Author Topic: Run-Away-Ore-Cart Memories  (Read 7194 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Run-Away-Ore-Cart Memories
« on: May 19, 2008, 05:19:35 PM »
I'm sure everyone here remembers the Run-Away-Ore-Carts fondly. This little Molina and Sons standard kiddie model sat in the Landing for 15 years before being taken out due to roughness and scarcity of new parts. Even in it's last days, a torrent of kids could be seen marathoning it every single day.

But did the ore carts have more history than they appeared to? For only lasting 15 years, I would guess that the park might have bought it used from somewhere else. Also, what were the real terms of its departure? I've heard the park say that it was just too old and was due to be replaced by the Grand Expo Coaster, while others have said that it needed to be taken out to construct a final attempt at bracing the tree house. Is there any closure on that?

Oh yeah, does anyone know what happened to it? I've been assuming that it was scrapped, but you never really know - if they had tried to auction it off I sure would have bet on it, but I didn't hear about it if that happened.

sdcforever

Re: Run-Away-Ore-Cart Memories
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 02:01:39 PM »
Well, I don't know much about what happened to the Runaway Ore Carts.  I did a brief internet search and couldn't find anything either.  I loved that ride and was sad to see it go.  I have gone straight to the source and asked Silver Dollar City about it (how it was acquired, why it was removed, and what happened to it after its removal).  Hopefully I'll get some straightforward answers.  I'll keep everyone updated.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 09:50:10 PM »
It was removed because they needed to place an anchor for the tree house in that location -- the treehouse had become structurally unsound and they had to something immediately to fix that problem. 

Also with the plans to re-imagineer that area for a different purpose in the near future it was taken out... it has since been replaced with the GE Coaster. 
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 10:56:59 AM »
Good news!  I got information on the history of the ride and what happened to it from Ed with Rides and Attractions at SDC!  ;D

The ride was bought used in 1981 in Italy (along with several other rides).  When it was removed it was dismantled and the scraps were sold.  Here's the interesting part.  It was not removed to further anchor the treehouse.  It was removed because it needed major renovation to meet SDC's safety standards.  Also, with the addition of the Grand Exposition coaster they felt that removing the ride would not detract from the ride experience at the park.

There it is, straight from the source.  I wonder what other rides were bought used in 1981 in Italy?  Anyone have any ideas?  Perhaps the Gandy Dancer?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 02:03:03 PM by sdcforever »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 12:15:32 PM »
I'm willing to bet the Balloon Chase
SWOOSH

DocSpeleo

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 11:16:37 AM »
Great Job Digging up that info and proving Swoosh to be wrong. . lol Made me laugh a little when I read the post and reply I'm not sure why...
So about the Gandy Dancer.  I've seen the tracks and such at the City but does anyone have any photos of it in operation?

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 12:51:03 PM »
http://www.putfile.com/pic/7436570
http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=145.0

There is a couple pictures. I found them both on these forums actually. I know there is more out there, I'll look for more later.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 12:53:19 PM by Coaster »
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcforever

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 09:23:12 AM »
I think the Gandy Dancer might be one of the rides bought used in 1981 in Italy because it looks similar to the Runaway Ore Carts.  Plus they were in operation at approximately the same time.  I also think the Balloon Chase is a good candidate.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 01:52:37 PM »
I believe all of those rides, plus the carousel and the ferris wheel were brought in at the same time.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 03:18:37 PM »
The carousel was built on site and all the animals were carved at SDC in the woodcarvers shop.
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 02:23:51 PM »
The carousel was built on site and all the animals were carved at SDC in the woodcarvers shop.

Yes, but just to clarify, was it put into operation at the same time as the others, or was it earlier?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 03:31:44 PM »
It was first put in the what was built as the Wagon Works Barn, which then became the Carousel Barn, but only for one season if I recall. It then went outside to the Landing.
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

MattPaasch

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 04:37:32 PM »
Back in April, I visited SDC and found this at the entrance:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23797713@N04/2588511118

Could it be one of the carts from the old Gandy Dancer??????

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 04:52:59 PM »
Wow! Great observation MattPaasch! That could've been sitting there forever and no one just ever noticed it. Well by looking at your avatar picture and the picture you showed us, it does look a lot like the Gandy Dancer just with a new paint job. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it is the Gandy Dancer just because of the way SDC likes to show off some of their history like the way they put a Buzz Saw Falls boat on top of the Powderkeg queue building.

Good eyes!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 04:54:08 PM by Coaster »
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 07:30:37 PM »
Has to be, what else could it be? Just traditional SDC recycling. Very neat.