Author Topic: First (and Likely Last) Visit  (Read 8221 times)

BelmontATO

• View Profile
First (and Likely Last) Visit
« on: May 13, 2008, 10:11:07 AM »
OK, so my In-Laws are going to drive out from West Virginia and visit my wife and I for the first time, and likely the last (they are getting older, and money is extremely tight). As part of their visit, we are going to take them to SDC for the first time on May 31. So my question is, if you had only one day to introduce two older people to SDC for the first (and likely last) time, what would you rate as "must see" attractions?

I can tell you that we are definitely going to start out with an early breakfast at the park.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: First (and Likely Last) Visit
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 11:54:33 AM »
-The Cave
-Echo Hollow Show
-Swinging Bridge
-Crafters (all of them)
-Fire in the Hole
-Frisco Silver Dollar Line
-Flooded Mine
-The quirky things around the park
-The House of BBQ!  (Is BBQ still going on then?)
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 02:58:36 PM »
^The Cave and Frisco Silver Dollar Line are definitely musts.  Along with the House of BBQ there are quite a few bluegrass shows going on May 31 so you might check out a couple of those.  If you visit the House of BBQ you'll be able to see some bluegrass performers there.  You'll be going the second-to-last day of the Bluegrass and BBQ Festival--that's pretty good timing!  :)

BelmontATO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 03:47:52 PM »
I know... I'm getting in just under the BBQ radar.

They are older people, and we will have my 2-year-old with us, so the cave is probably out. We will definitely hit the train, though. I think they will really enjoy the artisans as well. It will give me a good chance to re-visit some of the demonstrations (glass blower, candle makers, etc...) that I usually skip over since I have seen them so many times before.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 03:59:11 PM »
Whenever we have guests with us who either haven't been or haven't been in a long time, I like to sit back and let them drive the visit.  Too much of me saying "You've got to see this" or "We've got to get to the other end before this show starts" can really turn the newbies off.  It's kind of like sitting in a movie theater and telling everyone when the best parts are about to happen.  I say that if they want to see a particular show or attraction, I can get them there pretty quickly.  Otherwise, my suggestion is, let them know what is there so they can pick out what they want to see, and then get them to those places before the end of the day.  It's kind of fun to see SDC through the eyes of a new person; in fact, it paints the place in all new colors for the veteran.

Also, remember the suggestion from SDC itself - go clockwise!  Once inside go to the left first, down the big hill.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 04:37:06 PM »
Just take the day easy and go in whatever direction seems good at the time. SDC is a great place to wander.

You should really make sure and hit up the glassblowers though, the guys in there are usually really funny and entertaining, as well as amazing crafters.

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 04:41:45 PM »
Take them early for breakfast in the mine....and ask for the special table!
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 04:45:47 PM »
Let them look at and do all the things the enjoy. If they enjoy crafts then take them to all the craftsman. (If they enjoy BBQ or Bluegrass then they are coming at the perfect time). Older folks also tend to enjoy shows more than anything so make sure to hit up a couple shows.

Most of all (as Dale said) kind of let them run the show and you and your family can tag along and have fun.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

BelmontATO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 04:58:36 PM »
Good advice, all! I always forget to go left when I come in, but that is an excellent suggestion. Saves on the long walk back up the huge hill late in the day. They're my in-laws, and I don't really know them that well, but I am still thrilled to get to see them discover all there is to see and do.

sdcforever

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 09:06:34 AM »
Go left.  That's a good idea!  I never knew SDC suggested that.  I usually go left; actually, usually we run down to TNT and ride that first thing then go left through Main St. and down the big hill.

I hope all of you enjoy the trip, BelmontATO!  8)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 06:02:02 PM »
I guess we always go left also but it is never planned that way.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 12:08:30 PM »
I'm surprised at the Echo Hollow suggestion.  Does anyone else think that the last show is terrible?

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 07:46:44 PM »
I have been there 3 times already this year.  Went 2 of the times to Echo Hollow for the show at the end of the day.  I really enjoyed GAC Nights as did the people I took with me.  I think that this years show is alot better than last year. (and I liked that one too)
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

BelmontATO

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 10:58:05 AM »
I haven't stayed for the evening show in a loooooooong time. Usually everybody is just so worn out by then.

sdcforever

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 02:43:21 PM »
^I haven't been to an Echo Hollow show in a long time either.  It's easy to walk by and forget it's even there.