Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 722030 times)

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #1455 on: September 27, 2012, 03:48:43 PM »
Lookin' good. Won't make it down for several weeks, but after months of numerous people recommending it, I did make a recent trip to Holiday World in Santa Claus, IN. I'm sure a few folks here have been there as well. It's billed as a favorite park for cleanliness and kid-friendly attractions. Oh, and it just so happens to have a few nice coasters as well. Thought I would share my first impressions. Why here? Because the overriding thought my wife and I talked about repeatedly was this place doesn't hold a candle to SDC – on any level. Not food, shows, shopping, rides, etc. Maybe it's not even fair to compare the two, but I couldn't help myself given both parks are billed as being so family and kid friendly. Keep in mind that regular admission to SDC is about $15 above that of a Holiday World ticket.

HW Pros
1) Yes, it was clean.
2) Unlimited soft drinks with admission was a nice bonus.
3) Yes, there were plenty of rides for the little ones (we had 11 kids ages 5 and under in our group). 

HW Cons
1) Theming throughout is subpar at best. They break the park into "Holiday" areas (Christmas, Thanksgiving, Halloween, 4th of July, etc.) with respective rides for each.
2) Most of the rides suited for kids under 42" (and there are several) are generic to the point of being worthy of the variety you would find at your local carnival or state fair.
3) Attention to detail is absent, right down to the ride attendants using unpainted white PVC pipe to check riders for height before boarding. I mean come on.
4) Many of the ride layouts lack any character whatsoever. Their flume is about 100yds. of a mildly winding concrete trough to a hill/drop. Their rapids ride is insanely short with very little intensity. Their indoor shooting ride has very few targets with nothing more than florescent painted sets under black lights throughout. 
5) They need more family rides.

Lastly, another reason I felt compelled to share my thoughts relates to Outlaw Run. Holiday World's top coaster is the Voyage. A wooden (with metal supports) coaster that tops many lists as the best wooden coaster in the world. After riding it for the first time ever, I couldn't help but think of Outlaw Run. For the most part, just hoping it is far more smooth. I absolutely love coasters, but the Voyage was the first coaster I've ever ridden where I was legitimately looking forward to the ride ending. Most wooden coasters create that exhilarating sensation of the ride coming apart as you race through its circuit. This one made me feel like it was tearing me apart. I cannot describe how intensely rough the ride is. I generally enjoy the character and rickety feel of a wood coaster, but The Voyage was simply too much for me, which is a shame because the layout is an absolute gem. I don't know what to expect with the topper track system on Outlaw Run, but I sincerely hope it offers a ride closer to the feel of steel versus that of a traditional woody. Much like the Voyage, given the intensity of the circuit, I think a rough ride would mask the genius of the layout.

Moral of this entire story – we're spoiled. SDC is a true diamond in the rough with yet another new, brilliant facet that's sure to make it shine even more. Look forward to being back in The City soon.

P.S. Apologies if it's already been discussed, but beyond the ongoing debate about SDC vs. DW, anyone else agree the Golden Ticket Awards seem to be losing credibility? Last year, Holiday World hosted the awards where Dollywood took home honors for Best Shows and Best Christmas Event. Dollywood hosted this year's awards a few weeks ago and they took home Golden Tickets for Friendliest Park, Best Food, Best Shows, Best New Ride for 2012 (Wild Eagle) and Best Christmas Event. Certainly seems to be a little bias toward the host park, but I digress.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 03:50:01 PM by BackInTime9 »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: September 27, 2012, 04:38:19 PM »
I received an email today stating that the LAST piece of track is in place!!!

see pics at silverdollarcity2013.com

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #1457 on: September 27, 2012, 05:18:43 PM »
I did make a recent trip to Holiday World in Santa Claus, IN.

The problem is, you did your trip wrong.  You don't go to Holiday World for the ride park.  You go to Holiday World for the waterpark.  Really that is the only thing worth doing there.  So you go for the waterpark and stay for the rollercoasters AFTER you are done with the waterpark.  Seriously, their ride park is pathetic.  Only Raven and Legend are worth riding.  The Turkey Blaster ride used to be a lot of fun but it sucks anymore.  I consider Pilgrim's Plunge part of the waterpark BTW.  Nothing else is really worth riding other than Raven and Legend in the ride park.  I will never ride Voyage again - it is overrated and is a TERRIBLE coaster.  Shoot I'd ride Howler over Voyage.

So next time, plan on going to the park when the waterpark is open and you'll come away much more satisfied.
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1458 on: September 27, 2012, 05:36:24 PM »
Comparing HW to SDC is still apples to oranges IMO, even if they are both amusement parks. The approach of both parks is completely different.

This is a topic about Outlaw Run though. OR will be much smoother than the Voyage, and that's a fact. They simply pushed the limits too far with the Voyage for what the materials could handle, which is sad because as you mentioned it is a dream layout. OR won't have that problem because every piece has been engineered to perfection. I don't have any concerns about roughness on it.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: September 27, 2012, 09:12:17 PM »
You go to Holiday World for the waterpark.  Really that is the only thing worth doing there.

Definitely what we gathered from the experience. The waterpark looked pretty legit and expansive. I generally prefer traditional rides over the waterpark variety though.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: September 27, 2012, 09:18:30 PM »
OR will be much smoother than the Voyage, and that's a fact. I don't have any concerns about roughness on it.

I sure hope you're right. Steel wheels on steel topper track makes me skeptical though. I can't imagine how they can replicate the smoothness of urethane wheels on steel, but even if it's in the neighborhood I'll be happy. The layout and characteristics of OR look so amazing, I would just hate for it to wind up being a ride that beats the living snot out of you to the point that you walk away with a headache and not much interest in making a dash to jump right back in the queue. Any word at all when we might see trains show up?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #1461 on: September 29, 2012, 09:33:17 PM »
Yeah -- so back to the actual topic of this thread....
I went to SDC on Friday and got some photos of Outlaw Run

http://midwestinfoguide.com/silver/outlawrun/09.28.12/
SWOOSH

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: October 01, 2012, 02:01:06 PM »
Swoosh, thanks again for the pictures. I'm really looking forward to next year.

Jay

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: October 07, 2012, 02:32:14 PM »
So, any updates on the project? Swoosh, the pictures were great...Anybody else visit and take pictures in the last week? Can't wait for the season passes to go on sell on November 1st....
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 02:32:52 PM by joshblakebran »
Colorado SDC Fan

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: October 08, 2012, 07:36:57 AM »
no pics, but it looks like the que? area is formed up and ready for concrete..that area looks HUGE from the train....

FYI--this was the 1st time this year i did not see any workers on the job during the weekend,.,.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: October 08, 2012, 10:15:31 AM »
If the track is complete, I wonder if testing with the trains will begin soon? I assume they would prefer warmer weather to do this than alternative.

mammalone

« Reply #1466 on: October 08, 2012, 12:22:01 PM »
They are throwing around the date of Nov 18 to have everything finished, I think including testing. That's the week before Thanksgiving so I wonder if SDC wants to be able to showcase it in someway the weekend after Thanksgiving. Man it is crowded that weekend. Last year we went down the day after Thanksgiving and you could barely move. Won't be doing that again.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: October 08, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
On SDC's Facebook page, they are showing us 3 designs for the new 2013 mug with Outlaw Run. Black, blue, or brown.
They are taking a poll, I voted for brown. Which design was your favorite?
You have a great past just ahead of you.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: October 08, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »
They are throwing around the date of Nov 18 to have everything finished, I think including testing. That's the week before Thanksgiving so I wonder if SDC wants to be able to showcase it in someway the weekend after Thanksgiving. Man it is crowded that weekend. Last year we went down the day after Thanksgiving and you could barely move. Won't be doing that again.

We'll go once more this year during OTC but the son and I may use our freebie tickets from selling Boy Scout popcorn after Christmas. It would be sweet if they opened it up to the Scouts for that day as a surprize.

ttroyer210

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: October 08, 2012, 05:31:04 PM »
Can someone post pictures of the mugs I can't find them on the Facebook page
Fire In The Hole!