Author Topic: Extreme Cheapskates  (Read 5104 times)

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Extreme Cheapskates
« on: December 29, 2011, 02:28:44 PM »
TLC had a show called Extreme Cheapskates on last night.  These people are a little...frugal for me.  lol!  One guy was from Branson and barters for everything.  He decided to help a friend and his fiancee have an engagement party for free.  The friend's name is Josh and he is part of the 12 Irish tenors.  He traded a private performance of an Aria and 2 tickets to a 12 tenors show for a party space, cake, and other sweets for the party!  The other guy refuses to pay for a haircut.  So he walked into a random salon and offered to take out trash and clean the salon for a free haircut.  At least he isn't the woman from KC.  She refuses to buy toilet paper so they just cut up cloth to use as toilet paper.  They wash it and use it again. :o  She also bargain shops for food.  I do that too, but I refuse to use items that are 3 years past expiration!

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Extreme Cheapskates
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 10:36:12 AM »
WOW thats funny wish i could have seen that.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 10:58:50 AM »
Haha! I watched that! I was gonna post something on here about it, but I was half asleep and my laptop was almost dead. But I was sitting there watching that show, and I'm thinking, "Hmm, that's not a bad idea!" for some of the stuff, like taking a week where I don't spend anything. I don't know how much money I could save if I made my own sweet tea for a week than getting it from McDonald's at least 3 times a day! I already search vending machines and the Walmart parking lot for loose change, like that one guy was digging around the pay phone. I like to do my dad's laundry cuz he always leaves money in his pockets, and the rule in this house is, if you find money in the laundry, you can keep it unless the person whose pocket you found it in can tell you exactly how much it was, then they get their money back, and Dad can never remember how much money he had ;D    I did think the reusable toilet paper was really gross. What about the smell? And the germs that float around in the air? No thank you! When I was growing up, my grandma had us look in the grass for edible things, but she lived in the middle of nowhere, so it was probably a little safer than going to the park where there are dogs and little kids. I'm sure if you wash it really good, its fine, but finding it in a secluded field is probably a better place to go than a public park.
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 11:06:05 AM »
you know you are a real cheapskate if when your house gets TP'd you collect the toilet paper for later use!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Twinsmom98

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 03:01:28 PM »
I think the guy who bought the 2 goat heads for a special meal with wife - would have to find him somewhere else to live.  I can thrifty but that is too much.  Quite frank, for a present you buy animal crackers.  Really????

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 05:39:57 PM »
Seriously??? Two goat heads?  I would send him out to locate the rest of the goat and lock the door behind him.  I have a friend who wants to go antiquing every time she's in town.  When she's ready to make a deal, we (incl. my dh and hers)  all head to the car - it's embarrassing to be around her.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 11:21:14 PM »
My grandma gets all her grandkids and other family member's Christmas and bday gifts at yard sales. She refuses to go to the mall, or even Walmart lol

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 08:41:10 AM »
I get white elephant gifts/dirty santa gifts at yard sales. I found a book about Branson at a yard sale for a dollar and snapped it up!!!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Twinsmom98

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 12:05:36 PM »
Hey, I even gone to yard sales in Branson.... you would be load up on sweatshirts and t shirts from entertainers shows that were in excellent condition.  There was a subdivision on road that started with Bee that would have a neighborhood yard sale every April.  I would buy for myself only.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 12:15:01 PM »
I love yardsales! Except in the town I live in. Way too many druggies and drunks, I don't know if I can trust some of the stuff they put in the sales. I know it sounds bad, but sadly, it's true.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 06:08:05 PM »
I want to go to yard sales where rube and junior go.!!  they have some sweet spots to shop.. ;)

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 06:18:12 PM »
Tiff, you never know!  She might find a SDC relic for you at a yard sale.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 06:03:13 PM »
Tiff, you never know!  She might find a SDC relic for you at a yard sale.

I doubt it. She frowns on everything that I consider to be fun. The only thing she gets me that I actually enjoy is when she finds yarn and crochet hooks. I've been crocheting for a while and I've never had to buy my own hooks. The ones I have, my grandma found at yardsales, except the one I learned with my mom already had.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 07:00:35 PM »
When it comes to yard sales, I guess my wife and I are a bit picky. We are lucky to live in NW Arkansas, where the economic crash was felt, but not like in other areas. We go to the sales in middle class and upper class neighborhoods...there are several in the Bentonville area, home to the home office of Wal Mart and all the Wal Mart vendor companies. Plenty of money in those neighborhoods, and in some of the surrounding towns, so they sell off good stuff at relatively cheap prices. My wife and I got a $200 chair (new price) for $50, and it was less than a year old and in excellent condition. Of course, I really look hard for the SDC and Branson related material, and as I posted here, I found a half dozen refillable mugs in great shape and bought them all for fifty cents to a buck each. Gotta brag on my wife, she found a day bed in great shape and bought it with a mattress for $20. She also found a nice queen anne chair for $20 in good, clean shape. She has a good eye for stuff like that.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"