Author Topic: Less Thrill Rides  (Read 3595 times)

rosenc1c

• View Profile
Less Thrill Rides
« on: May 15, 2008, 09:46:44 AM »
I've been going to SDC for 30+ years.  I've been to quite a few theme parks around the country, and SDC is unique in it's natural beauty and the way it just blends into the surounding landscape.  I've always thought that if it weren't for the new coasters, you could fly over the park and might not even realize there was a theme park below.

My family rides the occasional coaster, but we really like the smaller more interactive attractions.  I think SDC has gotten away from these types of attractions.  I know there are a lot of coaster lovers, but I think there are far more people who don't really care about coasters as much.  Over the years I've been to SDC with 30 to 40 different people (Family & Friends) and probably only about 10 have ever ridden a coaster, the rest don't care about them. My point is that MOST people are not coaster riders.  So why is all of the money spent to add coasters when there are so many existing attractions that need to be updated (Flooded mine, Grandpa's mansion, tree house, Fire in the Hole, etc..)?  Is it simply because the "New" attraction generates the buzz they need to get people back to the park? 

I liked the old Diving Bell and attractions that are interactive and/or tell stories.  Disney does these small attractions better than anyone (Peter pan, Buzz Lightyear, 3D Movies, etc..), and I wish SDC would go in this direction instead of trying to become another Six Flags. 

sdcforever

Re: Less Thrill Rides
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 10:09:13 AM »
I think SDC has been trying to attract both younger and older people.  They don't want to limit themselves to a single audience (more people equals more revenue generated), and in order to attract younger people they need to add thrill rides.  For example, Coaster Con is visiting SDC and Celebration City next June (2009) for a week; that is why they're (most likely) adding a new roller coaster in the offseason.  That week in June will generate a ton of revenue for them.  I believe they will never completely become an amusement park; they will always be more of an 1880s theme park; there will always be demonstrating craftsmen and such.  And this fall they're opening the new Culinary & Craft School, which is certainly not a thrill ride.  They will always stay true to their roots, they just want to attract as large of an audience as possible.

This past offseason, the Flooded Mine got a face lift and a few changes.  Grandfather's Mansion also got a litte attention.  The Tree House is on the slate for a revamping in the next year or so (so I hear), and Fire In the Hole is almost always getting attention in the offseason (it seems like each year something's different about it).

In short, I don't think SDC will ever become another Six Flags (I really don't think they want to either).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 03:34:21 PM by sdcforever »

BelmontATO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 11:31:38 AM »
I agree with rosenc1c. Maybe it is just because I am getting older, but what I like most about SDC is that it is actually relaxing to go to the park, unlike most amusement parks. I like rides as much as the next guy, but I can't deny that the park seems to be going solely for the thrill seekers lately, and that makes me very nervous.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 06:38:27 PM »
I agree more with sdcforever. SDC will be adding a new coaster this offseason for more revenue, more visitors, another enjoyable experience at the park, and the 2009 CoasterCon convention. After that, I think that SDC will return more to its roots and they will update the treehouse and hopefully Grandfather's Mansion.

I enjoy all of the thrill rides an awful lot but my family went to SDC long before they became more of a theme park also. I enjoy the heritage of the park but I also enjoy the rides. You have to please both crowds and I think SDC has been doing a good job of that.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcforever

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 09:38:01 AM »
I do hope that the new area they're planning in the next two to three years will focus more on the crafts, shops, and shows.  If they have a ride I hope it's more relaxing, like the Flooded Mine or the old Jim Owens Float Trip ride.

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 04:48:57 PM »
The great thing about SDC and probably what I respect them the most for is that they always keep with the theme of the 1800's. Never will they have a ride that is so obtrusive that it takes the SDC feeling away from you while your riding. My gosh, even when you are waiting in line, they have created such an atmosphere all around. As long as the keep Fire in the Hole and Thunderation, I'm good.

sdcforever

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 09:35:01 AM »
^I think they will always have a nice balance of thrill and non-thrill rides.  And considering the way they change FITH a little every year, and the TLC they've given TNT the last couple of years I don't think they have any plans to get rid of either of them any time soon.