Author Topic: Branson Declining?  (Read 3530 times)

rosenc1c

• View Profile
Branson Declining?
« on: May 18, 2008, 05:25:38 PM »
I've been going to Branson for 30+ years, and I can't help but notice that the city seems to have peaked in the 80's/90's and seems to me to be on the decline.  Does anyone else get this feeling? 

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Branson Declining?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 05:36:09 PM »
It's certainly not declining in terms of visitors, at least to my knowledge. It just looks bad right now because, as with the rest of the country, Branson is reeling from years upon years of reckless developement based around catering to automobiles. Now that people don't want to drive, you've got to have a pretty damn good attraction to bring them in. All those strip-malls, side-shows, and small-time attractions that have sprouted up like weeds all around Branson don't stand a chance in todays market.

BelmontATO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 09:27:58 AM »
I disagree. With the Landings opening up, and the new Target and all the building out that way, I think the city is just going through a bit of an identity crisis. SDC is doing some major construction, and it sounds like more is to come. This is a time of growth, and once the recession is over, the town will be back bigger and better than ever.

DocSpeleo

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 03:21:20 PM »
I don't think a decline is happening I think there is just so much to do that people are all spread out now in different venues.  I do think the city should cap the amount of attractions, perhaps being able to bring in some bigger names and not having so many small half full arenas.  I don't think that the city looked much to the future.  Traffic still is and since I've been visiting has always been terrible; a nice raised monorail system would be nice.  That was talked about and tabled very quickly in the mid-90's. 
I don't know every town has their ups-n-downs and with the economy the way it is I'm sure this is a down few years......

On the other hand - Branson schools are really looking up.  They have some of the nicest facilities around.  But with 13 classes each of grades K-6 there are a lot of kids there.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 03:22:26 PM by DocSpeleo »