Author Topic: Ober Gatlinburg  (Read 2964 times)

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
Ober Gatlinburg
« on: November 28, 2011, 05:58:15 PM »
The Alpine sled thread prompted me to start this thread. It's been a few years since we visited, but I thought it was a wonderful place. Anyone else been there? Not a huge park, but they do have indoor ice rink, snow skiing in winter, alpine sled, chair lift, arcade, and an aerial tram that takes you up the mountain to the park. Love to hear from anyone else that's been there. I've talked with several folks who've done the Smokies/PF/Gatlinburg tirp, but not many are aware of this place.

http://www.obergatlinburg.com/activities/
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
Re: Ober Gatlinburg
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 07:22:28 PM »
Very neat!

I have never been there, or even heard of it for that matter. It seems to be a “buffet” of amusement park attractions with something for everyone. I would definitely like to try it out for a day! :)

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 03:48:09 AM »
When I saw that Euro slide video, I also, immediately thought of Ober Gatlinburg, though not by name.  It had been so long since I'd thought about it.  But it's great to see they are still going strong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74Ru6Zbyl4s

Sound gets loud at 1:20 when they cut to POV.  He really looks like he doesn't like it. ;)

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 08:44:15 PM »
Myself, along with my wife & parents, visited Ober Gatlinburg in July of this year when we went to Gatlinburg. It was nice, we didn't do a lot of the amusment stuff, but the ride to the top was beautiful, and we did have a nice lunch at the restaurant.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 07:29:40 AM »
I rode the slide this summer, it was my first time on the Alpine Slide and it was worth a spin.
I recommend!!

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 01:51:23 PM »
I remember seeing vacation videos from my uncle a few years ago of my cousins on this! It looks like a lot of fun!
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 07:38:09 PM »
Myself, along with my wife & parents, visited Ober Gatlinburg in July of this year when we went to Gatlinburg. It was nice, we didn't do a lot of the amusment stuff, but the ride to the top was beautiful, and we did have a nice lunch at the restaurant.

I really liked how after you paid the $14 or whatever it is to ride the aerial tram when you get almost to the top you can see a parking lot, and then they tell you that you could have drove up there yourself. Seriously though, the kids did some of the amusement stuff as well as riding the lift up to the top of the mountain. My buddy did the alpine slide, I didn't, but saw him go past us on his way down as we were on our way up on the sky lift.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett