Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 718115 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #1380 on: August 13, 2012, 07:17:01 PM »
^Obviously that first comment was tongue-in-cheek, hence the smiley.

For what it's worth, I'm expecting SDC's online announcement efforts to grow with future additions. This is only the second attraction ever from SDC to even have it's own website for the announcement (Tom & Huck's being the first from what I can tell), and they are making more and more effort to use social media and web technologies where it makes sense. In the end though, they didn't do what Cedar Point did because they aren't Cedar Point and they didn't need too. Who knows what they'll do for the next one though.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #1381 on: August 13, 2012, 07:18:14 PM »
Don't even try to reason with him, he's one of Blobb's minions and once they get their opinion formed (and when I say "their" I mean "Blobb's") they won't change it.  That board is beyond pathetic which is why I avoid it.

They did a great job with Outlaw Run.  There was no need to do a live broadcast as all media from the area was present.
SWOOSH

Sparky

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: August 13, 2012, 07:27:56 PM »
I agree with both of you. The Park had one of the best teasers going just from the location of the ride without announcing any construction. Then when they did do the announcement all of the area news and radio stations were there. I believe that included stations from Little Rock.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: August 13, 2012, 07:38:25 PM »
"...SDC is really stuck in the past." Um, duh? And why cookies? What is the point of the cookies? I would rather they take what they would have spent on cookies and running a live feed and place that money into fantastic theming. Worth more to me then a stale cookie and a lousy live feed. But that is me.  :-\

I'll second that!

mammalone

« Reply #1384 on: August 13, 2012, 08:42:46 PM »
Anyway though, as I noted on one of the photos I posted (http://sdcfans.com/photos/feat/24)

Shave, thanks for the awesome report. You and chadster over at TPR (great site as well) had the best reports out there. I really liked your shots from UNDER the first inversion before the double down. Really interesting, different perspective. Did they say why you didn't get to go back to see the wave turn and get closer to the barrel rolls? Can't wait to see some more shots of those.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: August 13, 2012, 09:00:55 PM »
I thought about whether they should include a POV video animation of the ride as part of the promo. For some it might be a spoiler, but for most others it wouldn't.

I finally decided that the best reason to not release a video, is simply that video couldn't do it justice. Without 3D, you'd lose the perspective of rushing so close to the ground, and the headchopper sensation of passing back under the lift. And of course the inversions wouldn't be the same as if they were experienced first hand.

That said, I'll sure be watching for the first live video taken from the ride, even if it's illicit.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: August 13, 2012, 10:01:02 PM »
Were any details given at the announcement about how soon it will be before the ride is completely tracked and they begin testing? I'm dying to see trains run through this layout. 

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #1387 on: August 13, 2012, 10:46:07 PM »
December is the date that they are giving as to when testing will begin. I'm sure they'll be close to finished tracking the ride by late October.  There is still quite a bit that needs to be done.
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1388 on: August 13, 2012, 11:18:01 PM »
Anyway though, as I noted on one of the photos I posted (http://sdcfans.com/photos/feat/24)

Shave, thanks for the awesome report. You and chadster over at TPR (great site as well) had the best reports out there. I really liked your shots from UNDER the first inversion before the double down. Really interesting, different perspective. Did they say why you didn't get to go back to see the wave turn and get closer to the barrel rolls? Can't wait to see some more shots of those.

Thanks mammalone. We didn't go down by the wave turn because they didn't want to take up too much time, and probably because there's not a good path over there with all the construction stuff, and because there's really not all that much to see there. That's the last place other than the break run where they were actually still putting up bents and maybe the last footers.

I'll bet they could finish tracking this thing in a month from now, depending on what pace they want to work at. Everything from the lift through the 153 seems to be tracked, and then the barrel rolls are tracked all the way through as well, so that leaves a little over half the ride to just put track on. They've got plenty of time now though. 

Sparky

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: August 14, 2012, 05:21:35 PM »
Remember with this type of track the top section is filled with grout. They haven't started doing that yet. The other thing that I noticed in the pictures is alot of the structure only has temporary screws holding it together. After the rest has been assembled they will start installing the rest of the permanent bolts.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: August 14, 2012, 06:23:20 PM »
Does anyone know what the tempature range will be for the outlaw? Most steel coasters are somewhere around 30 degrees on the low side. Just wondering how much winter testing they will get and the use during OTC.

crash

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: August 14, 2012, 11:46:41 PM »
I dont think they have a temperature yet, but that is my understanding.  I was curious about that too.  I say it will be in the higher 30s lower 40s range.  Or that is what i was told.  Could easily be wrong though.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: August 15, 2012, 07:30:02 AM »
crash, i am sure that will be the correct range,  with computer sensor and so on.....anything belong 36 - 38 degrees will afffect them.... also I am sure just a little moisture in the air wiil stop the ride also......... Just like PK...

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: August 15, 2012, 07:58:37 AM »
also I am sure just a little moisture in the air will stop the ride also......... Just like PK...
Sandune I was thinking about this very issue the other day.  The question that came to mind is how do they do it in Orlando?
They have almost daily rains in the summer and they certainly cant afford to shut down as often as SDC shuts down PK.
I wonder what allotments they have made with their designs to minimise the impact of moisture?
PS: I am going up this weekend for a few hours.  Should be a quick but fun trip.
All I have to say is Apple Dumpling !

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1394 on: August 15, 2012, 10:50:49 AM »
The reason PK shuts down in rain has to do with the laser sensors and the moving track segment. The lasers give false readings when they're covered in water and the moving track table is liable to slip in wet conditions. Or at least this is what I've been told by attendants when it closes down... Outlaw shouldn't have the same issues, but just like the rest of the park, if there is lightning in the area it will have to shut down.