Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 722360 times)

mammalone

Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #1125 on: July 30, 2012, 07:18:52 PM »
I for sure will not post the screen shot I got or anything more than has already been said on the layout. I guarantee you they will get great media play. The general public has no idea really about anything except what they've seen from the train. SDC would have to worry more about a major media outlet going with the story early, which won't happen. They'll have a great week next week...

ttroyer210

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: July 30, 2012, 11:12:11 PM »
I'm torn on this on one hand I want to know everything about this coaster but on the other hand I really love surprises but in the end what really matters is that SDC is getting a quality ride
Fire In The Hole!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: July 31, 2012, 05:28:02 AM »
Surprise me now, surprise me 9 days from now, surprise me with the first rider review, surprise me with the first on-ride video, surprise me the first time I actually get to ride it...

I'm no longer sure what "surprise" means.

I love everything we've heard about the ride so far, even the short ride time (higher throughput, shorter line times!). Whatever double barrel zero G roll-thingy happens in the valley, nothing intrigues me more than that inverted overbanked cutback fakeout thing, which has been right out there in the open all along.

That thing is going to be wicked crazy.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 05:28:39 AM by KBCraig »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1128 on: July 31, 2012, 09:49:11 AM »
^I think it's nice when the surprise comes when the park wants it to. When all the little details leak out like they have here, then you don't get to build up excitement to the announcement day like it's Christmas morning.

As I had said would happen, the layout has been posted online on certain enthusiast forums. Unfortunately for me, I saw it. I guess at this point there wasn't much else to spoil though. I'm pretty pleased with the layout, though I think the concept art makes it look a lot longer than it is in real life. There will be some nice air and some tremendous curves.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: July 31, 2012, 10:30:33 AM »
My initial reaction to the layout art yesterday was one of a little disappointment. I believe I may have reacted too quickly upon studying it a little more last night. First and foremost, the art does not give any credence whatsoever to the terrain this coaster sits on and winds through. It looks as if the entire ride is practically sitting on a relatively flat parcel of land, which we all know couldn't be further from reality.

The artwork is also a little deceiving in that it really doesn't seem to show another significant drop beyond the initial. But again, we have to keep in mind that this coaster will definitely utilize the onsite terrain to its advantage. In case you care to know a little more, but still don't want to see the layout, here are a few other details to help your imaginations wander a little more before you feast your eyes on the layout and videos unveiled at the big announcement next week.

The mind boggling element we've speculated on and watched take shape next to the tracks is being called an outside stall. It's just one of three record breaking elements on Outlaw Run. This coaster looks to provide four sections to maximize airtime, and at least three sections pushing nice lateral G's. Don't know if any track has been laid through the lift yet, but depending on how aggressive they get with the clearance, we might also expect a nice headchopper when when the train races back through the lift. The train will be hurling 80ft. uphill as it goes through the double barrel roll, which will be the last section of track before the train turns sharply right into the brake run.

ttroyer210

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: July 31, 2012, 10:50:57 AM »
How long will the coaster be time wise compared to the other coasters at SDC
Fire In The Hole!

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: July 31, 2012, 11:00:31 AM »
Based on the top speed of 68 mph, I would be shocked if this ride is two minutes long, but including the ascent on the lift hill, it might be. With the exception of FITH, I would expect this coaster to be the shortest major coaster at SDC, but easily the most intense. This will not be a long ride, but it will definitely pack a punch.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:02:22 AM by BackInTime9 »

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: July 31, 2012, 11:08:13 AM »
Based on the top speed of 68 mph, I would be shocked if this ride is two minutes long, but including the ascent on the lift hill, it might be. This will not be a long ride, but it will definitely pack a punch.

I'm betting on 1:15 to 1:30 in duration.

Now I can add a twisty GCI woody to my harp list to go along with my spinner and floorless dreams and my fantasies about a 3D Diving Bell  and a redo of FITH with modern tech and a vertical drop/launch ending.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: July 31, 2012, 11:22:54 AM »
Agreed. I'm sure we won't see another coaster for several more years, but I'm thrilled we finally got a woody at SDC.

Length aside, the numbers for Outlaw Run are really something to behold in terms of current wooden coaster world rankings.

#1 Highest Angle of Descent (by a whopping four degrees)
#2 Largest Drop
#2 Fastest

Plus, it's the first wooden coaster in the world to feature:

- Double barrel roll inversion
- Outside banked turn
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:25:15 AM by BackInTime9 »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1134 on: July 31, 2012, 11:26:14 AM »
In terms of ride length and experience it's easiest to compare it to Wildfire (hence the Wildfire 2.0 comment I made earlier). It's basically a big drop followed by a few interesting elements. It's pretty short, but as everyone is saying, it packs a punch so it makes up for it. One of these days SDC will learn how to use an MCBR.

I don't think this will quite be the top #10 coaster I was fantasizing about due to it's length, but it is certainly interesting and will attract the enthusiasts.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: July 31, 2012, 11:50:21 AM »
Like Shave, I'm a little bummed about the ride length as well, but I'm reserving full judgement until the ride is actually open for business.

If this is in fact one of three (and the least expensive) major projects planned for SDC over the next few years, I can't imagine what they have up their sleeves. But who knows what future plans hold for SDC, and who knows how awesome Outlaw Run may truly wind up being when it's all said and done. Maybe a few years from now, we'll all we flabbergasted by an expansive MM type coaster Swoosh has prognosticated about in previous posts.

One thing is certain. This coaster was clearly designed to minimize material costs and utilize the surrounding terrain to get as much bang for $10 or $12 million as possible.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:52:59 AM by BackInTime9 »

jrkstl

• View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: July 31, 2012, 12:22:21 PM »
I just saw the leaked layout, and while not the longest coaster by any means I think the length looks perfect.  We'll call this the "Batman-The Ride" of woodies :)  Seriously, I appreciate that there doesn't appear to be one inch of dead space.  If this were going to be a more traditional wooden coaster, I'd want it to be longer.  Since this is clearly not traditional by any means, I'm fine with the shorter but VERY sweet footprint! 

Very happy for SDC, and if this ride is as smooth as Texas Giant, it's going to be a huge hit with everyone!

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: July 31, 2012, 12:27:19 PM »
I'm staying off other sites so I don't ruin the surprise of the layout. 9 more days people!!!! Whoooo! SDC is getting a winner next year.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: July 31, 2012, 12:38:41 PM »
Okay, people!  I'm off task here, and REALLY showing my age, but...how do you take a screenshot on an iPhone4s?  I can't make mine work, so I'm doing something wrong.  Can someone help???

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: July 31, 2012, 01:47:21 PM »
I just saw the leaked layout, and while not the longest coaster by any means I think the length looks perfect.  We'll call this the "Batman-The Ride" of woodies :)  Seriously, I appreciate that there doesn't appear to be one inch of dead space.  If this were going to be a more traditional wooden coaster, I'd want it to be longer.  Since this is clearly not traditional by any means, I'm fine with the shorter but VERY sweet footprint! 

Very happy for SDC, and if this ride is as smooth as Texas Giant, it's going to be a huge hit with everyone!
Could you please shoot me that site via PM

thanks