Author Topic: Favorite Christmas Movie?  (Read 4983 times)

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
Favorite Christmas Movie?
« on: December 07, 2011, 11:34:01 AM »
Hi Everyone,
As we approach this special season, many of us watch our favorite Christmas movies. Rather it be watching it on TV, DVD, or even an old VHS tape, these movies warm our hearts, make us laugh, and put us in that Christmas spirit we all long to have. So what are some of your favorite Christmas movies?

Mine? National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation; staring Chevy Chase
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 11:34:50 AM by DollarCityBoy »
You have a great past just ahead of you.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
Re: Favorite Christmas Movie?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 12:23:51 PM »
One of my favorite movies of all time, no matter what time of year, is It's A Wonderful Life. It's considered a Christmas movie, so I guess that's my favorite Christmas movie. My grandma bought me the whole Bedford Falls Christmas village set and every year she gives me a piece of it for Christmas.

I like all the older Christmas movies, not the dumb ones that are on TV now, like Hallmark channel. They are all about falling in love and the only Christmas about it is it snows occasionally during different scenes in the movies and Christmas trees sitting everywhere. There is no Christmas spirit about any of them.

I like A Year Without a Santa Claus, the claymation Rudolph, Frosty the Snowman (1969) all the little kid Christmas movies. I really like The Santa Clause! Christmas Vacation is really good too! I love all the Vacation movies! I also find myself watching The Polar Express over and over again. I love anything that has to do with A Christmas Carol, especially the 1984 George C. Scott version.

And how can you forget A Christmas Story! "I triple-dog dare you!"  :D
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 02:46:53 PM »
A Christmas Story! DUH! My son has a Red Rider BB Gun and everytime we go out to shoot it, I always tell him Youll shoot your eye out kid! lol he does not get it yet but that is ooookay!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 04:09:58 PM »
Here are my favs...no particular order: A Christmas Story, Wonderful Life, Christmas Carol, Miracle on 34th St, then the cartoons/animation shows: Charlie Brown Christmas, Rudolph, Frosty, Santa Claus is coming to town. Christmas just ain't Christmas without seeing these shows. Funny thing is, I have many on DVD, but when the shows come on TV, I stop flipping channels and watch them again!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 06:16:39 PM »
My family likes to watch the Home Alones, The Santa Clauses, I'll Be Home For Christmas, and the Charlie Brown Christmas movies. Of course we like the oldies too. The Grinch is also very good. We also really like the National Lampoon Christmas Vacation movie as well. This isn't an exhaustive list but we certainly do love our Christmas movies.
Colorado SDC Fan

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 06:59:07 PM »
How about Planes, Trains, & Automobiles.  Thats a good one in the spirit.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 07:59:24 PM »
I have watch It's a Wonderful Life every year, and quote it all year long (I had not seen it until I was 19yrs old! I also must watch White Christmas which I did not see until I was 18 yrs old, and A Christmas Story is also on the must watch at least one time during the 24 hr marathon on TBS.

I have never seen any Charlie Brown holiday specials.

Destination SDC

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
There are so many Wonderful Christmas movies out there.  But my personal favorite is "It's a Wonderful Life" ,  followed by Miracle on 34th Street, both the origianl and the remake.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 05:56:14 AM »
I like all the oldies, but Polar Express is my new favorite.
Live life like it's the last day!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 11:41:24 AM »
I didn't read the Polar Express until I was nearly 25, so I really didn't think the movie was that great. Animation was good, but not a huge fan of the storyline.

I have never seen Miracle, nor have I seen Bad Santa, or Fred Claus...

It is not that my childhood was without Christmas...we just listened to a lot of Christmas music, and watched The Grinch animated movie, National Lampoon's Christmas.

river rat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 09:49:11 AM »
A Christmas story, Charlie Brown Christmas, Elf, a Christmas Carol, and the Christmas Card.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 11:38:29 AM »
A few years back my buddy and I went to a live version of the Mystery Science Theater 3000 (Cinematic Titanic) during the Holiday season. They held the show on the floor of an arena, and sat in front of the screen much like the characters in the movies to parody the films watched.

We viewed "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, and it was hilarious.
Here is a trailer/ commercial for it. The movie itself was a bad "B" movie, but I have a copy and have watched it again, not nearly as humorous...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44BV-5BTry0

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 03:43:36 PM »
Santa vs. Martians...truly one of the WORST films in history. I remember this being released in the mid to late 60s, and my dad taking me to the theater at Northwest Plaza in St. Louis to see it. It was a 2pm show, and it was packed with kids and parents. The show was so bad, my dad got me and my brother out of there after about 45 minutes. The kids in the theater were not watching the movie at all, just talking, fighting, crying, moaning for mom and dad to take them to the concession for popcorn, drinks...even begging to be taken to the rest room, JUST TO GET OUT OF WATCHING THE FILM. Not a golden moment for me at the movies, just a lame, silly, childhood memory! UGH!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 04:16:06 PM »
It was the film debut of a young Pia Zadora! Yes very bad indeed, if you have not seent eh MST3K series, look it up, they take terribly awful movies, and make them hilarious.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 11:24:21 PM »
2 other "goodies" are on the same Santa Clause Classics DVD I have...the afore mentioned Martians...as well as Joe Santa Claus (have not watched it is from 1951, and is 26 min long), as well as Santa Claus (this one I have not yet watched...but it is billed as follows "Pitch, the mean spirited devil, is trying to ruin Christmas, Santa Claus teams up with Merlin the Magician and the children of the world in order to sdave the day! It is from 1959, 94 min.)You have to check out the cover art on this one!!!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053241/
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 12:52:58 PM by rubedugans »