Author Topic: Dollywood's River Battle  (Read 6158 times)

sdcforever

Dollywood's River Battle
« on: May 08, 2008, 11:50:25 AM »
I found a forum with some very nice pics of River Battle.  It's a fun idea with good theming, but I agree with Steve.  Everything is so plastic looking!  I posted a pic below (click to enlarge) and below is a link to the forum with many more pictures of the ride.  Before the River Battle pics there are a few documenting the changes around Mystery Mine.
http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42599

I just hope SDC doesn't ever open a new ride that looks so fake and plastic!

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Dollywood's River Battle
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 06:04:40 PM »
It looks like Toontown at Disneyworld.   ::)

It does look like an overall enjoyable experience though. How does the ride work? Do you just go around in circles shooting? If SDC gets a version of this I hope it won't be so cartoony.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »
Yeah, again - it's not that it looks bad, it just doesn't look real, and I prefer and value realisticness. It's apparently a big hit though, so I definitely see one coming to Brason soon. 

Dukefan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 07:48:59 PM »
I also wish they would have taken a more realistic approach to the themeing.  It seems like that's the direction they were going with Mystery Mine, but then they went and did this...it's just very cartoonish looking. 

I also think it was a major oversight that they didn't bother to give the backside of the Mystery Mine building a facade. (that probably had something to do with the budget though)

That said, I believe River Battle is a big hit with the kiddies and since that is what they were going for, the ride should be considered a success.

8)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
But again, how does it work?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 08:47:09 PM »
^You ride around in a boat and shoot at targets and spectators, all the while getting hit with effects and water cannons manned by the spectators. It's basically the Flooded Mine, but with water, and effects that shoot back, and spectators with water cannons... or something like that. 

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 08:54:27 PM »
^Ahh I see. It sounds pretty fun. I bet it is hard to get adults on the ride though. I bet you get soaked.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 10:59:35 PM »
Well, that's what's great about Dollywood always getting things first; anything that doesn't quite work right there can be tweaked and tested before SDC ever adds it.

Looks like a fun ride, and with tweaks to the theming, it would fit in pretty well at SDC (especially over near Geyser Gulch or something).

~ "Becky" Joy ~

sdcforever

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 09:40:32 AM »
I think it would fit well at SDC with the right theming.  And it does sound like a lot of fun.  SDC already has some of the elements of River Battle, with Splash Harbor and the Lost River (now that LR has a few spectator guns).