Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 722131 times)

underdog

• View Profile
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #1230 on: August 08, 2012, 03:42:32 PM »
I can't wait. I really want to know what the trains will look like and how heavily themed the building will be.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: August 08, 2012, 04:07:23 PM »
Only around 19 hours!!!!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Colby Cox

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • I'm your number one fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: August 08, 2012, 05:27:00 PM »
The anticipation, the anticipation!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: August 08, 2012, 05:30:10 PM »
I've never watched a coaster build before. There's obviously still a huge amount of work to do before it's operational, not even including the theming and landscaping.

I assume the first rolling cars will be dummy-weighted. How long before the first test run with live passengers?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: August 08, 2012, 06:36:21 PM »
they "might" do test runs late this fall/winter when the city is closed on m-t-w. That is assuming that they get the projecy done before the 1st of the year... With the weather we have had, they should not be a problem..,

otherwise obviously will be after the 1st of the year while park is completely closed....

Just a few more hours.........................................

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: August 08, 2012, 07:10:33 PM »
I would LOVE to see the test runs!! Hot snot that would be cool! 15 hours....
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1236 on: August 08, 2012, 07:17:05 PM »
Keep it chill guys, only about 15 hours or so to go...

Anyway, I actually go to the park today... only to have it rain almost all the time and force everything to be shut down.. but I did get one ride on the train. Holy crap, I've said it before, but it needs repeating: no photos do this ride justice. The angles that it pulls are just insane, on first glance it almost looks like it can't actually be a real roller coaster.

Besides the elements we already know about, I was most impressed with the double drop section (the curvy dips right after the extreme overbank inversion). The swoop toward the base of the drop is a lot bigger than I thought it would be. The whole thing just looks a lot bigger than you would think looking at the concept art, and with a lot more height variance due to the terrain.

I don't know if I'll have wifi again until late sunday night, but I know Swoosh and some guys from TPR should be posting some great pics tomorrow.

By the way, they've really flown with the track installation. It looks like nearly all the bents are in place, and it's tracked on at least one side all the way through the double drop section, and then it has track again on the final elements. It looks like they have nearly finished the final elements, so they must have planned on having them ready to show off tomorrow.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: August 08, 2012, 09:25:43 PM »
Swoosh and Shave...keep us posted! Photos aplenty, please, and any scans of press materials that you can do would be great as well. Thanks so much guys, I just wish I could be there! Anyone else on park Thursday? Please, post what you can, as soon as you can! ;D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Colby Cox

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • I'm your number one fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: August 08, 2012, 10:00:27 PM »
Man, how I wish I could be there tomorrow! Don't worry, I'm going to have a lot of fun at work here in Kansas bright and early tomorrow.  ::)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1239 on: August 08, 2012, 10:24:17 PM »
Good news, this cabin (or giant house, rather) has wifi after all. Unfortunately, I didn't bring cables to upload my photos, so you'll have to wait until Sunday or Monday for my coverage, but here's a thread on TPR that will have coverage: http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1212628#p1212628

And of course, midwestinfoguide.com will be updated soon after with some great photos too, and silverdollarcity2013.com will have some great animations and artwork as well.

mammalone

« Reply #1240 on: August 08, 2012, 10:30:16 PM »
Thanks shave, looking forward to your coverage! Glad you got the perspective today from the train. Seeing it in person is quite the contrast to the art etc. So cool. Local news did a teaser tonight. They'll be covering it nicely as well.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #1241 on: August 08, 2012, 11:46:30 PM »
Get her swoosh.
She thinks we don't know. Something tells me
The bragging posts from some will end tomorrow.
Then it will be only the regulars again.  I look forward to that.

Well, I thought this was a place for fans of SDC to come to talk about and share what's happening but guess I was wrong. I certainly did not intend to brag, rather share in the excitement of the new attraction. I was just excited about seeing the small bit of info that we will all see tomorrow anyway.

I've been visiting SDC since I was a small kid and as a long time fan of SDC, I have loved visiting this site and being part of the conversation. It's too bad that some seem to act like they are the only ones that can contribute to the conversation with their rude and sarcastic remarks. I suppose if you do want to run people off, that's what you will get in the end. What a great representation of an awesome place like SDC. Yes, mhguy77 and swoosh, I'm talking to you.

Everyone enjoy the announcement tomorrow. Also, still a dude.

Cool story, bro.
As tempting as it is to out you more than I already have, I'll keep it chill and play along.

Mamma is totally a dud... man this is harder than I thought... dude looks like a lady... I mean guy.
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1242 on: August 08, 2012, 11:54:12 PM »
^I can't even follow what's going on there, but let's keep it focused on the topic at hand please.

Another note I have from today: the station looks GREAT. Like, really great. It really brings out the old time charm and characteristic architecture of the park. They have a stagecoach parked in front of it for the announcement tomorrow. I'll bet it ends up as part of the area theming.

It looks like the queue line enters the building from the side, but I can't tell where it is going to start. They'll probably have an overflow area outside the actual building that will be built later. I hope there's some concept art of the actual area itself tomorrow.

mammalone

« Reply #1243 on: August 09, 2012, 12:35:44 AM »
Swoosh it's cool man. Hey I think Kiddy Land down in Pittsburgh, Kansas is bout to break some news. Can't wait to see your update! Try spell check on your website dude.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: August 09, 2012, 12:39:02 AM »
Ten hours to go!! Wish I could be at SDC but I'll be watching the Internet closely tomorrow morning like most of us. It'll be a big day in SDC's history for sure!
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."