Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 717986 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #900 on: June 25, 2012, 03:55:51 PM »
Welcome golfpro!
have a great trip!
do you have someplace to stay yet? check this out!
http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=2014.msg42610;topicseen#new

Colby Cox

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • I'm your number one fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: June 25, 2012, 04:26:29 PM »
Wow, I can't wait! This is looking great. If Texas Giant is to be any indication of how great this ride is going to be, then we should all be VERY excited! Thanks to everyone who has taken the liberty of uploading some pictures.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: June 25, 2012, 06:59:34 PM »
I agree. I dont think there will be an inversion either. I just dont see it working out for them. But if there is one I owe someone a funnel cake.

Roller coaster database still shows no inversions for this coaster.
I'm Your Huckleberry

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: June 25, 2012, 07:26:29 PM »
im just glad to see my photos are making it all the way to germany!! and the camera i am using is just the one on my phone. I think i will be going back next week for the 4th so i will get more pics then.
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

sawblade5

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: June 25, 2012, 08:01:29 PM »

Roller coaster database still shows no inversions for this coaster.

As that would be accurate based on current facts because the guy behind RCDB doesn't know the full details of the ride yet. If that element does becomes an inversion he'll be updating it accordingly. We will know soon enough about that element but based on the pictures it sure does look like a 0-G Roll Inversion here based on the current footer positions.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #905 on: June 25, 2012, 08:39:18 PM »
RCDB doesn't update until they have a confirmed status. It's not like RCDB's editor is in the know about what the layout is going to be.

The more I look over those photos, the more I can't see any other way the track could go without being inverted. It's a really bizarre set of bents, and the roll is facing outside of the curve it's going through, so it seems all wrong. Let's just hope those new trains are good enough to maneuver this kind of thing smoothly. Honestly, I think having inversions will make me more apprehensive about how good this ride will turn out rather than getting me excited. Most coasters associated with breaking limits like this are also associated with discomfort.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: June 25, 2012, 08:55:36 PM »
I actually would prefer no inversions myself.  I'm really excited about the theme, though!
I'm Your Huckleberry

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: June 25, 2012, 09:19:53 PM »
I'm with "Flash" in Germany: it will possibly be the world's first woody with a zero-G roll, and from what we can see so far, it looks very intense!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #908 on: June 25, 2012, 09:22:43 PM »
If it is a zero-g roll, I hope they go with iron horse track here and not just topper track.  We'll see, I guess.
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: June 25, 2012, 09:39:29 PM »
It seems we are seeing the reinvention of the rollercoaster and SDC is ground zero

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #910 on: June 25, 2012, 11:01:03 PM »
I don't think anyone who hasn't seen the ride in person realizes how crazy this section of track is. I keep trying to explain it, but it probably doesn't make any sense.

Right after the big drop, the track lifts up and pitches hard to the right like you're going up into an overbanked curve - but the pitch happens suspiciously quickly. From what I can tell of the new bents, it looks like this extreme bit of banking curves the course to the left a bit, but then while the track is still heading uphill the banking levels out and goes into a roll that flips riders to the RIGHT, coming out of the roll the footers sweep left again past the train tracks and down into the valley back towards the base of the first drop.

So basically this roll is both uphill and goes to the right in the middle of a giant left turn, all executed when the train is going at it's fastest. That's going to be crazy to say the least.

Oh yeah, I made this super crappy MS Paint drawing of the layout so far in case anyone wants to know where the track is going: http://i.imgur.com/UBdAK.jpg  It might just confuse you more though.  ;)

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: June 26, 2012, 03:34:33 AM »
If it is a zero-g roll, I hope they go with iron horse track here and not just topper track.  We'll see, I guess.

From an engineering standpoint, plus maintenance issues from stress, rider experience, and just plain old theming fun, it makes sense  to "break out" a section of track into all metal before returning to wood.

The current SDC coaster theming, starting with FITH, all involve (I think) some degree of "OH CRAP WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!", because it appears that the track is broken, or we're plunging into a hole and are about to be decapitated, etc.

Some PK-esque twisted broken track that is visible to the riders, while the actual track they're riding is not, would fit that theme well.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: June 26, 2012, 10:48:26 AM »
Gotta say, I think the coolest element of this entire ride is that fact that so much of it will not be visible before you ride. As much as I want to see the final product, I just love how much of it is secluded.

This ride will break at least one record. If that happens to be the inclusion of an inversion, I trust it will be done the right way and not thrown in as a gimmick. I'll take a traditional ride with great characteristics over one that's ultimately flawed just because someone got overzealous trying to push the envelope.

Outside of Buzzsaw Falls, I think we can all agree HFEC has hit all of it's marks with new major attractions. I expect more of the same with this one.

Really looking forward to less waiting on PK once this thing opens as well. If you head to the park the right time of the year, you can almost ride all of the coasters as much as you want in a single visit.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #913 on: June 26, 2012, 02:30:39 PM »
Caboose gone. :'(
Commence mourning... and go.
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #914 on: June 26, 2012, 02:47:25 PM »
Caboose gone. :'(
Commence mourning... and go.

Lame. So now both of the cabooses are gone? Any clues as to where they were sent?

I guess we can hold out hope that they show up again somewhere, but I bet they were either sold off or trashed...

And BackInTime, don't expect to wait any less for PK in 2013. In fact, expect all the ride lines to grow quite a bit. I expect their attendance to skyrocket like it has every time they have added a new coaster, and with more big rides come more visitors who are visiting for no other reason than to ride the rides. I remember back in the days when many of the ride lines were short because most of the people in the park weren't actually riding much.