Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 717881 times)

mammalone

Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #1080 on: July 29, 2012, 01:49:20 PM »
Sorry Wildfire but I was asked not to. Is there a huge difference between a barrel roll and a zero g roll? They kept calling it a barrel roll but I thought it looked more like a zero g. It's also pretty close to the ground.

Wildfire

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: July 29, 2012, 02:00:28 PM »
Ok, fine, you win.  But if you did accidentally post it we would be eternally grateful ;D

Colby Cox

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • I'm your number one fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: July 29, 2012, 02:01:23 PM »
I don't know what the difference is, but they are similar, I believe.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: July 29, 2012, 02:06:04 PM »
Dont post it!!! I want to be floored! Surprised! Bamboozled!!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1084 on: July 29, 2012, 03:32:48 PM »
I appreciate our posters not going against the park's wishes, though in this case, even mentioning it may have been bad enough... Still though, thanks for the info. I'll hold my breath until the announcement anyway since things have gone differently than they initially looked so many times before.

That would give this ride about three standout elements including the drop and the first inversion. That's good enough for one ride, I just hope the rest of the layout provides focuses on airtime and traditional elements for a rounded experience.

Colby Cox

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • I'm your number one fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: July 29, 2012, 03:54:35 PM »
I feel that at this point, if we're thinking about the three elements there so far, this ride is going to be very exciting even if the rest of the ride doesn't have any remarkable 'new' elements. Throw in some bunny hops, sharp curves, and airtime, and we've got a great ride.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #1086 on: July 29, 2012, 05:34:23 PM »
1. The element cannot be seen from the train, only from where cameras are forbidden.
2. Heard there will be OTSR on this, still waiting for conformation.
SWOOSH

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: July 29, 2012, 06:15:00 PM »

>:( :( :-[ :'(

Jay

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1088 on: July 29, 2012, 06:31:25 PM »

>:( :( :-[ :'(

Jay

Ouch, if that one turns out true then there goes about half of my excitement. Of course, I have been told directly that this ride will be smooth, but of course smoothness is relative and with a mostly wood structure this ride is sure to maintain some of the feel of a wood coaster. As it gets older the OSTR's could really kill it. We'll see though, there are too many rumors going around right now, I'm ready to just wait and see.

mammalone

« Reply #1089 on: July 29, 2012, 06:45:31 PM »
Due to that fakeout element thingy after the drop, I'd be shocked if it didn't have OTSR.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 06:46:53 PM by mammalone »

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: July 29, 2012, 07:10:17 PM »
Due to that fakeout element thingy after the drop, I'd be shocked if it didn't have OTSR.

They are so unneeded considering what some of the european companies are doing. All one has to do is look af the new cars for the gerstlauer eurofighter at Galvaston Pier.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:31:34 PM by chittlins »

jrkstl

• View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: July 29, 2012, 07:38:41 PM »
Due to a rumor I heard earlier from a reliable source, I remain hopeful that the restraints will be "overhead," not OTSR.  Fingers crossed we'll end up with something like the newer Eurofighters.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:49:47 PM by jrkstl »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1092 on: July 29, 2012, 08:08:23 PM »
^^Hmm, so maybe more like the el loco restraints from S&S? I'm not sure that's much better. If anything has to go over the shoulders, I'd prefer it be more like Intimidator 305's padded straps.

It's certainly not an issue of safety in any case. As others have mentioned, a number of coasters have operated for decades with inversions and nothing to hold riders in but simple lap bar restraints and they have been fine. Even with the hang time that this ride might provide, with a properly designed lap restraint you can still hold riders in their seats while inverted. If it does end up with OSTR's, I'm betting it's because management at some level is paranoid after the Darien Lake incident. Either that, or something to do with trying to accommodate larger guests at the same time as smaller ones.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: July 29, 2012, 08:44:10 PM »
^^Hmm, so maybe more like the el loco restraints from S&S? I'm not sure that's much better. If anything has to go over the shoulders, I'd prefer it be more like Intimidator 305's padded straps.

It's certainly not an issue of safety in any case. As others have mentioned, a number of coasters have operated for decades with inversions and nothing to hold riders in but simple lap bar restraints and they have been fine. Even with the hang time that this ride might provide, with a properly designed lap restraint you can still hold riders in their seats while inverted. If it does end up with OSTR's, I'm betting it's because management at some level is paranoid after the Darien Lake incident. Either that, or something to do with trying to accommodate larger guests at the same time as smaller ones.

it`s the over the shoulder restraints on Wildfire that gives me fits. I've got a large chest and shoulders. It's the reason that the otsr will not go down far enought to let the belt latch in. If I lost the wieght I needed to, it was a tight tight fit and that when I was wearing 36 pants.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: July 29, 2012, 08:47:21 PM »
If not OTSRs then do you think this would be open to a shorter demographic like powderkeg is?
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!