Author Topic: Am I the only one who loved the 50s show in Echo Hollow and looks forward. . .  (Read 3174 times)

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
Hi,

I don't post often, but I am an avid lurker.  I love Silver Dollar City, and I've been going my whole life.   I loved the 50s show in Echo Hollow.  I really liked how they incorporated a song from Hairspray into the show.  I love Dickens at Christmastime, and I like the saloon show.  I really like the show with more of a story instead of just watching a band or a group of performers do unrelated songs.  I just wanted to speak up for those who like shows with a little bit of Broadway flair. . .

Also, I love thrill rides.  Yes, I enjoy the atmosphere and theme of SDC, but I like to get the blood flowing, too!  We went to Dollywood last summer, and we had a good time on the Mystery Mine (although I would say that Wildfire and PowderKeg are more "thrilling;"  Mystery Mine is more of a total experience).  I would love to see something like that at SDC.  I do like my rides to be smooth, and I've yet to meet a smooth woodie.  The woodie at Dollywood is NOT smooth. 

I just wanted to toss my two cents in.  I also hope that CC keeps the 50s theme.  I just wish it was open until midnight so we have something to do at night.  We seldom see a Branson show for the reasons stated above, and after 10:00, there's little to do anyway for night owls.

sdcforever

I'm like you, Stacey.  I love the whole SDC experience.  The crafts, shows, and the rides.  My favorite show is the Dickens Christmas show.  It never gets old.  I also wish CC was open later.  But what can you do?  There's just not much nightlife in Branson.

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
I haven't run across very many smooth wooden rollercoasters either, but I thought "Ozark Wildcat" was incredibly smooth for a woodie.  I took my little nephew on the Screaming Eagle several years ago and actually felt sorry for him it was so rough.  He had a blast but only because I held my arms around him to cushion him from the blows.  I apologized to him as I didn't remember it being that rough, and made it up to him by taking him on "The Boss"....poor kid.  :o

We ride the "Ozark Wildcat" every chance we get and think it is the perfect wooden rollercoater.  Have you tried it yet?

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
I've been on the Ozark Wildcat, and I will say, it's probably the smoothest one I've tried, and I ride it at least once per visit.   I usually get a horrible headache after riding a woodie, but I usually try each one I come across once (I can't resist.) I guess that's why I just can't get too excited about a woodie at SDC.  I think I like the Wildcat because it's rather small compared to the Timber Wolf, Texas Giant, and the Dollywood's Thunderhead.  Maybe those are just too big for me...

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Indeed, most wooden coasters are built to be a more rough, out of control ride - some of us like it that way. Unfortunately much of the general public expects a crystal smooth, overly engineered ride - basically a train ride with drops. GCII has done a pretty good job bridging the gap with rides like Oz Cat, but don't expect anything larger than that to be crystal smooth - it's just not the type of ride that's really meant to be.

That's one of the banes of roller coaster developement: how do you engineer a ride that booth feels completely out of control and thrilling yet meets the expectations of a million different people of different shapes and sizes? Like I said in another post, your ride on any given roller coaster is determined by so many factors including not only aspects of the ride itself like wet track, support upkeep, wheel grips, and such, but also aspects of the rider like size, shape, frailness, and opinions on what is or isn't rough.

Sometimes you just have to understand that roller coasters are more or less what they have always been - out of control train rides. You can't expect them to be completely tame.