Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 721787 times)

mammalone

Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #1035 on: July 22, 2012, 03:20:45 PM »
I got some pics today. They are starting the turn that goes through the lift. They also put up a HUGE banner blocking some of the construction down in the valley.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/83210708@N05/

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: July 22, 2012, 03:25:46 PM »
Party poopers. I want the banner when the year is over!!! What would I do with it you ask? That I dont know.... ???
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1037 on: July 22, 2012, 04:20:01 PM »
Great photos mammalone, thanks!

Geez, a giant banner? Now that's either a tease, or they're just really tired of people asking when it will open  ::). What part of the ride is it covering up? Is it right after then tunnel?

There's definitely a little airtime hop on the approach to the lift under/over pass. That's good to see. By the way, it was pointed out on TPR that the track might actually go over the lift instead of through it because the opening in the lift is smaller than it looks and may just be for maintenance, but we'll see for sure soon enough.

I also like your shot of the fakeout/cutback (I'm starting to lean towards 'fakeout' as a name) element, it really shows that it is about as inverted as you can get.

mammalone

« Reply #1038 on: July 22, 2012, 05:19:15 PM »
Shave, the banner is after you pass the new ride station and is on your left. They've erected a really tall wooden fence and then boom, there is the banner. It's so big. Makes me think something really interesting is going on down there and they don't want it revealed until the announcement...

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: July 22, 2012, 07:21:15 PM »
I also like your shot of the fakeout/cutback (I'm starting to lean towards 'fakeout' as a name) element, it really shows that it is about as inverted as you can get.

The lateral forces on that are going to be really something. It's going to really whip you side-to-side and back.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: July 22, 2012, 08:20:41 PM »
Word to the wise, dont ride it if you recently had shoulder/neck surgery. I did that once when I was little and I rode the Boss when it like first opened. Sucked butt.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: July 22, 2012, 08:36:52 PM »
So whens the copter shots from overhead going to come? ;D

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: July 22, 2012, 08:43:08 PM »
So whens the copter shots from overhead going to come? ;D

Time for a Parrot AR?

http://www.dronejournalismlab.org/

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: July 24, 2012, 12:04:59 PM »
"Western Missouri Stagecoach Company"  ??? ??? Why not the Butterfield Stage?
copyright infringement?
I'm Your Huckleberry

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: July 24, 2012, 05:19:26 PM »
In recent years there was a Butterfield Stagecoach bus company that operated a similar route as the ole stagecoach in southwestern states. I remember seeing some of the buses and they had a scene of a stagcoach on the side. Don't know if it is a true copyright issue or not, but it could be. I do wish they would have gone for the Butterfield name instead of what they chose...but hey, it's still early...concepts change. Maybe they will change it to Butterfield before the announcement is made or before the ride opens in the spring.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: July 24, 2012, 05:42:34 PM »
In recent years there was a Butterfield Stagecoach bus company that operated a similar route as the ole stagecoach in southwestern states. I remember seeing some of the buses and they had a scene of a stagcoach on the side. Don't know if it is a true copyright issue or not, but it could be. I do wish they would have gone for the Butterfield name instead of what they chose...but hey, it's still early...concepts change. Maybe they will change it to Butterfield before the announcement is made or before the ride opens in the spring.

I seriously doubt it. It's almost like Tom And Huck in that respect.

There's Butterfield everything in NWA from Lowell's repro stage coach to elementary schools to retirement communities.

mammalone

« Reply #1046 on: July 25, 2012, 10:12:50 PM »
Talked to a buddy tonight who has seen the animated POV videos both from the front of the train and the back. I guess we'll probably get to see those on the 9th. Anyway, he just said it looks crazy--one inversion, no tunnel. I, of course, got on him for not paying more attention to details. Hello!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1047 on: July 25, 2012, 11:14:47 PM »
^Interesting. Good to know that it looks crazy, and that they aren't going to go crazy with inversions, though I wouldn't have minded another one like what we've seen already. I do think there's much more to be seen on this coaster. Like I said on TPR:

It's worth noting that unless there is something big going on down in the valley that we can't see, this ride may actually be pretty short. I expect that there is a lot more going on down there that we can't see because of that. Right now we know that there's an awesome drop, a crazy inverted element, then a few curves that ultimately lead to a cross over or under the lift and into the next valley. We don't see anything else until the curve up the hill back into the station.

Here's another thought: since there's so much of a grade between the bottom of the valley and the station, the train will still have to be pulling some serious ass at the end in order to make it back up to the station. That is further evidence that it may end up being on the shorter side, but at the very least they will probably use that momentum to end with a big finish somehow. There have to be more big secrets behind this coaster that have yet to be revealed. You just don't start out with two jaw dropping elements and then do nothing but typical curves and bunny hills with the rest of the layout.

I think I mentioned this before, but it looks like I'll actually be going to the park on the day of the announcement. Wish I had a smart phone so that I could actually get to see the reveal online since I doubt they'll do anything big on-park, but we'll see. I might need to have someone else update the site and FB page. We probably shouldn't be the last people to be espousing the big news.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #1048 on: July 26, 2012, 12:19:16 AM »
There is a huge media gala on the 9th that I will be attending which has the Marketing/Public Relations Depts almost giddy with anticipation.  Lisa Rau emailed me today saying that Erin and Martha had sent out the press packets today in the mail and that they should be arriving soon.  Sounds like some, if not all, of us will get to go down in the valley on the 9th for photos.  Pretty excited.  Haven't heard the M/PR depts this excited in a long time - well probably since Wildfire.
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1049 on: July 26, 2012, 10:48:54 AM »
^^Oh wow, very cool. I hadn't heard anything about it, so I assumed they were just doing an online reveal like some other parks have. I'm glad they're doing it big. If they let the GP near I'll definitely be there. Can't wait to see those photos from in the valley.