Author Topic: Not much activity, so let's stir something up: a Top Ten  (Read 10329 times)

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Not much activity, so let's stir something up: a Top Ten
« on: January 25, 2012, 09:35:17 AM »
I have noticed a drop off of activity since SDC closed for the season, which is perfectly understandable.  We're all in the doldrums.  But the forum here is supposed to help us get through it, and Top Tens are popular, so let's do a Top Ten Ways to While Away the Time till Opening Day!

10:  Visit freshly paved parking lots on warm days to inbibe the smell.

9:  Eat at a local Cracker Barrel.

8:  Listen to Bluegrass tapes/CDs.

7:  Wear Trading Pins to work.

6:  Wear SDC sweatshirts out to play.

5:  Grow a beard (gentlemen only, please!) and endlessly recite Ralphie Bolin’s lines from the hold up.

4:  Take a clothed shower while pretending to aim a water cannon at a passing river raft.

3:  Look through all the picture albums from past visits.

2:  Watch all the SDC vids on YouTube.  Again.

And the Number 1 Way to While Away the Time till Opening Day:
Spend time on this Forum rereading favorite threads and chatting with other passionate/over-doing-it SDC Fans!

Now, you add some!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 09:37:27 AM by palallin »

Twinsmom98

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Re: Not much activity, so let's stir something up: a Top Ten
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 09:45:21 AM »
Watching the Beverly Hillbillies tape filmed at SDC

Watching home videos from SDC trips in the past

Webcams of Branson .... wishing I was there

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 12:13:06 PM »
Go to Magic Kingdom and spend all day riding the paddlewheel boat and running around Tom Sawyer Island. (seriously, we did the boat and the island on the same day, and it was the closest to being at SDC that I'd been since the last time I was actually at SDC)

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 12:49:07 PM »
If you live close enough, road trip to springfield eat at Lamberts and visit Bass Pro. While not Branson-esq, its always a must do for my fam on the way home.

Play homemade version of SDC Monopoly.

Look at the pathfinder and plan the most efficient path that stops at all of your must do stops.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 01:01:36 PM »
I LOVE TOP TEN LISTS!!

So here's mine:

1) My friend said he wanted to see old piano recitals, so I grabbed the wrong tape on purpose (it was of SDC, of course!)

2) "Randomly" coming across the schedule I downloaded on my phone and asking Mom when we plan on going, at least 4 times a day.

3) Staring at my trading pin collection that is sitting on top of my TV stand.

4) Reading these forums every chance I get.

5) Watch RFDTV whenever I can get the TV to myself.

6) ^^Same with GAC and CMT for the music videos and make my own set list for GAC Nights in Echo Hollow.

7) Wearing cowboy boots.

8. Watching westerns.

9) Writing all my English papers/journals on different things about SDC. I don't think anybody in class will catch on how all of my topics are connected, except my best friend who listens to me talk about those things all the time. EX: Baldknobbers, Herschends, Marvel Cave, etc.

10) Rambling constantly so everybody within hearing distance know how much I need to go back before I explode, and it didn't help being in Springfield last weekend and seeing a bunch of SDC stuff everywhere I went.
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 01:15:21 PM »
2:  Watch all the SDC vids on YouTube.  Again.

This. As well as looking through photos on Flickr.
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 02:33:59 PM »
I live near a train and just now it hit its brakes and came to a screechin stop. I told my husband those dang bowlin brothers are up to no good!!  :D

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 04:50:55 PM »
Open potato sack....insert head.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 05:43:51 PM »
Hurting for the opening day? I can't do too much about that, but if you want to take a fond look back at the past at SDC, check out the thread titled "Whats Happening FLASHBACK 1983" under the park history heading on forums.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 08:35:28 PM »
I listen to the bluegrass channel on DIRECTV 15 minutes before i go to work.

Call my brother & make fake plans for our 1st trip back. Sometimes we pretend that we have never been to SDC. Heck, we're already talking about going on opening day weekend.

Watch my YouTube, or any other videos of SDC.

Theres a stretch of hi-way on the way to my work that reminds me of heading to SDC.

Some songs on the radio remind me of old SDC commercials.

I also think of past memories....
Live life like it's the last day!

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 11:50:23 PM »
Well, you all are welcome to your dreams of getting back to the City.  Your creativity is always entertaining. 

On the other hand, my daughter and her fiance came out to the park today to have a look at the Wilderness Church, considering it as a location for their upcoming wedding.  As we drove up to it, yes, right up to it in her car, my daughter marveled, and I agree, at how peaceful the park was without the crowds. 

Imagine, if you will, what it would be like to wander it's streets without the crowd hubbub, without the music playing in the background, without the whistle of the train, without the noise from the rides...all you hear are the sounds of nature...wind in the trees, sometimes birds on the limb, the occasional squirrel foraging for an acorn he buried last fall.  That's the world of SDC that I enjoy.  Of course, the peace is interrupted occasionally by the sounds of winter maintenance, but nevertheless, it's a wonderful time of the year.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 07:24:25 AM »
My hubby and I talked about how once we step off the tram and make it to the turnstyles there is this magic curtain you pass and washes stress and worry and negitivity away. You walk on air the whole time you are there. Its nice.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 08:19:06 AM »
I enjoyed Zephon's comments. I, too, remember the quiet times on park from my days long ago as an employee. Before rope drop, after park closure, night time when there were but a few work lights on the streets, off season walking on park to go pick up or return costumes, the rehearsal days when few were on park, clean up days when we would scrub, wash and shine everything for the coming year, and on park after the season ended to take care of the closure time tasks. I also drove my dad's old pick up across Main Street, down Hill Street, over to the train depot, taking care of end of the year jobs. Putting props in the bed of the truck, crisp air, the windows rolled down, chirping birds, squirrels and chipmunks scrambling out of my way. I wish that all my friends here at SDC Fans could experience the park when it is quiet like that. It's very nice. However, we all also enjoy those times when the park is open, running full throttle, as there is much excitement in the air, and happy families and kids going here and there, enjoying a day off or a vacation. creating their own memories worth repeating.  :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 08:22:57 AM »
That sounds like a tag you would find on a candle or shirt. Very nicely written J.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 08:35:21 AM »
OK, Zephon and Junior:  now you've done it!  Those images are wonderful!

I wonder if SDC would be willing to arrange off-season tours for just a very few passionate/over-doing it Fans?

Nah, I'm sure not.  But I'd pay for it!