Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 717891 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #1410 on: August 23, 2012, 05:56:21 PM »
But I guess I'm also looking at it through the lens of an enthusiast, versus the general public who probably could care less about knowing more about all the little details and idiosyncracies of this increasingly anticipated ride.   

I think that's it. The major interest has passed, there's nothing left to hype. They will probably release more photos later on, and maybe video footage of the testing, but you can't expect them to keep you entertained with constant updates. After so much media attention, it's probably better to lay off it for awhile now and then get everyone's attention again closer to the actual ticket sales time.

I don't think there's much to wait for now except the arrival of the trains, testing, and opening day. Testing could begin as early as November I hear.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: August 23, 2012, 06:16:08 PM »
Nov 1st.. that would be great, but no surprise. they have had perfect weather this year, and working 6 or 7 days a week should be way ahead of schedule...

hopefully they can be done and tested before the end of the year... That way they can concentrate on the rebuild that is going to happen "in' the park ;)

2013 should be a very good year!!!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #1412 on: August 23, 2012, 10:10:45 PM »
I find it odd and very dissatisfying that SDC hyped the "unveiling" announcement for OR over the course of months, and there's been virtually nothing added to the promo site since. No additional photos of ongoing construction progress, no interviews with officials from RMC or SDC about the ride. And no POV video.

It's like having a carrot dangled in front of your face, and someone telling you you can look at hit, but can't have a taste for eight months.

Just seems like another missed marketing opportunity to keep the momentum going into season ticket sale time later this year. But I guess I'm also looking at it through the lens of an enthusiast, versus the general public who probably could care less about knowing more about all the little details and idiosyncracies of this increasingly anticipated ride.   

U mad, bro?
SWOOSH

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: August 23, 2012, 11:55:09 PM »
Not in the least. The timing of this project has just turned out to be totally anticlimactic. The project looked to be about 75% complete when they made the official announcement. Just seems really lame that we'll have look at a completed record-breaking coaster just sitting there for another six months before anyone will get the chance to ride it. 

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1414 on: August 24, 2012, 12:17:28 AM »
We should all be grateful that the ride will be ready in easy time for the 2013 season. I can guarantee you that a number of the big SF and CF projects for 2013 won't even break ground until spring and then won't open until mid to late summer, as it has happened most years. I've been thrilled that we've at least had something to look at this summer instead of just having to sit around waiting until fall for a hint of something new.

August isn't even over yet...

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: August 24, 2012, 11:50:06 AM »
All relative, I guess. Personally, I much prefer the more traditional route. Announcement, break ground, construction, and ride opening shortly after completion. I'm thrilled with the addition of OR to the park, but being grateful seems a bit over the top. Fortunate feels more appropriate. After all, we do pay for the entertainment. And without our continued patronage, the park doesn't add new attractions, much lest exist.

I may be way wrong, but it seems like the entire cycle of this ride has been handled completely opposite of the way SDC typically adds major attractions. Totally understand though that the abnormal year of weather may have contributed to this in ways HFEC and SDC could have never envisioned. Who knows? Not trying to stir the pot or be critical, just wish there was more to continue the discussion, and I hate the thought of having to wait half of another year before OR is operational for public enjoyment. I do think the landscaping and details in and around the queue will really wind up making this area look first class when it's all said and done.

Any idea when the trains may be arriving? And has anyone been to the park since the announcement and taken any new pictures?

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: August 24, 2012, 12:16:22 PM »
All relative, I guess. Personally, I much prefer the more traditional route. Announcement, break ground, construction, and ride opening shortly after completion.

That would be logistically impossible with a ride this size, so close to other rides, and impossible to hide. With a year-long construction and testing schedule, it can't be built in the off season.

Wildfire and Powder Keg were also big and hard to hide, but they were built before everyone and everything was on the internet.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: August 24, 2012, 03:44:14 PM »
""""Wildfire and Powder Keg were also big and hard to hide, but they were built before everyone and everything was on the internet."""""

OH YES!!! the wonders of internet....LOL!!! ;D ;D ;D

underdog

• View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: August 24, 2012, 04:50:36 PM »
FTR - you can get a 6 month trial membership for ACE that is relatively inexpensive and you are "good to go" for Coaster Christmas.

What are this year's dates for Coaster Christmas?

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: August 24, 2012, 10:06:22 PM »
I think they did an excellent job in building the suspense for the announcement.  Having a western theme is right up my alley!  I'm really getting excited thinking how they're going to theme it with stagecoaches, outlaws and lawmen.
I'm Your Huckleberry

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: August 25, 2012, 06:13:16 PM »
I think they did an excellent job in building the suspense for the announcement.  Having a western theme is right up my alley!  I'm really getting excited thinking how they're going to theme it with stagecoaches, outlaws and lawmen.
I agree duelist...the whole them appeals to me as well...
Colorado SDC Fan

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #1421 on: August 26, 2012, 05:20:07 PM »
FTR - you can get a 6 month trial membership for ACE that is relatively inexpensive and you are "good to go" for Coaster Christmas.

What are this year's dates for Coaster Christmas?

First Saturday of December every year
SWOOSH

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #1422 on: August 28, 2012, 10:44:59 AM »
I got a few pictures of the new roller coaster when I was at the City last Saturday. (Album should be public, if not let me know and I'll fix it.)

The pictures of the ride are sorta near the beginning of the album, mixed in with pictures from the train.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3718205682470.2143223.1495599105&type=3
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1423 on: August 28, 2012, 12:13:11 PM »
Very cool. Looks like the station exterior is just about done, and the guardrails up the side of the lift look to be done too.

There's not a whole lot left to look for except the construction of the break run and the plaza. We could see them start on the former next week when the park goes back to weekend-only operations.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: August 28, 2012, 04:35:34 PM »
Hard to beleive that we will see even "more" progress starting next week.. But there will lots of change week to week with the park closed 3 days a week!! 

Bring it On!!!!