Author Topic: TNT - Could it ever be expanded?  (Read 37111 times)

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: TNT - Could it ever be expanded?
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2012, 08:34:34 PM »
Leave it alone, it's a great stepping stone for kids that have to build up to the bigger coasters like powder keg and then wildfire. Some folks get caught up in their experience e and overlook others.

I agree. TNT is actually my 2nd favorite ride in the park behind FITH. It's just enough coaster for me.

I also agree with that!  My wife and I still have big metal buttons they gave out for TNT's first year that read: Thunderation- What a Ride!
I'm Your Huckleberry

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2012, 10:00:03 PM »
On Runaway Ore Cart, he ride operator would always say "Keep hands a feet inside the car at all times or else the squirrels will grab onto your arm and you'll have somebody else to ride with." I used to get a kick out of that when I was little!
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2012, 11:59:18 AM »
Thunderation is a classic! I’m not sure if the ride needs to be lengthened necessarily, but a nifty overhaul on existing elements would be awesome. This of course would include shortening the queue line.

emmabugsmama

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2012, 09:33:07 AM »
I love TNT but it's funny how the older I get the rougher it gets.  My favorite coaster on park is still Powderkeg. 
[/quot e]  Me too, last week I was noticing how sore my neck was afterward.  Thank God they took out the backward option. My daughter always wanted to go backward.  Die hards!
I'm gettin' outta here, no matter what!

emmabugsmama

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2012, 09:39:33 AM »
Leave it alone, it's a great stepping stone for kids that have to build up to the bigger coasters like powder keg and then wildfire. Some folks get caught up in their experience e and overlook others.

I strongly agree, my great nephew has anxitey disorder and his mother thinks he's getting on a coaster, I suggested TNT or the little one in the Grand Exposition.  He's only five.                                                                                   
I'm gettin' outta here, no matter what!

WolfHunter

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2012, 10:33:21 AM »
I'm actually sad to see the backwards option go... that was the only way I used to ride it.  After that was taken out, I have yet to set foot on TNT
Known to be "Amazing" -Swoosh

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2012, 11:08:01 AM »
My fondest memory of TNT is that I had to bribe my sister to ride TNT with me when she was 12.
I wish riding backwards was still an option, but I still like TNT a lot.

Grapeslie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2012, 01:08:31 PM »
If TNT was ever removed I would be devastated! It was my first roller coaster and to this day I find it to be the most fun ride at the park! And I'm a coaster enthusiast! Flat out its just a flat out fun ride! I don't want them to touch it other than a refurbishment!
The Scariest Part Of The Ride Is The Lift Hill!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2012, 01:12:46 PM »
It will only "survive" as long as the lift hill is safe to continue to run.  We'll leave it at that.
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2012, 01:44:43 PM »
It will only "survive" as long as the lift hill is safe to continue to run.
Well Swoosh it does appear that they have made corrections and adjustments to it this year. It does not seem to have hearly the shift that it did in the past.  I am sure they will do what they can to keep it going for a while.  It is getting rough though. Maybe time for some new track.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2012, 01:51:04 PM »
But when I rode it last (I have not rode enought wooden coasters to know this but...) the lisft hill was feeling off. It would pull and stop pull stop pull stop. They were breif stops but still.....It was odd. Again could be normal and I could be nutso. But to me a lift hill should be fluid.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2012, 02:30:29 PM »
I think Swoosh is referring to some settling in the supports. I appeared in the last few years the lift hill wasn't what I would call sraight. About 80 percent of the way up the tracks seemed to bend.  ;D I know this is an issue on hillsides and with the rain events over the past couple years that the hillside may have slid a bit. An example of this is power or telephone poles at a base of a hill not being vertical but slanted some after a few years due to the pressure of the soil pushing it.

Thunderation is an Arrow. Arrow is gone the their coasters are leaving us one by one. That said, it'll be difficult to due major rehab to the ride when it comes to tracking and supports. It would pokey be easier to have another company replace it. The park could keep the queue and prominate features like it not staring with a lifthill and the coil into the tunnel but Silver Dollar City without a runaway mine coaster is unthinkable. The end is the ride's weakness.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2012, 02:43:19 PM »
But when I rode it last (I have not rode enought wooden coasters to know this but...) the lisft hill was feeling off. It would pull and stop pull stop pull stop. They were breif stops but still.....It was odd. Again could be normal and I could be nutso. But to me a lift hill should be fluid.

It's been like that for as long as I can remember. A lot of the older coasters feel like that, something in the way the train engages with the lift gets a little resonance going.

Most of the older Arrow coasters were constructed piecemeal with the welding and shaping of the tubular rails being done on-site rather than having track sections manufactured off-site and put together like what is done now. This is why there is so much bouncing around even in relatively smooth areas of the ride.

As much as I hate to see the classics messed with, it's getting to the point where it wouldn't be so bad if they got someone else to come in and rebuilt TNT. It's still pretty rough in some seats, and people are growing to expect rides to be perfectly smooth these days. I would hope they would keep the layout of the first half of the ride, then build outward from there. Maybe Zierer could do it and they could add a drop-track in a tunnel or something.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2012, 03:12:41 PM »
But when I rode it last (I have not rode enought wooden coasters to know this but...) the lisft hill was feeling off. It would pull and stop pull stop pull stop. They were breif stops but still.....It was odd. Again could be normal and I could be nutso. Bujt to me a lift hill should be fluid.

It's been like that for as long as I can remember. A lot of the older coasters feel like that, something in the way the train engages with the lift gets a little resonance going.

Most of the older Arrow coasters were constructed piecemeal with the welding and shaping of the tubular rails being done on-site rather than having track sections manufactured off-site and put together like what is done now. This is why there is so much bouncing around even in relatively smooth areas of the ride.

As much as I hate to see the classics messed with, it's getting to the point where it wouldn't be so bad if they got someone else to come in and rebuilt TNT. It's still pretty rough in some seats, and people are growing to expect rides to be perfectly smooth these days. I would hope they would keep the layout of the first half of the ride, then build outward from there. Maybe Zierer could do it and they could add a drop-track in a tunnel or something.

No way ;D!

I've decided that element needs to be in a revamped FITH. You are crossing the burning bridge and you stop because a beam just fell across the tracks and boom you drop straight down and from there you go through the finally much like is is today but on less jerky track.

Grapeslie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2012, 03:13:31 PM »
Now that's not a bad Idea Shave! I wouldn't mind that
I just don't want it to lose its feel. Its brilliant!
The Scariest Part Of The Ride Is The Lift Hill!