suppose to go into the underground tunnels at least three time after the duble helx. I would love to see the lift hill change to incorparate that element back into the ride. Does anyone notice over the years  how the mining camp has been taken over by the trees? I always love this theming element.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 07:11:07 PM »
Leave it alone, it's a great stepping stone for kids that have to build up to the bigger coasters like powder keg and then wildfire. Some folks get caught up in their experience e and overlook others.

I agree. TNT is actually my 2nd favorite ride in the park behind FITH. It's just enough coaster for me.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 08:45:52 PM »
Just thought I would re-post these pictures for those who missed it over on the refillable mugs thread. This mug was purchased opening day of ThuNderaTion.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 09:30:22 PM »

I agree. TNT is actually my 2nd favorite ride in the park behind FITH. It's just enough coaster for me.

And I agree, too! ;D

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 09:59:57 PM »

And I agree, too! ;D

We think the same way!! FITH is my favorite, and TNT is 2nd!