Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 722698 times)

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #1050 on: July 26, 2012, 03:51:35 PM »
I sincerely hope the massive barrier blocking our view of the valley is well justified and not a veiled tactic to continue the momentum this ride has already generated. I agree that it would be hard to not imagine more real surprises with the announcement given the fact that two major and impressive elements have taken shape in plain view. Certainly looks like HFEC is looking to knock one out of the park here. Hope that assumption comes to fruition. Also hope this winds up being significantly longer than the existing coasters in the park. But at the end of that day, I'm just thrilled to see the mere inclusion of this one finally gracing SDC.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #1051 on: July 26, 2012, 08:01:27 PM »
Little birdie just dropped off this tidbit of information.

"The Park’s Biggest Investment in the Past Decade - $10 Million Highly-Themed New Attraction"
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1052 on: July 26, 2012, 08:19:27 PM »
Only $10 million? Hmm, well wood coasters are a lot cheaper than the all-steel coasters, and this one is fairly low to the ground in a lot of places, but that's still just a bit lower than I expected.

There's definitely not going to be a mid-course break run on this thing, so I don't see them being able to have more than two trains running at once, so the layout can't be terribly long in order to keep capacity moving.

I'm not complaining or trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I'm always trying to figure out where to set my expectations with this thing. So far every expectation of mine has been broken, but I don't think that will go on indefinitely as they go farther down the layout. There's only one spot left on this ride where we don't have a good idea of what's going to happen, and that's way down in the bottom of the near valley. There could be something interesting taking shape there, or it will just roar through with a series of quick curves and bunny hops before curving back up to the station.

In terms of the scope of the experience, this could be a lot like Wildfire in that the ride will be fairly short, yet sweet with a good drop, few sweet elements, and a new train design that compliments the ride.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong again, who knows at this point. Just don't set your expectations on this thing being a mile long.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: July 26, 2012, 09:40:56 PM »
We're sworn to secrecy - just wait to until you hear/see the surprise. ;)

Also, I remember hearing/posting/saying that this was the *smallest* of the 3 big projects planned.  Now that we have a dollar figure, that sort of helps support that.
SWOOSH

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: July 26, 2012, 10:51:57 PM »
Can you refresh my memory? Were you talking smallest of three big projects planned for SDC, RMC or HFEC parks in general? I do recall you saying a while back that you still anticipated seeing a Mystery Mine type addition coming to SDC relatively soon, or did I misunderstand?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: July 26, 2012, 11:07:27 PM »
SDC. and yes, the talk at the time was the largest of the 3 projects would be a MM style heavily themed ride... and with the advancements they have made on the supports being used now for that style of coaster, I would say that the chances are better now than they were a few years ago.

So... who's excited to see what secrets hide in the woods. :)
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: July 26, 2012, 11:20:08 PM »
SDC. and yes, the talk at the time was the largest of the 3 projects would be a MM style heavily themed ride... and with the advancements they have made on the supports being used now for that style of coaster, I would say that the chances are better now than they were a few years ago.

So... who's excited to see what secrets hide in the woods. :)

A MM style ride is great considering that Gerstlauer seems to be getting this ride perfected, Still like my ideal that each carload gets in an elevator to go down the shaft only for it to be a 15 to 25 ft drop tower type thing that freefalls to actual loading platform. Sorry, wrong thread. I'm like you, we need something on rails where the feet dangle.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: July 26, 2012, 11:54:39 PM »
When I said "supports" I mean the harnesses/lapbars being used.  Sorry the wording might have made it a little unclear.
SWOOSH

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: July 27, 2012, 06:14:37 AM »
Hmmmmmm....I'm getting jittery....this sounds like a big, big announcement coming up in a couple of weeks or so! Keep us up to date with details and photos as you can Swoosh! (By the way, thanks for all the links to the MIG trip reports in the last few days.) I think I'm ready to head west on the stagecoach and do my part to keep riders safe on the journey. Those mean ole outlaws don't stand a chance! Yeeeeeeee Hawwwwwwwww! :D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: July 27, 2012, 07:38:01 AM »
13 days!!!! I want another clue!!! ;D
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: July 27, 2012, 08:29:52 AM »
I'm on the edge of my seat as well, waiting for the big announcement!  ;D  ;D  ;D
You have a great past just ahead of you.

mammalone

« Reply #1061 on: July 27, 2012, 12:15:43 PM »
Well my earlier info was a little off, actually I just misunderstood it a bit. I'm almost afraid to say it outright so ill throw a clue at you guys: on fire in the hole this thing used to be leakin water above your head.

Thunderation

• View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: July 27, 2012, 02:43:32 PM »
The water tower? ???
You have a great past ahead of you.

mammalone

« Reply #1063 on: July 27, 2012, 03:49:46 PM »
Oh that's right it's a water tower. Ha for some reason I was thinking it was a barrel.  ;)

Wildfire

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: July 27, 2012, 03:58:08 PM »
So is it going to have a barrel roll?