Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 717965 times)

psychosaw13

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
    • Destination:Deserted
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #810 on: June 10, 2012, 06:08:30 PM »
I'm just happy to be here in the company of others obsessed with SDC & theme parks in general..all of you are awesome!
I ain't got no pants no more! The Dang Baldknobbers stole'em!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: June 10, 2012, 07:36:35 PM »
I'm just happy to be here in the company of others obsessed with SDC & theme parks in general..all of you are awesome!

"Obsessed"?  Well............  that's 1 word for us.............  LOL>.

crash

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: June 10, 2012, 09:29:33 PM »
So did the inversion rumor just float away or is there a possibility that it could still be in the ride?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #813 on: June 10, 2012, 09:45:10 PM »
^I don't think anyone's really looking for that to happen, though it's still technically possible. I think the inversions that were mentioned in the article are only available on the I-box track setup. Who knows though, I'm just not expecting it for this ride.

Had another great day at the city and rode the train twice again to look at the ride. I never did spot the tunnel, but this is what I've put together for the ride layout so far: You dip out of the station a tiny bit and then immediately hit the lift hill. At the top of the lift you take a sharp dip to the left and then plummet over a rolling, 81 degree, 160ft drop into the valley. The track lifts out of the drop into an extreme overbanked turn that rises towards the train tracks and then plummets back into the valley back towards the base of the drop, a full 270 degrees. I wasn't able to follow the footers farther than that, but perhaps the tunnel is down there past the drop, or perhaps there is more clearing and footer work to be done down there. In any case, it looks like the track will turn around down there and head back up past the drop again, because we know it passes through the lift hill. After passing through the lift hill, it looks like it will dive into that smaller valley immediately below the station and then curve up around until it finally crosses the train tracks again and into the station.

Oh yeah, I was wrong last night when I said there was only one bay for maintenance. There's clearly space for two in fact, so they'll be able to run three trains I'm sure. They'll need all of them going next year.

Photos will be up shortly.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: June 10, 2012, 09:48:19 PM »
Unfortunately I did not get pictures but I did notice that the track for the new coaster seems to be a rectangular shaped track that is hollow in the middle.   Sort of like a squared pipe but wider than it is high.  Along the train tracks today there lay many pieces of track. All curved and twisty.  A friend of mine said it looked like a twizzler.  Very accurate description. This is going to be a very curvy ride.
I thought this company had a box track system and also topper track and we were supposed to get the topper track.  This looks more boxy than anything else.  Am I crazy or did anyone else notice this ?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:50:32 PM by mhguy77 »

crash

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: June 10, 2012, 10:23:13 PM »
I noticed the box/ hollow track too. Thought it was interesting.  I noticed it when I was coming out of the park And on my way to Branson west I saw it.   It was After the fire station and the maintenance  parking lot there is a lot with a ton of the track laying there.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: June 10, 2012, 10:33:54 PM »
Topper track on Rocky Mountains website shows it being a rectangular hollow steel box. Now this is the first ride to get their own train with it so it may be a track design for their train that's a variation of what we have seen.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #817 on: June 10, 2012, 11:02:15 PM »
Unfortunately I did not get pictures but I did notice that the track for the new coaster seems to be a rectangular shaped track that is hollow in the middle.   Sort of like a squared pipe but wider than it is high.  Along the train tracks today there lay many pieces of track. All curved and twisty.  A friend of mine said it looked like a twizzler.  Very accurate description. This is going to be a very curvy ride.
I thought this company had a box track system and also topper track and we were supposed to get the topper track.  This looks more boxy than anything else.  Am I crazy or did anyone else notice this ?

The track I saw was just the new style topper track. Basically a slim steel rectangle that sits on top of the traditional wood stack. The I-beam track that RMC also produces is completely steel. They have basically replaced the big board on top of the traditional wooden track system with a big piece of steel.

Photos are up: http://sdcfans.com/photos/feat/23/

I have a few more "through the trees" shots, but they're really hard to see much clearly unless you know what you're looking at. I might add a few more tomorrow, maybe with another crappy ms-paint drawing of the current layout.

Wildfire

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: June 11, 2012, 06:37:55 AM »
Awesome pics! Thanks Shave! Wow that drop is unfreakingbelieveable! This coaster will daw people from far and wide next year. Looks to be a probable top 5 woodie if they incorporate tunnels and airtime bunny hops.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: June 11, 2012, 07:32:40 AM »
The track I saw was just the new style topper track. Basically a slim steel rectangle that sits on top of the traditional wood stack.
That is what I saw I just expected a topper to be a flat piece not rectangular with a space in the middle.
I wonder if the results are the same at the all steel track?
Twizzler tracks
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 08:09:35 AM by mhguy77 »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: June 11, 2012, 07:35:45 AM »
great pis shave, anxious to see it in person this next weekend.

Grapeslie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: June 12, 2012, 12:58:06 PM »
I'm sure though that this will ride beautifully either way! RMCC does impressive work! Now I understand this is their first from ground up ride but my gut tells me this is going to be amazing!
The Scariest Part Of The Ride Is The Lift Hill!

ljb2of3

• View Profile
« Reply #822 on: June 12, 2012, 09:18:08 PM »
Hey all,

New here, just discovered the forum last month.  Interesting place, nice to know I'm not the only SDC nut.  :) 

I hit the park on Monday and shot some video of the new roller coaster from the train and thought you guys might like to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FOy7YFRRCU&feature=youtu.be

-Landy

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: June 12, 2012, 09:30:38 PM »
Thanks for the video. That lift hill is something else! They are coming along well on the loading station area, too.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: June 12, 2012, 09:41:28 PM »
Some of you who have iPhone 4 or later should check out Theodolite, and see if you can't get some really accurate measurements.

http://hrtapps.com/theodolite/