Author Topic: Do you go to Branson in the winter? What do you do for fun?  (Read 6407 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Do you go to Branson in the winter? What do you do for fun?
« on: January 11, 2012, 07:51:54 AM »
With SDC closed in winter I venture to Branson to shop and such for something to do.
  Do you guys go to Branson during the winter months?  What do you do for fun?

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
Re: Do you go to Branson in the winter? What do you do for fun?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 09:43:55 AM »
We usually stay at grand country at use the indoor water park, mini golf and arcade. Also do some shopping, hit the old car museum and veterans memorial and drive up and down 76 with no traffic. Its great!
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

river rat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 10:18:40 AM »
We have a condo in Branson, we go to the Landing, tanger outlet, see a movie at the IMAX, or Branson Meadows, grab some dinner at Shogun, Cantina Laredo, or Famous Dave's.  We cruise up to Springfield and go to Pfi or Bass pro. Play mini golf at Grand Country, my wife is a C of O alum so we go to a few basketball games.

I like to go to books a million and look at books and magazines if I get bored. And if it's nice I play some golf.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 11:44:44 AM »
My husband and I talked about this last night. I told him Branson is closed in the winter silly. He almost believed me. I told him Branson is sunshine and laughter. Not snow and inside stuff. Its outdoors and the smell of excitement.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 12:10:12 PM »
My sister has a winterguard competition in Springfield this coming Saturday, and I'm kinda the assistant coach, but not really, I don't know its complicated, but I'm committed to showing up to some practices and all of the competitions. Anyway... I told them I was gonna hitchhike to Branson, but there is nothing to do because I don't wanna go shopping the whole time, minigolf is boring by myself, and I always go broke at arcades, because I ALWAYS need ONE more shot at the game I can't beat, and it turns into another 15 tries, and I still don't win lol

But I agree with Missin, all the fun stuff in Branson is usually seasonal, like SDC, and fishing!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 12:12:05 PM by tiffanylynnt »
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 04:56:25 PM »
We have always wanted to run down there in the winter but have never been able to make it.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 05:45:05 PM »
We go down in late january and feb usually,  this year our 1st trip is 2-11, for the new show at the RFD theatre.  we will go see the shows at grand country.
I am hoping that some of the other shows will fire up since that is the weekend before valentines day,. 

Still waiting for 2012 schedules for other shows.

AND then on March 15th.. ;)..  what day is that trams?????

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 06:12:47 PM »
I was there once in late January to check out the condo that I later bought.  It was fun!  Nearly froze to death at the hotel we stayed at bc. the heat in our room was turned on before we got there, and the rooms on each side had no heat!  Brrrrrrr!  Took until the next morning to get warm.  But, it really was a good time.  Saw the ice sculptures at the Titanic, took photos of historic buildings w/o crowds in the pics, walked the landing a few times (and always got a window seat!), hit up the bookstore, and a movie.  Oh, and saw a few local bands in some pubs, and recognized some faces in the bands that were in the big shows during the normal tourist season.  Would be happy to do it again if I could find a three day weekend.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 06:31:53 PM »
We usually go at least once in January or February.  Mainly go to shop and out to eat and to just get away.  Have played indoor mini golf at Grand Country.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 07:39:31 PM »
Iwill be there tomorrow night and Saturday. I looked at the IMAX but there is not much playing.  Maybe we will eat out and hit the malls in the morning Saturday.  There is a great buffet lunch at Bass Pro upstairs in Hemmingways that can be nice on a cold day.
I will report back with my winter findings.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 10:30:37 PM »
I'm not sure that buffet is open at Bass Pro.  There is a lot of construction going on.  On our last trip in the Fall, we had to park in back and there is a new Bass Pro restaurant that looks like it was just built.  We were in a hurry and on a mission, so I didn't really check it out all that closely.  If you find out, let us know!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 11:26:05 AM »
Have a good trip MH,,  let us know what u find out, we are going down the weekend of 2-11 for shows on sat., but nothing to do on sunday...maybe springfield??

Saaam!

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • Celebration City-Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 07:38:57 PM »
My husband and I talked about this last night. I told him Branson is closed in the winter silly. He almost believed me. I told him Branson is sunshine and laughter. Not snow and inside stuff. Its outdoors and the smell of excitement.

I strongly agree, MTGT. When I think of Branson I think of the hot, humid air. Cruising down the street on W 76 Country Boulevard, smelling steamy asphalt while glancing at tourist trap signs, occasionally passing by White Water and The Tracks Lumberjack.

Woo, how I miss this.
| Formally "Thunderbolter" |

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 08:23:47 PM »
Have a good trip MH,,  let us know what u find out, we are going down the weekend of 2-11 for shows on sat., but nothing to do on sunday...maybe springfield??
I did make my trip and enjoyed a little shopping in Branson.  I also did a little exploring finding a few more short cuts that will prove usefull in the summer.  I ended up in Springfield at BassPro.  They have a great buffet lunch up in Hemingway's for 8.95.  It was a nice change of pace and I recommend it to all the SDC fans.  The store is a nice disctraction for all us outdoor lovers.  Especially is the cold days of winter.
You just cant beat a all you can eat buffet with a well seasoned standing beef roast, popcorn shrimp and a specially tasty bread pudding with rum sauce.   
Did I mention all you can eat?.....

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 09:01:39 PM »
we went down last weekend also caught a couple of show on sat, 1 sunday nite.. 

I did however do quite a bit of riding around, with no traffic I could look at buildings, parking lots.  located some short cuts on the south side of 76.  Actually was very enjopyable with NO traffic..

My next trip is on the 24/25th of march... COME on spring break!! and grand opening!!